Trying out symmetry shots

Yregraw

May 6, 2012
Bridge25.jpg
[/IMG]

1.In what area is critique to be sought?

Composition, Colour

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I am quite new to photography and really want to venture into various types of photography. I've been trying landscapes around singapore and found myself shooting symmetrical spots as I walk around

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Cloudy mid-day, around town area

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Personally i think the shot still lacks abit of something, like theres too much weight to the right of the shot

Yregraw said:
[/IMG]

Composition, Colour

I am quite new to photography and really want to venture into various types of photography. I've been trying landscapes around singapore and found myself shooting symmetrical spots as I walk around

Personally i think the shot still lacks abit of something, like theres too much weight to the right of the shot

no photos

a few areas are overposed like the centre-mid ground sky..

maybe you can try HDR?

I've tried a similar shot at the same location, and it was very difficult to get a good composition (ended up with no keepers), not to mention dangerous with traffic coming in both directions. Nice try, just your shot is a little over-exposed. May have to introduce a subject of interest to create a story for the shot. Keep shooting :)

Composition, Colour

Nice attempt, at least you tried to stick to your theme of symmetry. It's always nice to have a theme when you shoot so that you don't shoot everything and have shot nothing at the end of the day. Photography is about capturing what you envision in your mind.

In terms of colour, because as you mentioned it was a cloudy mid-day, plus a bit of overexposure, makes a photo a bit flat in contrast. Everything is the same shade of white and it makes the subject and background kind of blend together. What I suggest is to find a better time where the sky is blue/dark blue (e.g. sunny morning or afternoon, or dusk) so that your subject stands out better. In the evening because of the streetlights, it may give the bridge a totally different colour.

Unfortunately because of the placement of the buildings, that's nothing much you can do to "get rid" of the Fullerton Hotel in the background. I suspect the DoF play is also limited. What I suggest is to get an extremely wide-angle lens, and put the bridge right in front, so that the background elements are smaller. Or you can just concentrate on certain details of the bridge that brings out the symmetry theme.

Hope it helps, and carry on shooting! Do revisit the place again at a different timing and condition and see how it goes.

could use a filter.
hmmm one thing, not your fault but the yellow sign is annoying haha

Hey everyone, thank you so much for the constructive input!

I think i might actually revisit the place at a different of the day. Perhaps get a better shot out of it, or even hdr.

In any case, just join clubsnap, have to say, good community

there is always many places in Singapore to try out symmetry shots, i wun really recommend this place you are shooting to try out because of the distractions in the background.

Well i think it will be quite cool if you can camp till 2 similarly coloured taxis (same model) is on each side of the road at the same position away from ur camera! :p