Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henessy

Feb 1, 2006
Bishan
www.henessyphoto.blogspot.com
May I know what kind of light do you all usually use when shooting products like crystals or aesthetic accessories in light tents?

Any good suggestions?

Thanks

depends on the mood and effect and size of tent.

easiest, using fluorescent (cool)
then using mini strobes (plenty)
then using studio strobes

If you are shooting jewellery, you might want to use a small directed source of light. This will give the crystals etc a sparkle. You can create a snoot if your light source is too wide.

If you are shooting jewellery, you might want to use a small directed source of light. This will give the crystals etc a sparkle. You can create a snoot if your light source is too wide.

Do you mind elaborating more on it? Do I need to shoot in a very dark place?

Thanks

Do you mind elaborating more on it? Do I need to shoot in a very dark place?

Thanks

Not exactly, but do prevent any stray light from reaching it directly. Also, reflections from some other surfaces can also give you some unwanted colours.

I am not sure also. First time doing such stuff. May I know what do you suggest?

if the crystals are cut like a diamond (to reflect light and shine)
then a dark bg would make it shine more than a white bg

flat light from a light tent will not do justice to the crystals

Like what ortega suggests, you need a dark background to contrast with the crystals.

For the snoot thingy, what I meant was that you have a beam of light shining on the crystals. Control the width, incase you are shooting a pendent with a chain, so that it only shines on the pendent. You can use normal diffused light to light up the rest of the scene.

It would help if you tell us what exactly are you shooting? Earrings, chains, pieces of crystals?

Like what ortega suggests, you need a dark background to contrast with the crystals.

For the snoot thingy, what I meant was that you have a beam of light shining on the crystals. Control the width, incase you are shooting a pendent with a chain, so that it only shines on the pendent. You can use normal diffused light to light up the rest of the scene.

It would help if you tell us what exactly are you shooting? Earrings, chains, pieces of crystals?

Actually I am shooting some crystals and pendents.

Thanks

Any gd places to recommend for me to buy some light source?

I am using two 23W 1400lm Osram energy saving lights. Using a silk-like material as a diffuser. Will normally custom white balance. I just found a place where I can get my hands on some 60W energy saving bulbs, those kind used in shops for lighting. That might be too bright though.

I am using two 23W 1400lm Osram energy saving lights. Using a silk-like material as a diffuser. Will normally custom white balance. I just found a place where I can get my hands on some 60W energy saving bulbs, those kind used in shops for lighting. That might be too bright though.

Do you mind revealing the place to buy those stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.