u pay for the model or the model pay for u????

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujiu

Jul 20, 2004
Tampines
Hey.....

i find one veri interesting topic here?

Why do photographer have to pay for the model?? I tot should be the other way round? I think if the photographer is new, yup, maybe u pay a little to the model..let her pose pose and let u shoot shoot to test lighting and wat so ever.............. but if u are reali professional...y pay for them?? i think they will pay for u in order to have nice pictures..............Am i right????

To me, dun mind doing makeup for the model, in the same time i build up my portfolio as well, but i see no point doing the same makeup over and over again ...its doesnt reali built up my portfolio anymore.......... you should climb frm there...........

Hahaha...... ;) but if u see me doing the same make up again and again..its for the sake of living...not building up my portfolio hor......same goes to the photographers out there................... ;p

Hello! :) Hahaha.. so hm... which category do I qualify in? Model pay me or I pay for model?

Seriously though, I mean to you, if you do the same make up over and over again, it doesn't build up your portfolio as a makeup artist. But to a photographer, doing a shoot of the same style over and over again, churning out the same styles over and over again is as good as not building up the portfolio. Especially since to build up the portfolio, you should show variety of shots :)

:( for me still pay to shoot, wonder when will be the other way round :D

digipat2003 said:
:( for me still pay to shoot, wonder when will be the other way round :D

hey...when u pay hor...make sure u learn smthing hor...dun juz shoot shoot shoot.....and shoot.......

if lik tat hor..u sure pay for model until u see god..........

hmmm....normally when paid jobs come...u more or less impose ya style on the model after awhile...coz after a certain amount of poses...the person u are doin the shoot for will run out of ideas if she/he's not professional...

when paying for models, have to make sure tt they are pro and know wat they are doin....like tt u can see their style of posing and personality.....u learn something from it and bring it back to ya clients if it suits them...

juz my 2 cts....

basically non-paid jobs or shoots tt we pay.....its ok for me....coz as long as its fun....who cares....juz a tot about paying for shoots....muz learn something from it at least ya haha

cheers!!

jiujiu said:
hey...when u pay hor...make sure u learn smthing hor...dun juz shoot shoot shoot.....and shoot.......

if lik tat hor..u sure pay for model until u see god..........

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: noted jiujiu ;)

i'm still a newbie and not a professional so i haf to pay to shoot :) They have experience in posing and i can concentrating on shooting.

Jer76 said:
i'm still a newbie and not a professional so i haf to pay to shoot :) They have experience in posing and i can concentrating on shooting.

Well, if they are professional models, am sure they have experience in posing... but I guess ultimately, when the time comes to press the shutter release, you have to gauge for yourself if that is the pose you want, and whether or not it achieves the mood and the frame you have in mind...

Aimlessly firing off while letting a model do a random posing for you still gives you nothing in the end... you just end up with photos of a beautiful model, with her in front of some background... true that you can get a technically correct photos of a beautiful model, but you prolly already have had many of these technically correct photos to start with...

Just my thots...

In every model photoshoot.. everyone(photographer/model/artist/organisor) will more or less gain something out of the session.. . be it learning.. .. building up personal portfolio.. for the S-11.. making friends.....and the FUN ! :sweatsm: with everyone sharing and gaining..

Although sometimes I do shoot friends or strangers with no money involved... i am still going for paid workshops or model shoots... as every shoot is a new experience to learn and improve... which i think i need alot of exposure to gain experience and get things rite.. and not forgetting sharing ideas amongst the "kakis"..Or so to say as long as got gain from the shoot i not so "gey-gao" as whether to pay or not ...Just my view..

I feel money paid for the shoots is an appreciation or compensation to organisors and people behind the scenes tat make the shoot happen especially the model... alot of sacrifice to them like time.. rolling on the grass in bikini ..or doing a split and laugh out loud at the same time etc... so far the rates frm the organisors here is still fair and not too disappointing. Support Boleh! :thumbsup:

Well jiu jiu.. how about sharing some of yur art with me.. i like to create and experiment .. :light:

imagine said:
Well, if they are professional models, am sure they have experience in posing... but I guess ultimately, when the time comes to press the shutter release, you have to gauge for yourself if that is the pose you want, and whether or not it achieves the mood and the frame you have in mind...

Aimlessly firing off while letting a model do a random posing for you still gives you nothing in the end... you just end up with photos of a beautiful model, with her in front of some background... true that you can get a technically correct photos of a beautiful model, but you prolly already have had many of these technically correct photos to start with...

Just my thots...

Well bro i'll have to take one step at a time slowly and i feel i do learn lots of stuff in those paid model shoots together with other CSers. Of course I would love to go for those fashion photography courses and learn about different moods and lighting but the cost of the courses are way off my budget so i'll have to self learn and figure it out myself. And please don't say "aimlessly firing off" coz that's the last thing i'll ever do :thumbsd:

jiujiu said:
Hey.....

i find one veri interesting topic here?

Why do photographer have to pay for the model?? I tot should be the other way round? I think if the photographer is new, yup, maybe u pay a little to the model..let her pose pose and let u shoot shoot to test lighting and wat so ever.............. but if u are reali professional...y pay for them?? i think they will pay for u in order to have nice pictures..............Am i right????

To me, dun mind doing makeup for the model, in the same time i build up my portfolio as well, but i see no point doing the same makeup over and over again ...its doesnt reali built up my portfolio anymore.......... you should climb frm there...........

Hahaha...... ;) but if u see me doing the same make up again and again..its for the sake of living...not building up my portfolio hor......same goes to the photographers out there................... ;p
Spot on :p I don't mind paying for a workshop but the model has to pay me for pictures (that's why I am a photographer). Think I have never paid for a model shoot except for two workshops.

Jer76 said:
In fact, I don't think models know how to pose, professional or whatever. It is the photographer who pose models. Pro models are at most easier to work with, but the decision is ultimately made by the photographer. A photographer should only hire a model when he/she has the concept, instead of relying on the models to "pose" for them.

imagine said:

Just my thots...
oops, same thought. But don't mention "aimlessly firing off" ;) The results tell everything.

Jer76 said:
Well bro i'll have to take one step at a time slowly and i feel i do learn lots of stuff in those paid model shoots together with other CSers. Of course I would love to go for those fashion photography courses and learn about different moods and lighting but the cost of the courses are way off my budget so i'll have to self learn and figure it out myself. And please don't say "aimlessly firing off" coz that's the last thing i'll ever do :thumbsd:

Sorry for my wrong choice of words... my bad :embrass:

Well.....a model speaks up here..

As for me, I just feel...who thinks is worth it?

If a model feels is worth to engage a top photographer and to pay for great pictures to build up her portfolio, then of course the model pays the photographers.Just a gentle info, we models have to pay for our first portfolio when we started out this line. And this is where u, the professional photographers comes in cos the model agency will engage u to become their photographer =)

If the photographer is new, building up his/her portfolio and feel that he should engage some good/top/famous models whereby he can show it to his client in future, then of course, money to be spent.

I feel that everyone's expectation is different.

Some models may just go shootings for fun without charging and doing "tfp". Provided u pay for all expenses and they just bring themselves and the outfits.

Some models just want to charge charge charge...simi also charge...from drinking water to toilet paper also want to charge...

Some great photographers dun mind paying the models and make them happy.

Some photographers are "kiam", expect u to pay for the make-up artist, the studio, and everything...

**Disclaimer: Above statements are just for entertaining purpose, it does not consist of anyone in this forum, outside or wherever.

poisonlady said:
Well.....a model speaks up here..

As for me, I just feel...who thinks is worth it?

If a model feels is worth to engage a top photographer and to pay for great pictures to build up her portfolio, then of course the model pays the photographers.Just a gentle info, we models have to pay for our first portfolio when we started out this line. And this is where u, the professional photographers comes in cos the model agency will engage u to become their photographer =)

If the photographer is new, building up his/her portfolio and feel that he should engage some good/top/famous models whereby he can show it to his client in future, then of course, money to be spent.

I feel that everyone's expectation is different.

Some models may just go shootings for fun without charging and doing "tfp". Provided u pay for all expenses and they just bring themselves and the outfits.

Some models just want to charge charge charge...simi also charge...from drinking water to toilet paper also want to charge...

Some great photographers dun mind paying the models and make them happy.

Some photographers are "kiam", expect u to pay for the make-up artist, the studio, and everything...

**Disclaimer: Above statements are just for entertaining purpose, it does not consist of anyone in this forum, outside or wherever.
well said, poisonlady

diff ppl, photogs & models, pros & wannabes incl, hv diff expectations & requiremts. so who pay who, or even free as in TFP, is the contract b/w photog & model. it takes 2 to tango! :bsmilie:

Jer76 said:

I am not a professional and have no intention to be a professional.

While I am not an absolute newbie, I am not "green" either.

I pay to photograph. Not because the models know how to pose. I am absolutely not interested in that. Many of the pose shots are very cliche, and I find that absolutely boring. The kinds of poses the models do are precisely those I do not want. I pay the models because

1 They are comfortable in front of the camera
2 They can take my nonsense to ask them to do things which I want for my photographs.
3 Some models have features which I want to photograph

When I concentrate on shooting, I look at what I am looking at. Not the poses

student said:
I am not a professional and have no intention to be a professional.

While I am not an absolute newbie, I am not "green" either.

I pay to photograph. Not because the models know how to pose. I am absolutely not interested in that. Many of the pose shots are very cliche, and I find that absolutely boring. The kinds of poses the models do are precisely those I do not want. I pay the models because

1 They are comfortable in front of the camera
2 They can take my nonsense to ask them to do things which I want for my photographs.
3 Some models have features which I want to photograph

When I concentrate on shooting, I look at what I am looking at. Not the poses

Well said. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.