Trying to decide between Canon Ixus 330 & Canon Powershot A40


Status
Not open for further replies.

lavenderlilz

New Member
Jun 2, 2002
975
0
0
hErE lAh
Hi all

I've kinda narrowed my choices to either canon ixus 330 or powershot A40. I noticed that the specifications for both cameras seem to be quite close - as seen from Canon's website.

However I note from several of the posts here that the aperture on the A40 can't be controlled - ie either max or min aperture only. Is this the same for the ixus 330 as well?

I would be most grateful if you could point out any differences which would justify the hefty price difference between the 2 cameras before I eventually purchase either.

Thanks

:)
 

lefei

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
704
0
0
38
North East of SG
lefei.livejournal.com
I'd prefer to get the A40 becos:
1) price. the A40 is considerbly cheaper then the ixus 330
2) expansion. the A40 is able to have add-ons. the adaptor costs only $35 and it is official fr canon, whereas the ixus 330 add-on is not official and i think it is rather pricey

drawback: the A40 is bulkier than the slim and compact ixus 330.

as for aperture size, yes, the a40 can only adjust min and max only. not too sure about the ixus 330. maybe other clubsnappers can answer this.
 

lavenderlilz

New Member
Jun 2, 2002
975
0
0
hErE lAh
thanks for taking the time to answer lefei:)

so what do the others think about either camera?

i noticed that the ixus 330 - whilst its very pretty - it seems rather small - do ixus users have difficulty taking pictures with such a small camera?
 

lefei

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
704
0
0
38
North East of SG
lefei.livejournal.com
Originally posted by lavenderlilz
thanks for taking the time to answer lefei:)

so what do the others think about either camera?

i noticed that the ixus 330 - whilst its very pretty - it seems rather small - do ixus users have difficulty taking pictures with such a small camera?
no problem dude ;)

as a female, most of my male counterparts were asking me why i dun get the ixus 330. i choose the a40 over the ixus because of its size (surprisingly) cos i am very chor lor one and need more grip. hehe... to each his own ;)
 

lavenderlilz

New Member
Jun 2, 2002
975
0
0
hErE lAh
hey lefei

i am indeed surprised to learn that you are another gal here. i had wanted to buy the ixus simply becos it would fit into my handbag easily hehe but am concern abt the lack of grip

well .... am still deciding

I am also considering olympus cameras - but don't know much about them
 

B

budiman10

Guest
the grip for me is no problem as the back of the camera there is a thumb groove tht helps alot.. as for the arpt can be increased n decrease in 1/3
 

Landes

New Member
May 1, 2002
151
0
0
37
SiNGaPoRu
gallery.misakii.com
Originally posted by lefei

no problem dude ;)

as a female, most of my male counterparts were asking me why i dun get the ixus 330. i choose the a40 over the ixus because of its size (surprisingly) cos i am very chor lor one and need more grip. hehe... to each his own ;)
U r not alone, heehee... ;)

I dun have a problem fitting my A40 into my handbag, unless urs is a very tiny one... The only thing I've problem wif is the weight of the cam and the spare batteries... But as lefei said, to each his own... The best is go down to the shop and try both cameras out urself...
 

wedgee

New Member
Jan 31, 2002
43
0
0
43
Tampines
www.pbase.com
Originally posted by lavenderlilz
hey lefei

i am indeed surprised to learn that you are another gal here. i had wanted to buy the ixus simply becos it would fit into my handbag easily hehe but am concern abt the lack of grip

well .... am still deciding

I am also considering olympus cameras - but don't know much about them
Consider this model!!! I was really impressed with it's size and functions!!!
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc40z/

Or lookit other models:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/:what:
 

K

kel

Guest
reason for ixus to be that expensive compare to A40 is stainless steel body,using rechargable battery,compact size,build in speaker,custom white balance good mode can use to convert to RGB filter save money on filter, all of these a40 does not have.TV can only be set when using night mode from 1 to 15 sec ,AV control by microprocessor automatically so its fix.any question regarding this two model feel free to ask me cause i have been playing for a month on both model every day.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.