Types of Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

estronutz

Feb 14, 2006
星尬波
http://www.canon.com.sg/digitalcamera/lenses_specs.html

With reference to this... Can anyone please enlighten me on the various type of lenses ?

What does this really mean ? EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM

What's the difference between telephoto, standard and zoom lenses ?

So big a price difference between 3rd party and Canon lenses ? What is the rationale ?

Hmm.. thats all for now .. Thanks in advance for those who are willing to enlighten this noob here :)

I think you need to attend a basic photography course.. Or read up more.. It will take longer than just a msg here to explain everything to you..

estronutz said:

With reference to this... Can anyone please enlighten me on the various type of lenses ?

So big a price difference between 3rd party and Canon lenses ? What is the rationale ?

Hmm.. thats all for now .. Thanks in advance for those who are willing to enlighten this noob here :)

hmm u have any websites that have info on this ? one more question for those who care to explain :x What are fast lens ?

I not canon user, not that sure.

but i know IS means Image stablizier.

i not that sure about the diff between telephoto and zoom. quoting from a book i read " a lens can only be regarded as a telephoto if its back focal length ( the distance sensor or film plate and the rear element ) is shorter then its actual focal length."

for a zoom lens : " designed so that a group of its elements can be moved to change it effective focal length and retain focus at the same time is known as a zoom lens"

i not sure about wats standard lens. but if its prime lens that u are talking about, then its lenses that cannot zoom! fixed focal lens....

read more, there are tons of websites out there. most of wat i read are mostly nikon stuff, so if u are using canon sys, might not be that useful.

Also go get a book! I borrowed the new nikon compendium from NLB and learnt alot! :thumbsup:

happy shooting!

haa haa, jus saw ur lastest post.

IMO and IMK ( in my knowledge) a fast lens is one that has a large fstop number like f1.4

as u know the as the number decrease, means the bigger the ratio for the aperture.

like i think a nikkor 50mm f1.4 is faster than a 50mm f1.8.

CS- Shens, correct me if i am wrong thanks!:sweat:

I read this book PHOTOGRAPHY by Barbara London and John Upton and here's an abstract:

Photographers commonly call any long lens a telephoto, or tele, alothough not all long lens are actually of telephoto design. A ture telephoto has an effective focal length that is greater than the distance from lens to film plane. A tele-extender or teleconverter contains an optical element that increases the effective focal length that is greater than the distance from lens to film plane. A tele-extender or teleconcerter contains an optical element that increases the effective focal length of a lens. It attaches between the lens and the camera body.

Don't really understand 100 % but I think it trying to say that long lens(zoom lens) are not exactly lens of the telephoto design. If I'm not wrong, telephoto lens are oftem more expensive too.

Please correct me if there is any mistake in my understanding of the above paragraph.

Generally Ultra-Wide, Wide, Zoom and Telephoto..

400mm Fixed Lens, DO (Diffractive Optics) elements (smaller size), IS (Image Stabilizer), USM (Ultra Sonic Motor, faster and quieter focussing)

Telephoto (> 200mm, for taking objects that are far away or when you need the perspective), Standard (50mm), Zoom (Has a zoom range, ie. 24mm ~ 70mm, 17mm ~ 85mm..)

3rd party and Canon

Hmm.. thats all for now .. Thanks in advance for those who are willing to enlighten this noob here :)[/QUOTE]

Fast lens.. Less light loss through lens optics, thereby able to take shots in lower lighting..

I doubt you can understand much of what I'm saying though.. And I would still recommend a Basic Photography course to you..

estronutz said:

as others have said.. thers lots of info on the net can read up..

check out
http://www.the-digital-picture.com

as for difference in cost.. well, theres many reasons.. one is branding. other one is technology. also , build quality.. e.g there are 3rd party lenses can have same optical quality as a canon L lens. but they arent weather sealed etc. also, as far as i know, none of the 3rd party lenses has IS (image stabilising)

I'm not a Canon user too, but will try to answer some of your qns as simple and easy to understand as possible. The rest of the answers you might want to do a search online.

Telephoto - lens which bring a very far object look closer.
Standard - normally refer to a 50mm lens, which is almost equivalent to the view through your eyes.
Zoom lens refer to a lens with variable focal length. E.g 18-55mm.
Prime lens are fixed focal length. E.g 50mm f1.8

Canon lens are more expensive, coz most of their lens are better built and with better optical
quality than 3rd party,
especially the L lens(professional grade).

Hope this information will help u start off learning.
Don't care so much about all these terms.
Bring your camera out and shoot more and join outings.
You will learn all these terms along the way.

estronutz said:

There are lots of information on each Manufacturer's (Canon, Nikon, Tokina, Tamron, Sigma etc.) website about their lenses, technology, abbreviations used and lens basic definitions/basics.

Each manufacturer has their own set of abbreviations even though many of the technologies used are largely similar. Go to their websites to learn more.

For Canon, http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/lens101/index.html

estronutz said:
hmm u have any websites that have info on this ? one more question for those who care to explain :x What are fast lens ?

fast lenses have wide apertures. smaller the aperture number, say, f1, the faster the lens, a set of lenses at f1 is faster than one at f4 (and more expensive) ;)

estronutz said:

EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM

EF series, max aperture f/4 with image stabilizer, powered by ultrasonic motor (silent)

missed out DO - diffractive optics.

IMK, since this is left out, 'F' actually stands for fraction. The number that follows the 'f' represents the relationship of the effective focal length of the lens to its aperture. For example, F4 really means 1/4 i.e. the diameter of the aperture at f4 will be a quarter of the effective focal length of the lens. In the 35mm format, a standard 50mm lens set to f4 would have an aperture diameter of 12.5mm (50mm X 1/4).

Therfore, the smaller f value will actually means the lens' diameter would have to be bigger and therefore more material and more difficult to produce = higher cost. Using the example above, a 50mm f4 lens will slightly bigger that dia 13mm whereas a 50mm f1.4 would be at least 60mm diameter.

400mm f 5.6 = 72mm dia
400mm f4 = 100mm dia

OEM brand, Canon or Nikon's lens will cost more that 3rd party because they are of "better quality" and 3rd party will need to lower their price to compete with the big brands. If the are the same price, there will not be any 3rd party lenses in the market. everyone will buy original lenses and will save us the headache of choosing which brand to buy.

DeSwitch said:
IMK, since this is left out, 'F' actually stands for fraction. The number that follows the 'f' represents the relationship of the effective focal length of the lens to its aperture. For example, F4 really means 1/4 i.e. the diameter of the aperture at f4 will be a quarter of the effective focal length of the lens. In the 35mm format, a standard 50mm lens set to f4 would have an aperture diameter of 12.5mm (50mm X 1/4).

Therfore, the smaller f value will actually means the lens' diameter would have to be bigger and therefore more material and more difficult to produce = higher cost. Using the example above, a 50mm f4 lens will slightly bigger that dia 13mm whereas a 50mm f1.4 would be at least 60mm diameter.

400mm f 5.6 = 72mm dia
400mm f4 = 100mm dia

OEM brand, Canon or Nikon's lens will cost more that 3rd party because they are of "better quality" and 3rd party will need to lower their price to compete with the big brands. If the are the same price, there will not be any 3rd party lenses in the market. everyone will buy original lenses and will save us the headache of choosing which brand to buy.

wow.. learnt something new from you.. thanks bro!

DeSwitch said:

is it F = fraction? I always thought f (written as ƒ) = focal length. hence it is written not f4 but ƒ/4 = focal length ÷ 4.

hmm... thanks people ... that google website is a nice one haha :)

Gonna read up more... before deciding to plunge into a DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.