Type of lens for type of photos?

galmen

Sep 3, 2010
Eastern Part of Singapore
Hi,

I'm a noob to Dslr and i'm trying to learn as much as possible from the fellow forumers here.
So my question to all you experts:

What type of lens are suitable for what kind of photos?

Base on a Canon EOS 550D body:

1) The kit lens 18 - 135 is for zooming far photos? What other lens does this? (brand and model and roughly the price if possible)

2) Macro lens are for close up photo like taking insect photos. What recommended lens would be good for this?(brand and model and roughly the price if possible)

3) Landscape photos uses wide angle lens. What recommended lens would be good for this?(brand and model and roughly the price if possible)

4) Portraits of 1 person or a group of people. What recommended lens would be good for this?(brand and model and roughly the price if possible)

Please kindly advise on my above queries, thanks :)

Hi,

I'm a noob to Dslr and i'm trying to learn as much as possible from the fellow forumers here.

1) The kit lens 18 - 135 is for zooming far photos? What other lens does this? (brand and model and roughly the price if possible)

2) Macro lens are for close up photo like taking insect photos. What recommended lens would be good for this?(brand and model and roughly the price if possible)

3) Landscape photos uses wide angle lens. What recommended lens would be good for this?(brand and model and roughly the price if possible)

4) Portraits of 1 person or a group of people. What recommended lens would be good for this?(brand and model and roughly the price if possible)

erm... i think you're asking too many questions in one.. there are heck of alot of lens out there... whether its canon or 3rd party lens... and many will be used differently by different people...

some people don't have the $ to buy the expensive lens can use a 18-135 for all sorts of things....

the price you look at the price guide section will tell you all u need to know plus the dates of the pricing..

the rest, i think really difficult to answer you.. too many choices le..

Hi,

Get the 18-55 or if you can afford the 18-135 and don't bother about the rest until you learn how to properly use the DSLR .

Hi Galmen,

Most important of all, before worrying about lenses, is to level up your photography knowledge first.

Many genres of photography can be taken with a Kit lens, whether it's the 18-55 or the 18-135.

What's important, understand what you like to shoot, what you like to invest your time in, and then from there, you'll be able to know what is the deficiency of the Kit lens before getting a better lens.

After more than 10 months, I'm still happy with a Kit lens, because it's an all-rounder. And it's cheap, should I break or scratch it.

i think its hard to recommend without knowing a budget.

for portrait,someone may recommend the Canon EF85mm F1.2L II which cost 3000+++ and that may be out of the budget for a beginner

Thanks for all the replies and links, i shall get the dslr and play with the kit lens for at least a year before i decide on whether i need other lens. Many thanks :thumbsup:

I have the same struggle in choosing the right lens, ended up with the 18-55. Now 48 hrs since I bought my 550D, still don't regret getting kit lens.

I have also decided that i should go with the kit lens first, but still not sure whether to go for the 18-55 (kit1) or the 18-135 (kit2). If the 2 kit lens is exactly the same feature other than the zoom range difference, then i'm not sure whether i should top up close to $300 for the kit2...:confused:

I have also decided that i should go with the kit lens first, but still not sure whether to go for the 18-55 (kit1) or the 18-135 (kit2). If the 2 kit lens is exactly the same feature other than the zoom range difference, then i'm not sure whether i should top up close to $300 for the kit2...:confused:

do a search on google to compare both lens... some people want the kit 2... but if you don't and you intend to upgrade in the future, then i would say just go for kit 1... use it.. 1-2 year later later sell n upgrade to a lens you will know how to use~!

Hi,

Try these site. it helped me alot when i first started out :)

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html

lenses might not be as updated, but after knowing the basics, u kinda get the drift of things

No worries about buying other lenses first, try and see what ur kit lens can do !

Ryan