Tsunami - anyone affected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conan

Dec 30, 2003
Singapore
www.skylightimages.info
Just got back from Thailand this morning...apparently my plane left 20 minutes after the tsunamis started hitting the Southern areas. Anybody down there? How bad is it?

:(

My dad's ex-colleagues at Maldives (Male) was affected. Apparently some of the smaller islands at Maldives have been totally covered by water. He will probably get more information when he goes to work tomorrow.

This Asia Quake looks pretty bad. The worst hit areas are Phuket, Aceh, Sri Lanka and Bangladash.

My condolences to all those affected by the quake and tsunami, both directly and indirectly.

Regards,
-Michelle-

I booked tickets with Tiger Air to leave on the 11th Jan to Phuket. Not sure if they would refund... you think ?

I don't know what has happened, but I remember some of my friends, some 15-16 of them... They were going to Phuket to go deep sea diving during this time... No news yet about them... :dunno:

nickmak said:
I don't know what has happened, but I remember some of my friends, some 15-16 of them... They were going to Phuket to go deep sea diving during this time... No news yet about them... :dunno:
Sigh... Last heard was all telecommunication lines have been down. They are trying to improve the situation there. Quite a lot of tourists trapped there now.

Regards,
-Michelle-

what a sucky thing to happen around christmas... :(

mich_2103 said:
My dad's ex-colleagues at Maldives (Male) was affected. Apparently some of the smaller islands at Maldives have been totally covered by water. He will probably get more information when he goes to work tomorrow.

This Asia Quake looks pretty bad. The worst hit areas are Phuket, Aceh, Sri Lanka and Bangladash.

My condolences to all those affected by the quake and tsunami, both directly and indirectly.

Regards,
-Michelle-

There are people killed....and the video shots on TV......is simply unbelievable...seeing Batu Fringgi Area with Boats lying on the road....

rgds,
sulhan

StreetShooter said:
Wonder why and how we were spared. I can't imagine the havoc a 10 meter wall of water would cause in Singapore. We are truly blessed.
Blessed is not the word......

No one knows...

rgds,
sulhan

StreetShooter said:
Wonder why and how we were spared. I can't imagine the havoc a 10 meter wall of water would cause in Singapore. We are truly blessed.

We are in protected waters yeh. ;) Protected by malaysia in the north and the rest by indonesia. If the quake happened in the indian ocean, we're covered by the island of sumartra and java. If its in the south china sea, its malaysia and the island of borneo that cover us. Besides....there are little islands that act as barriers....bintan, batam, sentose etc etc...

I was at Pangkor Laut Resort, Pangkor Island, off Perak last week and I was informed that most of the sea villas were destroyed this morning .... don't know whether got any casulties or not ..... sad.... :-(

Confirmed with the resort's manager this morning that the island is left untouched .... thanks God.

latest, some 6000 lost their lives.

marcwang said:
I booked tickets with Tiger Air to leave on the 11th Jan to Phuket. Not sure if they would refund... you think ?

only if 1. you had bought travel insurance or 2. Tiger Air is generous.

Conan said:
Just got back from Thailand this morning...apparently my plane left 20 minutes after the tsunamis started hitting the Southern areas. Anybody down there? How bad is it?

:(
Oh u really VERY lucky!!
I suppose to go tml, now cant liao. :cry:
Airasia refunded my airfare in full when i called in e evening.
Think may lose my deposit wif the hotel.

reno77 said:
How come there was no advance warning ? What happened to all those weather satellites and stuff.

To quote an expert on earthquake prediction (read this in Nat Geog some time ago):

"The state of the art in earthquake prediction is that we can tell you we are going to have an earthquake.... NOW!"

StreetShooter said:
To quote an expert on earthquake prediction (read this in Nat Geog some time ago):

"The state of the art in earthquake prediction is that we can tell you we are going to have an earthquake.... NOW!"

really good one!

Hiee....

Watched a Documentary on flight last week on Earth stuff....natural disasters.....of the past....

Well.....they featured a predicted chaotic period after a 600 yrs cycle and the next period of count for the "chain of natural disasters is......" is Now!!!.....

in the show....it said that ....the Prediction was based on the studies of famous geyser predictable frequency of firing at 45-90mins intervals.....showing that some of nature is somwhat predictable...
:sweat:

rgds,
sulhan

mich_2103 said:
Sigh... Last heard was all telecommunication lines have been down. They are trying to improve the situation there. Quite a lot of tourists trapped there now.

Regards,
-Michelle-

Someone manage to capture the scene from Phuket after it was hit by the tsunami

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=11580821

Taken with 1Ds MKII, wonder how he manage to upload the full res original photo to pbase :eek:

reno77 said:
How come there was no advance warning ? What happened to all those weather satellites and stuff.
1) That was an earthquake no weather satellites can predict
2) Regardless of whatever equipment u can lay along the fault line, the chances of guessing an earthquake accurately down to the exact time and date is like striking Toto Jackpot with juz a $1 ticket.

U want advanced warning with that? Wait long long. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.