Trying out DSLR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fathinzara

Nov 2, 2008
Hi there...
I am very new to DSLR... For the past month have been trying to figure out which one to buy... preferably 2nd hand as on a budget... I am getting sick of compact camera... Had tried my frenz D70 and a Sony A300 (I think)... and I love the feeling of being in control of the pics that I take...
I am thinking of getting a Nikon D80, but a bit high.. Is D50 good enough for me?? Probably my usage is mainly for family photos, outings and probably landscape stuff... My budget is 1k, plus basic lens... Someone told me dont get the D40, D40x, D60 or D70 bcos of some lens compatability issues... He recommended me the D80, or at least a D50...
Please help...

Hi there...
I am very new to DSLR... For the past month have been trying to figure out which one to buy... preferably 2nd hand as on a budget... I am getting sick of compact camera... Had tried my frenz D70 and a Sony A300 (I think)... and I love the feeling of being in control of the pics that I take...
I am thinking of getting a Nikon D80, but a bit high.. Is D50 good enough for me?? Probably my usage is mainly for family photos, outings and probably landscape stuff... My budget is 1k, plus basic lens... Someone told me dont get the D40, D40x, D60 or D70 bcos of some lens compatability issues... He recommended me the D80, or at least a D50...
Please help...

have u consider canon? may be can go feel the 1000D, 400D and 450D;)

Don't limit yourself to specific brands only, unless you're planning to depend heavily on your friends for lenses and accesories.
I myself use a Canon, so let me do some ad here (haha). Okay, I'm on the 400D, it's really easy, good to work with. It's light, capable. And the best thing of all, a second hand set would definitely not cost more than one grand (unless you're asking for too much).
But then, I'm sure many of us here would recommend you to head down to the camera shop and try it in your own palms. The 'feel' is important. Also, do your homework, do searches, read reviews. Compare different systems, bodies, lenses (if you're planning to go far in Photography), accesories that you'll most likely get.

Hi there...
Please help...

The D70 has no such issues. Again, make sure to hold the cameras in your hand, then go with what your gut tells you is the right choice. Ergonomics matters a LOT (which is why I use Sony).

Hi there...
Please help...
with your budget, this might be the appropriate thread if you are considering 2nd hand to save cost.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429593&highlight=400d+price

You have a decent budget to get a good cam. Why not consider the Sony A200 which is about $1k only (brand new).

If You miss your live view in your compact camera,
Then Sony A350/A300 would be a good replacement. (<$1.2 K)
I think it has so far the best live view in town, enabling phase AF (faster than contrast AF in some competitors)

And it is also coupled with DRO, super steadyshot and easy to user interface.
Should go play with it at sony galley to see if it will seduce you =D

wow a lot of brand pushing here.. :nono:

I'm a Canon user but I recommend Nikon. :p

Actually, I have somehow or rather make up my mind on Nikon.. Try and feel it.. Quite comfy... But need help on deciding on a D50 or D80..To add, I dont tink I will be avid photographer yet... or maybe when I really know how to play along dslr... Then I will get a better one... Just one of those who like to take beautiful pics of my family and those holidays trip we have... Or maybe occassion functions... Is it true that D50 & D80 is better than D40, D60 & D70??

My advice for a fellow casual photographer upgrading to DSLR:

1) Go to Courts Tampines and have a good look-and-feel of the cameras there. The staff aren't as pushy as Alan Photo or Cathay Photo and you can try Canon, Nikon and Olympus to your heart's content. Their range of lens is limited, but the aim is to 'feel' and handle the camera body and see which one suits you best

2) Buy your camera and lens second-hand once you've decided. Why? Because IMHO first time DSLR users will never really know if they want to use DSLR for the rest of their life until after they've bought one. So by buying second-hand, you'll minimise your monetary loss if you decide to sell what you've bought and either downgrade to prosumer or switch to a different camera brand

3) Remember to cater the following in your budget, camera body, lens and external flash (if your budget allows). The first two are necessary, the flash is optional only get it if you want to

You won't go wrong with Nikon. I am using a Nikon D40. For your purpose, I think it will serve you well. If you are on a budget and is unlikely to purchase new lens, then the lack of a built-in AF motor shouldnt bother you too much. The D40 kit lens is pretty good.

Having say so, the D80 might be a good buy now as it's price has really gone down substantially since the launch of D90.

Go try out the cameras... see which you'd like better in your hands.

THIS is the most important point.

I didn't have so many replies when I wanted to buy a DSLR... -_-

I didn't have so many replies when I wanted to buy a DSLR... -_-

and that was?? (years ago?);p

I bought my 2nd hand one sometimes in June /July this year..I didn't really ask cause (at times, some beri fierce:bsmilie:), so I just read and read what I could from here.;p

davee78,
Yes, sometimes no need to ask. Just go thru some old threads and most often than not, the answers are there. Some 'fierce' people as mentioned is due to TS not even try to do any homework. I guess some have this attitude and that's where the 'lau jiao's have a problem with. So far I see many here are more than willing a lend a helping hand or advise when somebody genuinely needs it.

fathinzara,
It's good you decided on the system you want. Advise is that you get the best one you can afford and not try to think of the upgrade for at least a year. Do budget for others like flash, cabints, filters blah, blah, blah also which sometimes can come up to quite a substantial amount esp when you're on a strict budget.

Thanx all for your advices... felt very heartening...

Status
Not open for further replies.