U prefer editing on mac or PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahsamhui

Apr 12, 2006
Hi,

a question to those who had used Mac and PC for photo editing, which do you prefer?

And do you use a better graphic card for the task?

I used to use a 3D Labs open GL card. Photos do open up much faster, especialy when opening many at once. And that's about it. Ram and I/O help the most.

Saw on imac page Apple states that a faster g.card helps in photo editing but what does it really mean?

If you have or is using both, can share your thoughts with rest of us?

Tks.

on a mac, i read somewhere that PS has the ability to transfer some work to a supported accelerated graphic card,
releasing resources to do other work, thus faster

on a mac, i read somewhere that PS has the ability to transfer some work to a supported accelerated graphic card,
releasing resources to do other work, thus faster

that sounds pretty cool
im running on pc now
and it gets slow at time:(

That would depends if your are a Mac-user or PC-user.
PC user would not be comfortable using a Mac thus getting themselves frustrated.
Personally Mac seems to be more creative-friendly, sorry I'm a bias mac-user.
Prefer the execution of shortcuts using the command key(on a Mac) rather than the control key(on a PC).
Mac or PC, it depends on which platform you are more comforatable with.
This seems like a long-winded debate between Mac and PC. (or Canon and Nikon...)
Eventually what matters is the result and not the process of achieving it.

When it comes to Photoshopping I use a PC at home and have access to Macs equipped with it at work. I personally still prefer the PC version though, though likely only because I'm still more comfortable with the PC-based OSes than the Mac ones.

Having used Adobe applications on Windows and Mac OS X, I must say that I prefer working on Macs. Something seems odd about the applications on Windows, as if they're not happy on Windows. I often had to quit the applications and re-launch them on Windows XP.

Besides that, Windows was being a bit too helpful at times, especially with new equipment, but things like USB thumb drives and card readers that I would attach often went through the same "found new hardware" instead of just being there.

Either can do the job, but Macs don't get in my way.

as can be seen from the posts so far, both Mac and Windows PCs are capable... so for the umpteenth time, its what is good for you that's important, not what is good for someone else... as for the graphics card thing, its for Photoshop CS3, and it works for Windows too, but its only helping to render the 2D image you see on the screen, not the real number crunching in editing...

I'd prefer Mac. Although i'm on a macbook (tiger) and CS3 (which isn't the best combi of hardware), it doesn't crash/hang/lag as much as the cs2 on my windows xp partition on bootcamp does

IMHO, this is just like the Nikon/Canon comparison. haha but i prefer mac, although i'm a windows user. 'cause the colours are a heckuva lot better (to me) and the interface gels better. It's all personal opinion of course.

I prefer Mac. I use Aperture for editing and Photoshop CS3 for processing.

I have no preference because I use both. Sometimes on my desktop. Sometimes on my macbook.

I don't usually notice the difference. If I'm editing in school in between classes, my macbook will be on XP, so I use XP (don't want to waste time restarting)

If at home, I use mac.

However, I feel the mac version feels.. Nicer to use. =)

I use both for long hours. Mac at home, PC at the office.

I've never had a chance to clutch my fist in fustration when certain bugs present themselves.

The particular thing I hate the most is when I create a file on PC and want to delete it, it says resources are still using it and I can't delete it. That's just pure crap because I've already close the file. The computer wants me to close the application as well to delete it. That's just nuts. And you can't rename files because of the same reason.

This one makes me extremely irritated, when I absolutely have enough RAM via the task manager check.

low_memory.jpg

I've very little patience, and it's becoming worse.

--

Ultimately, it depends on what people value. It's like comparing taking taxi with the bus or train.

I get that too with the Mac. I seriously think it has nothing to do with the OS. It could be just Adobe Illustrator itself. In fact, I think Illustrator has a lot of plugins loaded which are hardly used and feels very draggy at times. Oh well...

I've work on Mac and PC as well but I think I still prefer PC because my PC's hardware is better I guess due to the constant upgrades I did.

And also, I do a lot of things with my PC, from gaming to report writing, to graphics design, to programming.

I've never had stability issues on my PC these days (a few years back yes.)

And if should there be a problem with PC's software or hardware during work, usually I am able to trace the fault and solve it. But if that happened to Mac, I will be lost and like "what the... this is a Mac and this kind of thing shouldn't happened at all..."

I've work on Mac and PC as well but I think I still prefer PC because my PC's hardware is better I guess due to the constant upgrades I did.

And also, I do a lot of things with my PC, from gaming to report writing, to graphics design, to programming.

I've never had stability issues on my PC these days (a few years back yes.)

And if should there be a problem with PC's software or hardware during work, usually I am able to trace the fault and solve it. But if that happened to Mac, I will be lost and like "what the... this is a Mac and this kind of thing shouldn't happened at all..."
I share the same sentiments as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.