Type of bag to use when traveling

Status
Not open for further replies.

czcsean

Mar 15, 2009
Bedok, Singapore
Hi CSer,

I do not know if anyone have put up this thread before, but i would like find out.
When you guys travel abroad, will you change to a backpack (for those who uses shoulder bag) or just stick to what you have.
I'm now currently using a shoulder bag but when I travel abroad I find it quite troublesome when I bring more than 2 lens.

Just want to hear from you guys on your opinion.

Thanks

If i am not bringing lotsa equipment with me, I'll carry a shoulder messenger bag which I can have easy access to the few lenses and my camera when I do street shooting. If I am bringing more equipment, I'll prefer to bring a backpack which is more comfortable. I never check in my equipments. I always hand carry them on board. Also, I like to have a waist pouch for my small camera and lenses for easier access to my equipment. If you're trekking for landscape photography, a backpack is more suitable. If you are doing street photography, a shoulder bag is more suitable.

Hi CSer,

I do not know if anyone have put up this thread before, but i would like find out.
When you guys travel abroad, will you change to a backpack (for those who uses shoulder bag) or just stick to what you have.
I'm now currently using a shoulder bag but when I travel abroad I find it quite troublesome when I bring more than 2 lens.

bring the correct type of lenses.

when i go overseas i carry 2 bodies, and light lenses. actually i don't have much of a choice, most of my lenses are light. :)

shoulder bag is much better than backpack for two reasons:

1) in crowds you can put it in front, backpack you can get all the lenses lifted in a crowd, and you won't know.

2) easier to change lens, instead of having to put down. and don't tell me "hybrid bag". i used before, i still don't like it.

Hello, czcsean.
I can share with you what I bring... provided you don't laugh at me... hehehe...
I bring everything in my backpack. And I bring along my belt system or at least a sling bag like the Lowepro Toploader.
I always find myself bringing too much, too many.

A. Light 1-2 days resort stay
Equipment:
1 body 1 lens with Flash
MAHA Powerex battery charger
Full set of filters & cleaning kit
Laptop
Tripod​
While travelling on plane / vehicle - Dump all into my backpack.
While walking around in resort & beach - Lowepro Toploader sling bag with camera & flash only.

B. Semi-light 2-3 days City trip
Equipment:
1 body 3 lenses with Flash
Laptop
Tripod​
While walking around in City & urban area with chances of close up and landscape pictures - Think Tank Steroid belt with 2 lens pouches & flash pouch + TT Holster pouch mounted on belt for camera & attached lens.

C. Lots of walking and climbing, be it city or trekking
Equipment:
Laptop
Tripod​
While walking around or climbing w all possible opportunities - Think Tank Steroid belt with 2 lens pouches & flash pouch + TT Holster pouch mounted on belt + Holster (the SBO-like strap for added weight support).

D. Heavy climbing with need for additional storage
Equipment:
Laptop
Tripod​
When on location - TT belt with 2 lens pouches for easy access + TT Holster pouch for camera + SBO Holster. Everything else + tripod on backpack being carried. This setup is like army's FBO like that.

... See? Told you already right? :bsmilie: Don't laugh at me. Some people say I am crazy carrying so much weight aound...;)

Last edited:
Hi CSer,

Just want to hear from you guys on your opinion.

Thanks

try the KATA bags... :thumbsup:

i just bought 1 last sunday in john3:16.. and i was so satisfied...there is so much you can do with this bag plus its lifetime warranty.

Hi,

For me, i like to carry light cause and most of the time the photos i took are mostly buildings so most of the time i'm in the urban area. I dun need to carry my laptop everytime i go for my shoot unless is studio. My concern is when traveling, my bag dun seems to have enough space to put somethings, well a backpack some how can create more space out of it

I always carry backpack when travelling. I use backpacks that allows faster access, like the lowepro fastpack or flipside. Both are reasonably safe because the opening is close to body, so people can't open your bag without u knowing.
I find that no matter how light, carrying even 1 body + lens for 5 hrs, sure to get sore shoulders, which spoils my holiday

C. Lots of walking and climbing, be it city or trekking
Equipment:
Laptop
Tripod​
While walking around or climbing w all possible opportunities - Think Tank Steroid belt with 2 lens pouches & flash pouch + TT Holster pouch mounted on belt + Holster (the SBO-like strap for added weight support).

After the equipment are transferred to your belt system, do you still carry your backpack? or you leave the backpack in hotel and you're out in just the belt system? I'll be going for a photography trip with lots of walking and trekking. I was thinking of getting the TT shape shifter backpack + belt system. Idea to transfer most used lens to belt pouches for fast interchangeability but still have some other options in the backpack. Meaning I'm shooting with both the backpack and belt system. I've seen the TT systems in websites and video reviews but have not really tried it out in stores to check the practicality of this combination. Any thoughts ?

Streetwalker HD as hand carry luggage to load all lens and my laptop on flight.Speed racer kept inside lugguage with a lens pouch.LC25

When travelling to shoot,slect my lenses and bring my speed racer. i use a harness to make it more comfy even though is a belt too(but i lose flexibility to change lens easily by swinging the bag)

i also have 2 bodies sometimes then i will use the cotton carrier carrier hook to the waist belt of speed racer.

i carry my kata 3n1-20.
it's slimmer than my flipside 400aw, but at a trade off better gears i can bring.

normal i bring body+grip, tokina 16-50 n a micro len for food,flash n other accessories

It's shoulder bag for me as I find changing lens with a backpack cumbersome.

i only got a body and 2 lens. so whenever i travel i bring my billingham original which fits my macbook pro too. :)

but now i am considering getting clikelite large hiker or medium nature for my mountaineering trips. :)

if i am not using my 70-200, i'll use a shoulder bag like the Urban Disguise 40. If i am bringing more gears and doing lots of walking, I'll use a backpack with the TT Skin Belt and Pouches to easily access the lens. I'm using a shapeshifter so the bag becomes compact once the stuffs are out. :)

For me,

Using Think Tank Urban Disguise 50 with shoulder harness for trips < 10 days

Anything > 10 days i will use Think Tank Airport Takeoff :)

if i am not using my 70-200, i'll use a shoulder bag like the Urban Disguise 40. If i am bringing more gears and doing lots of walking, I'll use a backpack with the TT Skin Belt and Pouches to easily access the lens. I'm using a shapeshifter so the bag becomes compact once the stuffs are out. :)

this solution is similar to what I have in mind. Does walking around with a collapsed backpack behind and pouches impede the walking? I saw from website that there is a dedicated slot in the shapeshifter that you loop the belt in. With the belt anchored at the back, will the pouches all congregate at the front instead and cause problems (walking with thigh striking the pouches)

Used a Lowepro Fastpack 200 during my previous 7 day Japan trip. Found it cumbersome in urban areas since it took up lots of space. 1 body + 3 lenses. The DA 12-24 stayed on the camera most of the time with the pancake DA 70 in my front jacket pocket for easy access. And yes, the huge DA 12-24 stayed in the pocket after the switch. Thank goodness for roomy pockets. :bsmilie:

However, when hiking mountains, the additional padding and top compartment storage was a welcome addition. Didn't think I could haul all that F&B with my daily ThinkTank ChangeUp setup. :sweat:

depends on the tour.

if its a relaxed trip....i would bring either,
a. Canon - 28-135 IS / 18-55 backup.
b. Nikon - 18-105 VR / 18-55 backup.
c. Pentax - 28-105 / 18-55 backup.

as for bag...in the above cases, i use a normal everyday waistbag or even a slingbag.

After the equipment are transferred to your belt system, do you still carry your backpack? or you leave the backpack in hotel and you're out in just the belt system? I'll be going for a photography trip with lots of walking and trekking. I was thinking of getting the TT shape shifter backpack + belt system. Idea to transfer most used lens to belt pouches for fast interchangeability but still have some other options in the backpack. Meaning I'm shooting with both the backpack and belt system. I've seen the TT systems in websites and video reviews but have not really tried it out in stores to check the practicality of this combination. Any thoughts ?

Similar sentiments here. What i had were Harddrive HD and Speed Freak.

I managed this recently in a trip and brought my gears out in Speed Freak, leaving my backpack in hotel. I even double a small non-camera backpack for extra clothings, water and some misc stuffs in. To take a picture, i will rotate the Speed Freak to my front and get armed.

It works very well for me except for the tripod which i find my backpack cannot secure it firmly. The downside is your luggage will have to make space for the addtional bags.

I like a belt type bag that also has a shoulder sling.

1. Relieves the back to carry a day pack
2. Distributes the weight from waist down (less shoulder/back ache)
3. Can choose to shoulder sling if necessary (eg. easier access or in crowds)
4. More mobile/agile w/o the bag swaying here and there in the case of shoulder bags.

Downside :
1. Typically such bags are smaller, so can't fit in very long lenses (eg. 70-200/2.8)
I manage to fit 3 lenses, 1 flash, filters though

Hello, nicky.
If I don't need the extra storage space in my backpack, I will just walk with my belt system and leave the backpack and all extra equipment in the room (if there is a safe in the room, even better).
My only qualm: with 2 lens pouches + flash pouch on the belt, plus the Holster, one tends to be a little bit too attention-grabbing on the street.
But just that with my style I like to have the lenses around and I do tend to change when the opportunity arises. So it's really Hobson's choice for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.