Types of Warming Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohck

Jan 23, 2006
Dear Forumers,

If given a choice, What kinds of Warming filters should i get?

1) UV
2) 1A (Skylight)
3) 81C
4) 81EF
5) 85EF
6) 81A
7) 81B
8) Redhancer
9) Käsemann

I intend to keep the filter on my lens permanently. 1A (Skylight) seems to be warmer than UV but also block some light (Filter factor 1.1 vs 1.0). 81C, 81A, 81B seems to be warmer than 1A but is this effect going to be natural on my pictures? 81 Ef and 85EF are the warmest but i doubt that they will look natural on my pictures. Will the Redhancer filter make natural photography unnatural for other times of the year beside autumn? Is the highly alclaim Käsemann filters really that good and where can i get them (not many places in Singapore stocked them). Besides UV and 1A, does the rest of the filters get rid of UV? If not, is it neccessary to stack these warming filters with UV/1A filters to get rid of UV(haze)?

For all the experts which have used these filters before and understand these filters, which filters will make my pictures look too unnatural? (due to them been too warm).

All advise are appreciated. Lets us learn from each other here regarding filters.

kohck said:
Dear Forumers,

If given a choice, What kinds of Warming filters should i get?

1) UV
2) 1A (Skylight)
3) 81C
4) 81EF
5) 85EF
6) 81A
7) 81B
8) Redhancer
9) Käsemann

I intend to keep the filter on my lens permanently. 1A (Skylight) seems to be warmer than UV but also block some light (Filter factor 1.1 vs 1.0). 81C, 81A, 81B seems to be warmer than 1A but is this effect going to be natural on my pictures? 81 Ef and 85EF are the warmest but i doubt that they will look natural on my pictures. Will the Redhancer filter make natural photography unnatural for other times of the year beside autumn? Is the highly alclaim Käsemann filters really that good and where can i get them (not many places in Singapore stocked them). Besides UV and 1A, does the rest of the filters get rid of UV? If not, is it neccessary to stack these warming filters with UV/1A filters to get rid of UV(haze)?

For all the experts which have used these filters before and understand these filters, which filters will make my pictures look too unnatural? (due to them been too warm).

All advise are appreciated. Lets us learn from each other here regarding filters.

AFAIK, UV and skylight is not a warming filter. UV filter is more neutral than skylight filter. Most people use UV filter for protection.

Regards,
Arto.

catchlights said:
Are you using film camera or digital camera?
If it is film camera, what type of film you usually using?

I am using digital camera.

Will appreciate some discussion on the types of warming filters to use.....

Artosoft said:
AFAIK, UV and skylight is not a warming filter. UV filter is more neutral than skylight filter. Most people use UV filter for protection.

Regards,
Arto.

Hi Arto,

UV get rid of haziness at ground level and UV at high altitudes. Skylight does have a slight warming effects. It enhances the blue components.....

kohck said:
Hi Arto,

UV get rid of haziness at ground level and UV at high altitudes. Skylight does have a slight warming effects. It enhances the blue components.....

erh... how can skylight be both warming and still enhance blue components? typo? heheh

Skylight 1B
- Reduce bluish tones in outdoor shots under shade
- Keeps skin tones natural and free of reflection from nearby objects

As for the other filters, it depends on where you'll be. Technically I don't see the need for UV filters in Singapore, other than for want of a protection. I prefer to use a Skylight. As described UV filters reduces haze when photographing mountains or marine, what chances of you doing those things?

If you're really fanatic about using the right filter for the job then you're better off buying every filter there is and change for every situation. Else just decide between UV or Skylight.

Status
Not open for further replies.