Try to stay away from Konnoc batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

kniveswood

Apr 15, 2005
Singapore
www.amerrymoment.com
So far I've bought three sets of 4xAA Konnoc batteries. The first two sets worked fine for my two cameras, in fact their battery life seem really good. At that time, I already noticed that the batteries are exceptionally fat and at times difficult to remove from the cameras.

The problem came when I bought the third set for a newly bought slave flash. The compartment is much smaller and the batteries won't fit at all. Remembering a fellow ClubSnap member saying the batteries started to fit better after prolonged usage and the label came off, so I proceeded to peel off the label.

I don't have much knowledge with batteries, but I suppose the labels aren't supposed to be peeled off. As I plugged the batteries in and turned on the flash, it didn't work. So I took out the batteries and in the process gotten a VERY nasty burn on my two fingers. The batteries were SUPER hot! Needless to say, the flash go up the lorry liao, and I hope I can manage to get an exchange. Otherwise, what an expensive lesson for me.

Now, even if you are smarter and didn't peel off the label, the Konnoc batteries might still not fit into some of your equipments. With so many other brands of rechargeables out there, I say avoid this brand until they work out that extra calories on their batteries.

:angry::angry::angry:

Maybe you can bring it back to Eastgear, I am sure they will acknowledge the problem if the product has been used within guidelines.

speculating here.

is it why konnoc's have been selling so cheaply, too?

the peeling of the label stickers is widely acknowledged as my own batteries do exhibit such behaviour.:sweat:
being out of size, however, is yet to happen, at least for me.
but konnoc batts do become very hot(more so than my other rechargeables)when charged.

Haha feel sorry for u but i dont think u are doing the right things by peeling off the layer of the battery . Have try my batt on SB600 , SB800 , SB80DX so far so good and loving it :)

lol hot nvm, just don burn my stuffs will do :bsmilie:

kniveswood said:
At that time, I already noticed that the batteries are exceptionally fat and at times difficult to remove from the cameras.

Batteries may differ in size but the difference maybe only 1mm. FAT? They are the same size as the standard Energizer AA batteries. :)

I already returned two Konnoc back to Eastgear as the "wrapper" break-off exposing the inner casing. So far Eastgear has been very cooperative, no-question ask exchange policy.
I will definitely not buying this brand again :sweat:

When rechargeable batts get fat/bloated it means that its spoilted already. Its a common sign for these batteries the same goes for the handphone batteries.
Stop using once u notice this or else it could spoil your equipment.

Dann said:
When rechargeable batts get fat/bloated it means that its spoilted already. Its a common sign for these batteries the same goes for the handphone batteries.
Stop using once u notice this or else it could spoil your equipment.

What he means is that the battery is thicker than "normal", not that it became bloated over time.

I compared my Konnocs with my Sanyos, and it is a wee bit thicker, but no more than 0.5mm. But I've never had a problem using them since most battery compartments are quite generously sized.

kniveswood said:
I don't have much knowledge with batteries, but I suppose the labels aren't supposed to be peeled off. As I plugged the batteries in and turned on the flash, it didn't work. So I took out the batteries and in the process gotten a VERY nasty burn on my two fingers. The batteries were SUPER hot! Needless to say, the flash go up the lorry liao, and I hope I can manage to get an exchange. Otherwise, what an expensive lesson for me.

Dude, you peeled off the "skin" off the batteries, and you are angry ? The skin is an insulator, you are not supposed to peel it off. You wouldn't peel the rubber coating off your electric wires just to make them fit through a small hole right ? You'll get electrocuted by the bare wires. Same logic for the batteries. It's just your own fault. I sympathise with your plight, but I think you have no one to blame but yourself in this case.

betazone said:
I already returned two Konnoc back to Eastgear as the "wrapper" break-off exposing the inner casing. So far Eastgear has been very cooperative, no-question ask exchange policy.
I will definitely not buying this brand again :sweat:
i'm returning the ones that 'tore'.

but i've no complaints abt the performance though. so far so good.:thumbsup:

hifisiao said:
Maybe you can bring it back to Eastgear, I am sure they will acknowledge the problem if the product has been used within guidelines.
There is no point, unless they would change it to another brand. Because every Konnoc battery is supposed to be fatter and it won't fit this particular flash that im going to use it with. Furthermore, the batteries are all barenaked now, I doubt they would even accept it.

Cheesecake said:
the peeling of the label stickers is widely acknowledged as my own batteries do exhibit such behaviour.
You mean your Konnoc batteries peeled till it's inner metal case is exposed? Even then it didnt do any damage to your equipments?

S11loop said:
Haha feel sorry for u but i dont think u are doing the right things by peeling off the layer of the battery.
Yeah I suppose that was a bad move. Maybe if I haven't recall someone mentioning their label peeled off, I would've went back to EastGear for an exchange instead of "ge-kiang". :(

Klose said:
They are the same size as the standard Energizer AA batteries.
No way are they the same thickness as standard Energizer batteries. All the 12 batts I have are all thicker than the various alkalines and rechargeables I've compared them with. Although they fit my cameras ok, they still get stuck a bit, unlike other batteries that slide out smoothly.

-----

I hope none of you will ever encounter this. Consider me lucky that it's "just" a flash and not a camera. Frying a cam due to $15 batteries would be BAD BAD BAD!

no leh... although it peeled... and was EXTREMELY hot when jus finished charging, it has done no damage to my camera nor flash..

but come to think of it, i dun 'rapid-fire' my flashes or camera, so i can't be sure if it'll really damage it. hmmm... but it was really freakishly HOT when it jus finished charging and if it is this hot when i m using my camera or flash, then i believe my camera and flash will jus die away. so far, yet to run any real 'on the field' rapid fire tests... don't think i'd dare to. its a few thousand $$ we're talking about! :sweat:

i think i shall not take anything to chance.

Cheesecake said:
no leh... although it peeled... and was EXTREMELY hot when jus finished charging, it has done no damage to my camera nor flash..

but come to think of it, i dun 'rapid-fire' my flashes or camera, so i can't be sure if it'll really damage it. hmmm... but it was really freakishly HOT when it jus finished charging and if it is this hot when i m using my camera or flash, then i believe my camera and flash will jus die away. so far, yet to run any real 'on the field' rapid fire tests... don't think i'd dare to. its a few thousand $$ we're talking about! :sweat:

i think i shall not take anything to chance.
Not sure how hot your "freakishly HOT" is, but the heat that ganna my fingers was MUCH hotter than what it was after charging. So hot that my fingers got bubbles now, like what would happen when you touch boiling water.

Furthermore, I didn't even rapid fire. All I did was put in the batteries and I noticed the ready light wouldn't come on. I hit the test flash button and there was no flash, so I immediately off it and took the batteries out.

Since yours is a few thousand dollars, I think it would be wise not to risk it with those peels!

kniveswood said:
Not sure how hot your "freakishly HOT" is, but the heat that ganna my fingers was MUCH hotter than what it was after charging. So hot that my fingers got bubbles now, like what would happen when you touch boiling water.

Furthermore, I didn't even rapid fire. All I did was put in the batteries and I noticed the ready light wouldn't come on. I hit the test flash button and there was no flash, so I immediately off it and took the batteries out.

Since yours is a few thousand dollars, I think it would be wise not to risk it with those peels!

i think most of us, with our cameras and flashes... are at least a few thousands... somemore mine uses AA rechargeables(S2Pro). i think i will raise a point with EastGear soon.:sweat:

the peeled off batteries has never affected me in anyway but after reading what u've typed and shared, i guess it warrants a check with them. can't help but think, is that why they are selling the konnoc batteries at such a knockdown price?

i paid S$12/. for 4 at the recent i.t fair!

Cheesecake said:
i think most of us, with our cameras and flashes... are at least a few thousands... somemore mine uses AA rechargeables(S2Pro). i think i will raise a point with EastGear soon.:sweat:

the peeled off batteries has never affected me in anyway but after reading what u've typed and shared, i guess it warrants a check with them. can't help but think, is that why they are selling the konnoc batteries at such a knockdown price?

i paid S$12/. for 4 at the recent i.t fair!
Thanks, do keep us informed of any replies from them ok? I got this thread subscribed. Meanwhile I try not to get any peelings on those used on my cameras. :)

If you peel away the insulator and have the bare metal exposure, the metal is the negative pole of the battery. When you put them side-by-side together with the two negative pole touching each other while one positive pole of one battery is connected to the negative pole of the other, you are basically shorting out one of the battery. Of course, it will get very hot, you are lucky that it does not expose.

Nowaday, all battery are getting fatter. My Sanyo also barely fit into some of the device and often difficult to get it out. The positive pole is also getting shorter (in order to squeeze more volume for the chemicals). In some devices, the positive is too short to get a good contact.

All because people are chasing for the biggest capacity. Remember, when it all started with NiCd AA size, they are only 450mAh (AAA was 180mAh). Nowadays, they are 6 times the capacity already.

Thanks F2000 and Splutter, lesson learnt. But I wonder why fellow CS'ers have no problem with their batteries when their insulators also peeled off?

Status
Not open for further replies.