True newbie qn: Thirsty hippo for silica gel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huggable

Nov 2, 2004
East side
A true newbie question: Can I use thirsty hippo in place for silica gel? Finding it quite a chore to replace the silica gel every, say once a month. I know that a electrical dry box would be the way to go, but like to get some advice from the more experienced bros while I look around for a dry box.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, that works. Any sort of dessicant will do. But be careful with that and other versions that turn to liquid. You don't want to spill any of that by accident - it doesn't clean up easily. Personally, I 'BluTac' the container to the inside of the dry box so it doesn't acctidentally spill. Handle with care.

there's talk around that thirsty hippo is too dry and it will actually dry up the grease on the rubber seals on the camera...
I know that dry boxes try to opt for 40% RH
dunno how dry thirsty hippo will make though..

Thanks for the replies! Looks like as long as it absorbs the moisture, it's doing its work. I'll pay attention not to spill the liquid from the hippo. Will keep watch on the humidity level of the box too. Should stay between 40-50%, right?

Should had taken the box of thirsty hippo from the shoe rack, no need to open a new one! The hippo might be able to dry up the silica gel too... :dunno:

i just put the thirsty hippo in my bag since i dont hav a box. too dry will crack rubber seals...does the d70s hav any?

The Thirsty Hippo in my dry box drops humidity to a constant 30%, a little lower than recommended. The main advantage over silica gel is that it lasts a lot longer.

Yes and after a while (like few months...) the drying capability goes up to 40 , 50, 60 and then time to replace with new one. If worried that it's too dry, occassionally just open the door for a few second and the humidity will go up again. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.