Trying to do REIT

zhetrin

Sep 23, 2014
Singapore
Hey guys anyone has tried REIT before? So basically it's like an investment from a pool of investors toward a commercialized property that can be used to generate revenue (like hotels or service apartments). I have heard about this first in Bali and basically it is selling like hotcakes. I chanced upon something similar on weinvest platform and this time it's the banyan tree. Considering it's quite popular I guess the safety risk is smaller, no? Have anyone tried this type of investment before? Share what you think about this? :)

Hey guys anyone has tried REIT before? So basically it's like an investment from a pool of investors toward a commercialized property that can be used to generate revenue (like hotels or service apartments). I have heard about this first in Bali and basically it is selling like hotcakes. I chanced upon something similar on weinvest platform and this time it's the banyan tree. Considering it's quite popular I guess the safety risk is smaller, no? Have anyone tried this type of investment before? Share what you think about this? :)

Risk is smaller compared to what?

Anyway, as with any investment, it's best to understand how it works before coming to any conclusion. http://www.moneysense.gov.sg/unders...nvestments/real-estate-investment-trusts.aspx

The greatest risk IMO is investing in something you don't understand...

REITs can vary a lot in scale as well as location. Risk is measured differently for different REIT products. Looking at how property markets are now, do you think it is a good investment to go into REITs?

Considering it's quite popular I guess the safety risk is smaller, no?

How so? Please elaborate. I've not heard of the investing principle where popularity = lower risk.

How so? Please elaborate. I've not heard of the investing principle where popularity = lower risk.

Monkey see, monkey do mah. Like joining a long queue like that. Long queue must be good stuff.

Considering it's quite popular I guess the safety risk is smaller, no?
The "dot com" bubble was damn popular around the globe and everybody was queuing up to pump money into any company, provided that it had the magic words "something with Internet" in the business case.
The rest is history.
Or do you mean 'reita'? I love it, goes well with many spicy Indian dishes and it's cheap.

Last edited:
Remember the Minibond and Pinnacle Bond Saga? Extremely popular then and what was the outcome?
Collapsed & many who pumped life-time savings into them got back peanuts, if any....

Remember the Minibond and Pinnacle Bond Saga? Extremely popular then and what was the outcome?
Collapsed & many who pumped life-time savings into them got back peanuts, if any....

there's people throwing money at financial products in hope for returns

then there's true investing where a ROI is expected and the vehicle is well understood

of course the greatest value creation doesn't take place in buying shares of established businesses in stock market but in getting equity pre IPO

there's people throwing money at financial products in hope for returns

then there's true investing where a ROI is expected and the vehicle is well understood

of course the greatest value creation doesn't take place in buying shares of established businesses in stock market but in getting equity pre IPO

The greater the expected ROI, the greater the risk.

The greater the expected ROI, the greater the risk.
Or the negative side effects. Weapons Industry is still the perfect example for high profits - every conflict, every war makes a few people even richer.