Turn off data connectivity when overseas

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
Unexpected Big Bill.

If you do not know that your phone is connected to some data provider, can get a shock after overseas trip.

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_594195.html

It is not easy to turn off the mobile phone data connection. Actually tried to turn off a friend's phone data connection to a telco (in this case it is not Singtel), so that I could test the GPS chip (if any) of the phone. Not possible. Somehow after disabling it, the darned thing turned itself on again. Maybe it is the phone controls. Or maybe the telco makes it tough to disable. (It is their good income stream)

If really cannot disable the data connection, then off the phone main power switch; and/or take out the sim card when you are overseas.

It is not easy to turn off the mobile phone data connection. Actually tried to turn off a friend's phone data connection to a telco (in this case it is not Singtel), so that I could test the GPS chip (if any) of the phone. Not possible. Somehow after disabling it, the darned thing turned itself on again. Maybe it is the phone controls. Or maybe the telco makes it tough to disable. (It is their good income stream)

If really cannot disable the data connection, then off the phone main power switch; and/or take out the sim card when you are overseas.
I'm not exactly sure what model of mobile phone that you are using but most smartphones has an option to disable data roaming or even all forms of cellular data connections except wi-fi under network setting so I don't really see what's so difficult about it.

RTM.

just off the data roam.....super easy.

Happened to my friend as well, using iphone3gs with SH.
Upload a few pics and bill come to about 400$!

Android auto-shuts off data when roaming.

ifone use the aeroplane mode loh. if wanna use wifi to upload, just on the wifi but not e fone network.

Happened to my friend as well, using iphone3gs with SH.
Upload a few pics and bill come to about 400$!

High resolution pictures? I certainly do not think that casual pictures uploading to twitter or facebook can rack up data charges of $400 (excluding sub, roaming call charges).

Important! Please turn off the data roaming when go oversea!
I suffered heavy consequences for not turning off when oversea.
I have to pay $4,5k for a month bill. :sweat:

:bigeyes::bigeyes:

:bigeyes::bigeyes:

Maybe some people installed some application to access data in the background (i.e push email, messaging app etc). The phone is constantly trying to access data unknowingly..>.<

for iphone i turn off the following:

notification (under settings)
location services (under settings->general)
enable 3G (under settings->general->network)
cellular data (under settings->general->network)
data roaming (under settings->general->network)

that should basically be safe as i am basically using only 2G network by switching off the above, so far i did not get any extra charges during my trips.

i dun switch to airplane mode cos like that i might as well switch off hp haha...

Seems like a design fault to not auto block data connectivity when roaming.

Seems like a design fault to not auto block data connectivity when roaming.
actually some ppl can afford and want to have data roaming, so you cannot call it a design fault

it s easy to turn off the data roaming on the iphone, so far have not incurred any surprises from my overseas trips

btw singtel has a service called "bridge dataroam" that lets you use data roam at more affordable rates

Last edited:
actually some ppl can afford and want to have data roaming, so you cannot call it a design fault

it s easy to turn off the data roaming on the iphone, so far have not incurred any surprises from my overseas trips

I'm sure some people can afford, and I'm also sure that telcos are happy if people forget to turn off their data when roaming. I do feel that this should be a feature that needs to be turned on versus on by default.

Oh and as mentioned, android has this turned off by default.

OMG!!!!!:sweat:

FYI, even if you are in Singapore does not means you wont get data roaming. My data roam is always OFF. Example of places in Singapore where you will get neighboring country telco lines are Ubin and Woodlands area.

You can easily clock up $2k in a single day if you use the default Maps on Iphone.:sweat: