Types of slide films

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweek

Jan 17, 2002
East
www.weekai.com
Hi, can anyone give a quick rundown on the recommended type of shoots for each kind of slide film? I've only used Provia before, pics are slightly bluish. How bout Velvia, Sensia, Ektachrome, etc, what are they most suitable for? Thanks. :)

Hello tweek,

I tried Velvia, it is nice for landscape as what people say. It has very fine grain.

Astia for portraiture, I used it outdoor though. The result was avg to good, maybe it was me who couldn't shoot well.

Kodak Elitechrome 200, very nice color and natural, though can see the grain..I like this film..can't wait to try E100ES

Chris

Velvia- Scenary
Provia100F-Multi-purpose
Provia400-Good, not as grainy as a 400 should
Elitechrome-People in it will turn carrot[Orange]

Velvia - is my favorite multipurpose film. Incredible gamut, high color saturation. I use it for landscapes, cityscapes, architecture, nature, travel. Don't use it on people unless for special effects. It is the sharpest color slide film on the market - sharper than Provia.

100SW - warm tones, saturated. I especially like to use it for flowers.

Astia - moderate saturation, true colors, natural skin tones. Great for people, fashion, product shots.

100S - a 100SW's cousin, but without warming effect.

Fuji 64T - nice tungsten film. I like it for night city scenes.

Provia 100F - dull colors, biased towards blues. It has the finest grain (although Velvia has better resolution), and it pushes well.

I would stay away from any ISO 200 and higher slide film (tried many of them - poor colors, too much grain and contrast to my taste).

Originally posted by Tweek
Hi, can anyone give a quick rundown on the recommended type of shoots for each kind of slide film? I've only used Provia before, pics are slightly bluish. How bout Velvia, Sensia, Ektachrome, etc, what are they most suitable for? Thanks. :)

So far I've used only Velvia, Provia 100F and 400F. Used to use Provia 100F a lot until I tried Velvia. Ridiculously low ISO of 50 means that you can't really use it handheld under less than optimal conditions, but colours are very nice. Saturated but not overly so. Very fine grain, very sharp, supposedly better resolution than Provia 100F. I don't get the oversaturated skin tone problems that people have been talking about.

100F tend to have a bluish cast, particularly in overcast conditions. A 81A or B filter will probably help it. 400F has excellent grain for its speed. Similar (to me) colour saturation to 100F.

Recently tried 2 rolls of Kodak Ektachrome E100VS on my recent trip, but have not really evaluated the slides. Initial impression is that it enhances reds and yellows (typical Kodak) and has a warmer overall look.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.