Tristao da Cunha - The remotest island on Earth! I have to share this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
I got to share this with you guys!! :)

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/journeys/photo_feature/tristan_da_cunha

Some quotes from the article:

'Lying about half way between South Africa and Uruguay, this is a place where lobster is cheaper than baked beans, where there are only two phones and where taxes for each islander come in at around £3.00 a year.'

'The loyalty to the island is incredible. As Leon Glass, son of the island's only policeman says, "Even the people who do leave tend to come back. There's no crime here and everybody has a job. This is a special place. Look around you. This place is beautiful. Nowhere in the outside world can compare to what we have."

Glad u guys like it.

I wish i could stay there man! :thumbsup:

Imagine some time later, a new picture added to the series, showing a couple of guys in orangy tshirts with odd half-lion,half-mermaid prints and complex cameras hanging off theirs necks, holding a sign saying:

"Clubsnap was here...so was the B&S subforum."

wonder what impact that would have on the local economy...:what:

the island of "LOST" :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

maybe u can find some secret government projects there... :bsmilie:

kenele said:
well maybe go there and open a stall selling clayfish or lobster noodle.

I'd rather do business of exporting of clayfish n lobsters. But the ferry sails only 8 times a year? hahaha!

Looks like a very beautiful and peaceful island. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to survive very long without an internet connection.. :sweat:

I wonder if S'pore had not sold Christmas Island to the Aussies, how different things might be for us. Maybe that would have been our equivelent of Tristao? :think: :bsmilie:

Hobbesyeo said:
Looks like a very beautiful and peaceful island. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to survive very long without an internet connection.. :sweat:

I wonder if S'pore had not sold Christmas Island to the Aussies, how different things might be for us. Maybe that would have been our equivelent of Tristao? :think: :bsmilie:

I agree with your second paragraph :)
If Christmas Island belongs to us, i will move there. I hate city life :angry:

Hobbesyeo said:

theres pros and cons if singapore dun sell Xmas island... hahas.

Pros: singapore has a truely ISLAND holiday resort there.... wonderful for singaporeans.. but a bad news for our politicians because island is remote and not many singaporeans are going there and not contributing much to the income revenue.

since its sold, the onli pros i can think of is the $ made from it. they used to $ for the pre-election lo... like the sharing of cash to fellow singaporeans... to give u a "KNOW-what-to-do" thing..

Cons: getting there is rather expensive. not many singaporeans will choose to go there for their holiday. they would rather spend abit more time and travel upwards to langkawi and get the same thing at a lower price den gg there so far away and spending hard earned blood cash

:bsmilie:

Sion said:
What do the Tristao de Cunha men do for fun?

I didn't see any woman in the photos. :)

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Actually there's no pictures of the locals in the website! Well probably that guy DID take pictures of them, but maybe there's no model release, so hard for them to put it up on lonelyplanet.com

behyx said:
I agree with your second paragraph :)
If Christmas Island belongs to us, i will move there. I hate city life :angry:

You still can come to live in Christmas Island.

Just tell the Australian Immigration Department that you're a refugee from the most progressive country in South East Asia with the highest standard of living and a highly trained and educated population and the most enlightened leadership. :bsmilie:

Thanks, u had just added 1 more potential travel spot for me. :D

I'm still looking (hopefully) at single trips to Yonaguni & Ogasawara Islands in Japan.

It looks like a boring place to some people but I would gladly retire there if I have the choice. I would love to be able to stay there.

Status
Not open for further replies.