Not open for further replies.

alex01sg

Apr 29, 2004
SK
alex01sg.blogspot.com
nightlight1.jpg

nightlight2.jpg

What do you all think?

I like the 2nd pic for the composition, in which the black bridge, and the highway
behind the trees are given less significance, but 1st picture got better luck so the
light rays are less congested.

I did took a few shots on the other side of the lane, but the results also not so good

Nightlight4.jpg

nightlight3.jpg

Well, this 2 are - from what I see, the better ones. :sweat:

alex01sg said:
I did took a few shots on the other side of the lane, but the results also not so good

Do you like the orange tint caused by the sodium lights? I think it makes the picture look "muddy", especially the green plants. Adjusting the white point could give the scene a more attractive set of colours.

LittleWolf said:
Do you like the orange tint caused by the sodium lights? I think it makes the picture look "muddy", especially the green plants. Adjusting the white point could give the scene a more attractive set of colours.

Thanks, but how do I go by it? Can I do it from PS 7? Or the setting from my camera? I am using a D70 btw.:dunno:

alex01sg said:
Thanks, but how do I go by it? Can I do it from PS 7?

I'm not familiar with Photoshop 7 (and I find the menu layout of various photoshop versions pretty inconsistent), but I think there's a "colour balance" menu item. You could also try "variations". Alternatively, one cold also adjust the curves individually for the 3 colour channels. Whichever method you use, you can try to reduce red and boost blue and green. The downside is that, since there is so little blue to start with, you may end up with lots of visible noise in the blue channel.

To illustrate how colourful the result can be, see e.g. here:

Clementi.jpg

The "original" picture was just as orange as yours. There is no way to get correct colours with this kind of lighting, but I find it more pleasing to eliminate most of the sodium cast.

oh this is much better. Mine was like just came out from a mud wrestling or a mud bath...

alex01sg said:
oh this is much better. Mine was like just came out from a mud wrestling or a mud bath...

The colours are probably still there; you just have to wash the mud off with the image processing software of your choice. But let me emphasize that this is a matter of taste, and some people might prefer the orange picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.