Try lenses before buying?

wolvie77

Nov 15, 2009
Hi! All. anyone knows of shops that can let u try out their lenses to see the quality before deciding whether to buy? When i mean try, i mean just to try out different models & then come back when i got the $ to buy. I saving up for a zoom lens but want to really see the quality of the pix taken by different models before buying as its a huge investment. don't want to buy already then regret.

Hi! All. anyone knows of shops that can let u try out their lenses to see the quality before deciding whether to buy? When i mean try, i mean just to try out different models & then come back when i got the $ to buy. I saving up for a zoom lens but want to really see the quality of the pix taken by different models before buying as its a huge investment. don't want to buy already then regret.
Why not rent the lenses for a couple of days instead? :)

Agree that it's a huge investment.

John 3:16 at Funan definitely lets you do that. I tried out a couple of camera bodies and lenses a few times before I bought my camera and lenses. No pressure from them to buy at all.

Some of the other reputable camera shops should let you do that as well.

Hope that helps.

I believe that is what the canon and sony showrooms are for.

pixel peepers will let you look at pictures taken with virtually any lens around, if image quality is important then they can be used as a reference.....

Most reputable stores will let you play with the lens for handling, image quality cant tell by handling in stores...

agree with renting if you like ;)

happy shooting !!!

If you are regular and always frequent and buy from the shop owner or sales person, he will let you try. I normally drop in during weekday non-peak hours and while I am making decisions, shop owner or salesrep will keep asking me to try. Sometimes I also pai seh.

They know I take a while (normally 3-4 visits, each time taking back some info) before I commit but I have bought quite a few items from them, so they know me also.

Just curious how do u do pixel peep ? thanks and sorry for hijacking

Just curious how do u do pixel peep ? thanks and sorry for hijacking

bring your own laptop, snap some pics with the lens, download them onto your laptop and magnify them to 100%. turn around and tell the shopkeeper "walau, so soft one?? you got other copies or not? this one kenot accept eh! walau eh~~"

Sony style allows testing of lens with no obligations to buy.

bring your own laptop, snap some pics with the lens, download them onto your laptop and magnify them to 100%. turn around and tell the shopkeeper "walau, so soft one?? you got other copies or not? this one kenot accept eh! walau eh~~"

Wow...You really do this when u buy your lens? Sounds v troublesome for u and the shopowner...

You can ask to try out one or two different lens..but not those all on the shelf haha..

I know TK Foto at Bugis Shaw Tower lets u do that (lens testing)

There is a problem with that scenario...supposing you tested a very good copy, the shop has no obligation to "reserve" for you. Thats the risk.

The thing is the same lens model may have variants in picture IQ if you test multiple copies.

My advice is save up the money first, then go lens hunting. That way if you come across an excellent copy...chop liao.

You can ask to try out one or two different lens..but not those all on the shelf haha..

I know TK Foto at Bugis Shaw Tower lets u do that (lens testing)

TK is nice. They let you test the lens before you buy. I tried out a lens for very long before deciding but no pressure ;p

I feel renting is still the better option as you get to test the lens in more different situations compared to doing that in a shop.

I don't know how long you are going to fiddle with it but a few test shots in shop would definitely not help much to gauge the capabilities.

One advice.

These shops are great because they let you test the lenses and bodies right, even if you want to cherry pick from like 4 or 5 sets?

Don't you think they let other people do it too? What happens to the leftovers? Are you sure you're not picking from the leftovers now?

Or perhaps the one you've chosen has been handled by like 20 different people who tested it?

Some shops even let people bring lenses home to try - first hand accounts I've heard from reputable CSers. How's that different from a 2nd hand lens when I buy it now?

Hmmmm.

I feel that we should only try the lenses only if you have the intention to buy. Then it is up to you to select the shop that offers you the best service and price.

I personally visited some of the these shops to try a few times before buying for them. No problem at John 316, Max photo (centrepoint) and Cathy photo (Marina). I have bought items from all of them.

After awhile, they are all too happy to see you visiting them and trying out their latest goods.

Prices may vary a little from shop to shop, but if it is a reasonable sum, I will usually go to the one that has provided me with the best services (ie. usaully the one which has provided the most time and effort). It is only fair to pay for the extended services from the saleperson as well.

Enjoy trying.

I think it doesnt matter if it is tested by many people before, if it works for you, it works for you.

Sometimes it sounds a bit silly, there are people who want to try lenses before buying lenses, but don't want lenses other people have tried before. Something got to give.

The easiest way I usually approach is to do a check on the external parts of the lenses, mount on camera and try a few shots.

If all seems ok so far, check that the shop has a return/exchange policy with a certain number of days. Then buy it and test/pixel peep for the next few days to your hearts content.

Last edited:
Wow...You really do this when u buy your lens? Sounds v troublesome for u and the shopowner...

nope I don't do that but I'd seen some people did that before. Once I was at Cathay Peninsula... saw one bugger testing a 50mm f/1.8 II with his 400d/450d and his IBM laptop... then I overheard "wah, how come it is so soft at f/1.8"?

TK is nice. They let you test the lens before you buy. I tried out a lens for very long before deciding but no pressure ;p

Oh.. and I thought I was special customer :bsmilie:
I also frequent TK because they let me try try and if no other customers, can chit chat with them, then they tell you what's good, what's not, blah blah.

I heard they moving to Funan soon though. :bheart:
Don't think service level will be same once there, coz will be busier. But I think good for their business lah.

aiyo. so what you are saying is you want to try the lens with no intention of buying and come back another day to buy? if i were a shop owner, you will not be on my favourite list.

i think you need to rethink your decision process. i think it is relatively easy to read up on the lens and in terms of quality they are almost the same across lenses. so shouldn't you decide down to one or two lens that you would like to buy. in order to decide, you need to know what range you are looking for and aperture. once decided, head down to the shop, test the lens and purchase it on the spot!

i tell you most people regret buying a particular lens is not because of poor quality but because it does not suit their needs (or sometimes over time your shooting style changes resulting in the lens collecting dust and under-utilised).