Turntable & LP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
Dear All,

I am looking into the purchase of a entry level turntale to play jazz LPs and would like to find out where in Sg would be a goodplace to start?

I just need it to be able to be hooked up into my home entertainment system and I don't consider myself an audiophile so nothing too fancy please. :)

Thank you.

PS: This is a repost and I just need everyone's assistance in providing where to go and who to talk to in terms of getting this turntable of mine. ;)

I remember something about Adelphi & Bedok.... :sweat:

Anyone? :)

Thank you.

Contact Loupisk; he was the one who provided a link to a dealer in Bedok Shopping Center IIRC.

CHEERS!

What has happened to the other postings?:think:

Okie !Just saw the info. No worries ! Here is the info again.

You can go to Zenn in Bedok and see Gabriel. He has a few automatic TT at a reasonnable price.

http://www.zenn.com.sg/

Also Memory Lane at the basement one of the Adelphi. Look for Adrian. He also has some TT once in a while and a lot of Records on sale.

Check as well www.echoloft.com

Buy ans sell

Hope this helps.

Good luck to you.

What has happened to the other postings?:think:

Okie !Just saw the info. No worries ! Here is the info again.

You can go to Zenn in Bedok and see Gabriel. He has a few automatic TT at a reasonnable price.

http://www.zenn.com.sg/

Also Memory Lane at the basement one of the Adelphi. Look for Adrian. He also has some TT once in a while and a lot of Records on sale.

Check as well www.echoloft.com

Buy ans sell

Hope this helps.

Good luck to you.

Thank you. :)

Meanwhile, i made a short trip down to Adelphi and i was blown away by some very impressive looking turntables that look damn sleek... :bigeyes:

But the accompanying price tag was equally impressive as well... :bsmilie:

Welcome to the real 'dark' side! :devil::bsmilie:

Audio Hi-Fi is unlike photography in that the laws of diminishing returns apply so forcefully.

I remembered when I first got corrupted by my friends who were into British Hi-Fi. From the Thorens to the Linn Sondek, I was first made to 'see' the light with my favourite LPs, then introduced to newer and more interesting music. I was amazed that as a (not very cultured) teen, I could actually be mesmerised by orchestral and symphonic music!

Cut a log recount short, and with limited funds, I soon found that by careful selsection, I could get a system that didn't cost the earth. Besides, a 100K set-up is of not much use if you don't have an equally dedicated and fabricated sound or music room to play it in (I actualy heard my friend's rich paret's set-up costing more than that sounding worse than my sub-5K set-up).

Wolfgang, if you're a DIY kind of person, you could actually buy 'kits' (in the past - not sure about now) and make your own turntable fairly cheaply. If you think about it, the turn-table is nothing more than a slab, a platter to put the record on, a small motor to turn that platter and a tone-arm/cartridge.

Yeah, The Rega's are very capable performers, which explains their amazing popularity and longevity (the original P3 and then P2 were introduced and became instant success around the mid-80s, notably the RB300 tone-arm, a very fine and precise piece of engineering which is said to match or beat the performance of tone-arms costing 3 or 4 times more. The RB300 on it's own costed about $400 back then IIRC). The P3 probably made the owners very, very rich.

As mentioned in my posts before the server problem, don't get swayed and look honestly at your own needs, then decide from there. However, I would still suggest putting more emphasis on durability and reliability and to some extent, musicality over the bells and whistles 'convenience' factors. Also ask about repair-ability and costs.

Then get yourself a decent MM cartridge like those made by Audio Techinica* if you decide to buy a few more albums. I have nothing against Shure, Stanton and Pickering, but in general, the consumer range of US made cartridges aren't exactly known for their finesse. Tons of BRASH OOMPH and PIZZAZZ if that's what you like in your music. Also durable, which explains why they are industry standards for DJs. No offense to those who like them though.

CHEERS!

* I have no uber preference for Audio-Techinica, but my previous experience with their super cheap sub$50 cartridges right up to their top-of-the-range $400-$900 moving coils lead me to believe that they are very nice performers and offer tremendous value-for-money. My personal preferences lie else-where. However, go one or two steps above their cheapest cartridge, if you get one, for much better performance. The performance improvement for that little bit more money spent is disproportionately large.

Where the sky is not yet the limit:bsmilie:

Imagine I was shown a $15k stereo hifi set that sounds so fantastic, and yet I was told that was only their entry level set:bigeyes:

Thats not that half of it. I was shown this amp & CD player combination that costs about $30,000. :sweat:

Early this year, I got a Denon for $250. It can be plugged into the Aux of any amplifier and is ready to go. Pretty decent player for the price and convenience. The more expensive or older versions of turntables, some of which you would need the "Phono" input.

Audio Hi-Fi is unlike photography in that the laws of diminishing returns apply so forcefully.

I remembered when I first got corrupted by my friends who were into British Hi-Fi. From the Thorens to the Linn Sondek, I was first made to 'see' the light with my favourite LPs, then introduced to newer and more interesting music. I was amazed that as a (not very cultured) teen, I could actually be mesmerised by orchestral and symphonic music!

Cut a log recount short, and with limited funds, I soon found that by careful selsection, I could get a system that didn't cost the earth. Besides, a 100K set-up is of not much use if you don't have an equally dedicated and fabricated sound or music room to play it in (I actualy heard my friend's rich paret's set-up costing more than that sounding worse than my sub-5K set-up).

Wolfgang, if you're a DIY kind of person, you could actually buy 'kits' (in the past - not sure about now) and make your own turntable fairly cheaply. If you think about it, the turn-table is nothing more than a slab, a platter to put the record on, a small motor to turn that platter and a tone-arm/cartridge.

Yeah, The Rega's are very capable performers, which explains their amazing popularity and longevity (the original P3 and then P2 were introduced and became instant success around the mid-80s, notably the RB300 tone-arm, a very fine and precise piece of engineering which is said to match or beat the performance of tone-arms costing 3 or 4 times more. The RB300 on it's own costed about $400 back then IIRC). The P3 probably made the owners very, very rich.

As mentioned in my posts before the server problem, don't get swayed and look honestly at your own needs, then decide from there. However, I would still suggest putting more emphasis on durability and reliability and to some extent, musicality over the bells and whistles 'convenience' factors. Also ask about repair-ability and costs.

Then get yourself a decent MM cartridge like those made by Audio Techinica* if you decide to buy a few more albums. I have nothing against Shure, Stanton and Pickering, but in general, the consumer range of US made cartridges aren't exactly known for their finesse. Tons of BRASH OOMPH and PIZZAZZ if that's what you like in your music. Also durable, which explains why they are industry standards for DJs. No offense to those who like them though.

CHEERS!

* I have no uber preference for Audio-Techinica, but my previous experience with their super cheap sub$50 cartridges right up to their top-of-the-range $400-$900 moving coils lead me to believe that they are very nice performers and offer tremendous value-for-money. My personal preferences lie else-where. However, go one or two steps above their cheapest cartridge, if you get one, for much better performance. The performance improvement for that little bit more money spent is disproportionately large.

Thanks for the sharing mate. You've been more than helpful. :) I shall carefully consider my options i reckon and see where it takes me. All i know is, i would be looking around for a home entertainment system with a phono input. ;)

Early this year, I got a Denon for $250. It can be plugged into the Aux of any amplifier and is ready to go. Pretty decent player for the price and convenience. The more expensive or older versions of turntables, some of which you would need the "Phono" input.

Thats probably the same one i saw. ;)

Denon DP-297.

Yip.. Rega is quite popular for starters.. ;)

As per what Loupisk mentioned, Gabriel and Adrian are both quite knowledgeable, sure can give you some help!

Hahaa.. my kids are hifi hazzards nowsaday, my vienna accoustics suffered a few dent after my younger son slam it on the floor.. so hifi is taking a back seat for me now..
:cry:

Not much experiences in TT though, but did send my cd tpt, spkrs & some stuff to gabriel and adrian for servicing b4, they are pretty good :thumbsup:

Heard from simon that you r quite into hifi as well.. ;)

Seems like we drag our feet in the same ground. ;):angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.