Turning off Modem after shutting down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go green. Turn off if not in use. It is also reduce the risk of the equipment being fried during a thunderstorm. :)

Depends....I will switch off if I am going to bed or going out....But I will leave it switch on whenever I am around home in day time :lovegrin:

Its like your banana...does it go flacid when not in use or does it stand tall all the time and use up energy?:bsmilie:

Point to note. if your equipment is plugged in, nothing is going to stop a lightning strike over 500kV and 10kA going thru the small switching at the socket. Everytime you turn off the power supply, the system discharges and starts draining your internal CMOS backup battery, then you will find that you need to replace the battery every 6 mths or so. And everytime you turn on, there will be a surge of power to charge the empty capacitors in the power supply, reducing the lifespan. So you want to switch off still? Go green, leave them on, switching them off does more damage to your equipment.

Are we supposed to turn off modem after shutting down PC?

I asked my friends. Some do and some don't.

Those who don't say they do that to avoid reconnection problems.

Only when I am on a trip and will not be home for a few days would I then switch everthing off. Lightning strike is of little concern to me as in modern times this is almost not a problem with modern housing and HDB flats. I have not had a brown out by lighting since the last time I use a 19.9kps modem heh.. If you invested in a good backup power unit to avoid spikes..etc you really will not a problem of lightning frying your PC or modem.

Also it depend on your PC's set up. If you have set up your PC to be woken by a network or a modem..then switching off the modem and then calling in later will not wake your PC. Just like kkcharles I also was taught that switching off and on your PC or other electronical component too many times will shorten their life span so I set the system to go to standby mode, switch off my monitor and unplug other non-essential USB stuff attached externally. Anyway..that's just me.

you've read my mind! i've been wanting to ask this qn too (but i have a modem + wireless router combo)

so i shall leave it on, better? only scared neighbors will hack n leech my wireless LAN hehehe

please......ffs........in Singapore our buildings are protected against lighting strike/power usrge...come on ...think about it..if during raining day, you expect all offices and companies turn off all their pc , servers and electronic equipements???? then how to work???

to answer the sion question :

depend : some lousy router require you to reboot once a month, else you will notice the connection speed is very slow.
but nowadays board band are unlimited access. just leave it on lor...

depend : some lousy router require you to reboot once a month, else you will notice the connection speed is very slow.
but nowadays board band are unlimited access. just leave it on lor...

Bro ninelives, which are the brands/models that you consider to be lousy?

Bro ninelives, which are the brands/models that you consider to be lousy?

Linksys is one of them, there was one model that you need to restart monthly, it was a known issue, a lot of peoples were having that problem.

Currently the ASDL router/modem I'm using also have this problem but it wasn't that bad, i need to reboot it probably every 3 months.

I don't know was it because of the temporary routing tables and NAT, I ain't a network guru anyway.

ninelives, thanks for clarifying. Your reply surprised me. To me, Linksys is a 'branded' name.

Point to note. if your equipment is plugged in, nothing is going to stop a lightning strike over 500kV and 10kA going thru the small switching at the socket. Everytime you turn off the power supply, the system discharges and starts draining your internal CMOS backup battery, then you will find that you need to replace the battery every 6 mths or so. And everytime you turn on, there will be a surge of power to charge the empty capacitors in the power supply, reducing the lifespan. So you want to switch off still? Go green, leave them on, switching them off does more damage to your equipment.

The adapter get pretty hot after running a while. Will that be a firehazard?

At home, I turn them off to safe electricity and reduce wastage of power, and turn them on when I need to use it for a few hours a day. So far hasn't face any issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.