Trying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Teoh

Staff member
Oct 16, 2004
Tampines, Singapore, Singapore
Took some photographs over the two weekends. Still not very sure if it is good or not. Do give me your comment.

P1000008.jpg

P1000009.jpg

P1000020.jpg

Cheers
John

To be brutally honest the shots are rather flat and lacking in contrast. In several shots such as 1 and 2 there is an apparent lack of subject, or your subject doesnt stand out; either way it's uninteresting.

4,5, and 6 are definitely better efforts than 1,2 and 3 in terms of framing the subject and having a subject. Try to use a cir-pl to achieve a bluer sky, it just looks more pleasing. For better colours you can try to overexpose by about 1/3 to 2/3 stops, but overexposing too many stops like in 2 is not good as highlights are blown.

I think 5 has the most potential here amongst the 6 shots. The idea is there, composition ok, lampost should be removed though. Try BnW for this and increase the exposure slightly. Would like to see the details on the face.

first few shots u got good and strong lead in lines...even with cropping

the rest i can see the idea in it...

perhaps wat u are short of now is some DOF control...learning wat to blur out and wat stays sharp and some post processing...

colours look flat...but tt can be easily settled wif curves...try out some of the filters for a better touch....

maybe u might wanna check out
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=899646#post899646

see when we got outing we all go shoot together...can share....currently i planning something for next sat..

cheers!
Gerald

U seem to have a problem with metering there. Suggest u go read up on that and on how your camera meters.

The weather hasn't been helpful so that's a toughie to correct even with C-PL. My advice is to bring your camera out all the time, not just the weekends. Who knows, the sunset may be beautiful tomorrow.

cheers.

Thanks all for your comment. Franky speaking, I still quite confuse as to what make a good shot. Will visit a few websites and see if there is any good books which I can lay my hands on.

Cheers
John

foxtwo said:
The weather hasn't been helpful so that's a toughie to correct even with C-PL. My advice is to bring your camera out all the time, not just the weekends. Who knows, the sunset may be beautiful tomorrow.

cheers.

And how many times have I kicked myself for not following simple advice like this , have camera will travel so take it with you whenever you can you never know what you may come up with .

I personaly like photo 1 as you have tried to fill your frame without a discernable subject .
Landscapes are not easy they can look flat and disorientated , look in magazines and nature books for ideas , try a few shots from the same place at different times of day ( sunrise - sunset - heat haze etc ) try different filters for impact , try exposure bracketing , dont worry if you dont get perfect results right away just keep trying different things with your camera settings .

Ive been trying for 30 years and havent given up yet ;)

Steviemac said:
And how many times have I kicked myself for not following simple advice like this , have camera will travel so take it with you whenever you can you never know what you may come up with .

I personaly like photo 1 as you have tried to fill your frame without a discernable subject .
Landscapes are not easy they can look flat and disorientated , look in magazines and nature books for ideas , try a few shots from the same place at different times of day ( sunrise - sunset - heat haze etc ) try different filters for impact , try exposure bracketing , dont worry if you dont get perfect results right away just keep trying different things with your camera settings .

Ive been trying for 30 years and havent given up yet ;)

Hi Steviemac

Thanks for the encouragement and advise. I'm intending to get a good backpack that can hold the camera safety so that I can bring it out as and when I like ;)

Cheers
John

Status
Not open for further replies.