Tumax DPT386 vs Nissin di622

speedtest99

May 8, 2004
which is better?

Tumax DPT386 at $190
Nissin di622 at $210

does both have master/slave?
does both allows AF assist beam on all AF point?

Last edited:
no comment for nissin..since i dun haf..
for the tumax..is really a gd deal...but if u require the AF assist beam at all focus point..perhaps u gonna stay away which is y i bought my 580exII..

i did a test yesterday for both my 580exII n tumax...i was surprise tat the "white" from the tumax is so much better than 580EXII while both NOT USING diffuser(both in ETTL mode)...btw..i referring tat..both head pointin toward subject (at 90 degree position)...
only when i draw out the in-bulilt wide angle diffuser from the 580exII then i can get a pleasing "white" flash...(which is almost the same "white" as tumax while not using diffuser)
as for the in built diffuser from tumax...u can get a very pleasing warm tone...(do note that the tumax probably will slightly over expose by perhaps 2/3 stop(when pointing 90 degree)..which can easily amend by -EV or faster speed...else u can always FEL (in AV mode) before u shoot...

tumax...is light n practical!!..

my review might not be accurate since that's jus me, myself n I...

cheers...

Im also considering the Tumax. Any more reviews on it?

I use Tumax flash & have no problems with the flash. Color balance is nice.
My friend did a test shot & compared it with his SB900 & he says that the Tumax color is nicer :cool:
This flash is value for money, a good work horse. So far, they served me well. No complains ;)

Guys sorry to hijack, is there a better deal out there in shops or MO has a better price? Thanks

Thanks but it's a manual zoom head right?

Last edited:
If you are on the nikon system, iirc tumax master/slave is optical and not cls compatible.

Nissin is actually upgrading the 622 to be compatible with cls (slave). I am not sure if the current batches have the new firmware in. It still retains the ability to be triggered optically. The 866 is compatible with cls master and slave out of the box.

Hope this helps.

If you are on the nikon system, iirc tumax master/slave is optical and not cls compatible.

Nissin is actually upgrading the 622 to be compatible with cls (slave). I am not sure if the current batches have the new firmware in. It still retains the ability to be triggered optically. The 866 is compatible with cls master and slave out of the box.

Hope this helps.
Thanks bro... lucky didnt commit... but how do i know if i buy nissin i622 is the upgraded one ?

Thanks bro... lucky didnt commit... but how do i know if i buy nissin i622 is the upgraded one ?

Doesn't hurt to ask the seller. And bring your camera and test.

This is the excerpt from Nissin's official website:

"OFF CAMERA FLASH
The Di622 has a special photo sensor built-in. Place the Di622 off camera and the flash will synchronize with the master flash placed on your camera. This wireless remote flash system is called slave flash technology and is often used for a creative lighting efficiency. Use the camera's built in flash, the camera manufacture's original flash or the Di622 as the master flash. Place one or more Di622 flash units away from the camera. The sensor circuitry of Di622 is compatible only with the latest pre-flash TTL system offered by Canon or Nikon"

So I guess now the new 622 cannot be triggered optically (manual). It can only be triggered by CLS or Canon's equivalent.

Last edited:
very infomative bro cheers thanks...