TV Tuner and Cable Online Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bean

Apr 16, 2002
www.pbase.com
I have a TV Tuner Card in my computer.

Whenever I watch TV on my computer, my cable internet access will come to a grinding halt. Does any of you face the similar problem? :dunno:

I use a cable spilitter to split the cable to the TV Tuner Card and the modem.

I have a TV tuner card as well and using cable but I have no problem with what you mentioned. Just to check if your TV is PCI or USB and your cable is using Ethernet card or USB?

Drudkh said:
I have a TV tuner card as well and using cable but I have no problem with what you mentioned. Just to check if your TV is PCI or USB and your cable is using Ethernet card or USB?

My TV Card is PCI and my modem is by Ethernet card

Bean said:
My TV Card is PCI and my modem is by Ethernet card
ok, when did this problem occur? before that its ok?

Drudkh said:
ok, when did this problem occur? before that its ok?

Haha.. Could not really remember. Cos I hardly watch TV on PC when online via cable. But if I did not remember wrongly, I could watch TV on PC and surf sometimes back.

Only lately then I realised when I switch on the TV on PC, the internet access slowed down a lot, many a times to such a rate that MSN Messanger log out by itself. So I am wondering what is the problem? Or is myself the problem.. :sweatsm:

Bean said:

Haha.. Could not really remember. Cos I hardly watch TV on PC when online via cable. But if I did not remember wrongly, I could watch TV on PC and surf sometimes back.

Only lately then I realised when I switch on the TV on PC, the internet access slowed down a lot, many a times to such a rate that MSN Messanger log out by itself. So I am wondering what is the problem? Or is myself the problem.. :sweatsm:
that's kinda hard to find the source of the problem, unless you know this happens after upgrading of hardwares, re-position of the PCI slots (some motherboards still has shared PCI), or installed some new softwares, etc...

Yup, I agree I am vague. If I know where is the source of the problem, I would have target the problem source. Haha.

Anyway, the modem I use is the Motorola one Starhub sold to me, and the plan I am using is the flexi plan. What happened when I on the TV on my PC is some of the lights on the Motorola modem will go off, and one of the lights will start to blick.

I know this is still vague, but that's all I know of now. Hehe...

I guess the best method to solve is to call the StarHub hotline up and ask them. And the reason why I post this question is to find out if this is a common problem or just an isolated one. Hee...

do you have another PC or laptop at home?

does the speed affected on another system while you are watching TV with the TV card?

sounds like the TV card conflict with the network card

check if they are sharing the same IRQ?

What kind of splitter are you using?

splitter.jpg

or

splitter.jpg

I think the 1st type has better SNR compared to the 2nd type. I'm presently using cable modem with TV tuner in my room. Never had a problem with surfing speed.

Use the splitter that came with your cable modem (the 1st type). You should be fine.

Might want to check for conflict between those two e.g. IRQ. You can try putting your tv card on another pci slot.

Just want to OT abit since we are on this topic..just to share my experience with TV turner card. Using the same setup as mention by darkness, I receive very clear pictures of free to air channel but when I turn to cable channels (I do have a cable tv subcription), there are horizontal lines running across the LCD monitor...any advise?

BTW, I'm using a leadtek 2000 TV turner PCI card

Jer said:
Just want to OT abit since we are on this topic..just to share my experience with TV turner card. Using the same setup as mention by darkness, I receive very clear pictures of free to air channel but when I turn to cable channels (I do have a cable tv subcription), there are horizontal lines running across the LCD monitor...any advise?

BTW, I'm using a leadtek 2000 TV turner PCI card

you need the set-top provided by starhub to descramble the channels.

Drudkh said:
you need the set-top provided by starhub to descramble the channels.

emm..ok ..maybe I was not clear enough, but I do have a TV set-top from starhub

Jer said:
emm..ok ..maybe I was not clear enough, but I do have a TV set-top from starhub
you see...how it works is

Cable Point --> Set-Top --> TV

The set-top controls the channels you view on TV, so if you wanna view on your PC, you will have to connect the source from your set-top to your TV tuner card. But changing cable channels will still have to be done through the set-top.

Yes..I do understand that part of the connection. What I'm saying is that the picture quality is not that good (ie with lines running across). Is it due to limitation of the TV tuner card or something else

Jer said:
Yes..I do understand that part of the connection. What I'm saying is that the picture quality is not that good (ie with lines running across). Is it due to limitation of the TV tuner card or something else
the signal will degrade as it has to go so many points and TV tuner card plays a part as well. I have the same problem as you too.

Drudkh said:
the signal will degrade as it has to go so many points and TV tuner card plays a part as well. I have the same problem as you too.

Gee..good to hear that I'm not the only one out here having this problem...hehehe :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.