trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
now... this is typical asian behaviour. cannot let matters lay to rest. the father already forgive... why pursue further?

greed? the promise of a windfall on someone else's misfortunes?

there are so many cases where family members turn on to other family members because of money... father sue daugther, son sue mother, etc. when it comes to money, everyone for himself.

No la, this is not asian behaviour. Its Amercian style, the sue country! :bsmilie: Not happy, see ya in courts!

Honestly I think the son is just trying his luck now that the case is in the papers. Realistically speaking on what grounds are you suing the 3 lads for? And which court to apply the case to? British Court or Singapore Courts?

not paying $?

and the 3 lads provided video evidence for their own crime

ironically

Well Done!!
While the whole world is trying to hunt down the three hooligans and castigate them , a Singapore Taxi driver help drive them away from the scence.

Blame ourselves..... our education.....our system...

There's a US$250,000 bounty each on their heads:bsmilie:

Good Points to ponder:

"On a side note, why are our elderly working such a tough job at such an old age? Is it because their public assistance grant of S$290/mth is not enough? I leave it to you to find out. These are the same people who built Singapore to what it is today but they can't enjoy the fruits of their labour and even have to be humiliated by tourists. This trishaw rider was a construction worker in his younger days so he literally built Singapore up! What is being done to help these people?

If you see senior citizens on the streets peddling their wares to earn a meagre living, please have a heart and buy whatever they are selling. Your comfortable lives in Singapore today are fruits of their labour."

Exactly! And not all 'foreign talents' are like that, I am amazed to read some of the nasty replies in the other sites.......

I know not all Singaporeans are generalising, but it does happen so often, I mean not all Singaporeans for example are 'kiasu', isn't it? I have heard really nasty things how some people in Singapore call one another names to people from other races......

Apart from pointing fingers to these three guys, which is perfectly correct for the bad deeds they did to the old man, we should also look at ourselves first......

HS

you make an excellent point

however, i thought they paid the guy $5
they did not and ran off...i still do not call what they did bullying, but i do call it ripping off the old fella.

anyway, yeah one thing this has shown is that there are irresponsible young...key word young men from uk, as is everywhere. young people do stupid things. what is even worse is the amount of racism that singapore has shown with the responses on youtube...and when i told my friends back home to take a look at the clip, they told what the people here are doing is worse than what the brits did and asked me if it was really that racial...i told them yeah, there are race issues here, as is everywhere, but the thing is, no one talks about it because it is a "forbidden" topic.

i really don't get it, from the other post all people talked about how the brits treated the old man, yet no almost no one talks about how locals treats their old as in the foodcourts or mrts or buses etc. i think this is the part that gets to me how yes just as you said people need to look at themselves and take care of the old folks. the brits, that situation is basically done and will be corrected, but the thing is, what are each of you doing today to help out your elderly countrymen...and that to me always has been the bigger issue.

my suggestion was simply empty your own tray at a foodcourt to make an older persons job a bit easier and i got responses like then the old folks wont have a job...kiasu or stupidity or both?

so again, now that everyone is happy the brits are going to pay for this, how or what will you do to show respect to an older person...will you empty your tray, will you let them have a seat? will you buy a packet of tissue? will you act politically for the betterment as you see fit? what will you do? or are you the type that won't do anything but look at others instead of yourself and grumble on a message board. it does not stop with the brits, its continues still but now with all of us just to do at least one nice thing for an older person each day. who knows, maybe today my act of kindness of giving up my seat on the mrt was for your mom or grandma?

have a good day

No la, this is not asian behaviour. Its Amercian style, the sue country! :bsmilie: Not happy, see ya in courts!

america is the sue country and singapore is the sue famiLEE :bsmilie:

you make an excellent point

however, i thought they paid the guy $5
they did not and ran off...i still do not call what they did bullying, but i do call it ripping off the old fella.

Doesn't what they did count as defrauding someone? :think:

They did that because they knew they could get away with it in Singapore.

They would not want to pull this stunt in:

a. Sicily (home of the Mafia)

b. Afghanistan (just try it)

c. Indonesia (The trishaw riders have a sharp knife which they do not hesitate to use. Can the Brits report to the Indonesian police after angry trishaw rider has cut them up for not paying? Ha.. Ha.. Ha.. Ha.. Ha.. ha..You mean the Indon police will care? Then you really do not know how Indonesia works.... )

the circle starts again............

Doesn't what they did count as defrauding someone? :think:

defraud...hard to say, i mean no one knows what was in there minds whether they really intended to pay or not. i mean the trike driver could be defraud to if he normally charge a local $5 and a tourist $10 for the same trip... anyway maybe my definition of bully is different from most people here but either way yeah if these guys did not even pay the fella they deserve everything coming way

regardless, i'd like to see people responding to what can they do or how will they show more respect to the old folks here. i mean what good is winning this battle if the real war is how you treat your own and each other?

the other thing is now after seemingly getting what you (i'm talking in general, not you specifically) want, a public outcry and apology, how do you see the racist remarks on places such as youtube and sammyboy?

i guess my point being that if you will say not every singaporean is like that or feels that way, welll errrrr, could not the same be said for every brit or foreigner?

c. Indonesia (The trishaw riders have a sharp knife which they do not hesitate to use. Can the Brits report to the Indonesian police after angry trishaw rider has cut them up for not paying? Ha.. Ha.. Ha.. Ha.. Ha.. ha..You mean the Indon police will care? Then you really do not know how Indonesia works.... )

thats a bunch of bs....
people still murder here, and we all know people on holiday are more likely to act dumb or do things they would not normally do i their everyday lives. on the otherhand, if you feel that strongly about it, it goes to say that people see singaporeans as weak and will take advantage of them. i don't see it that way. therefore, why do you think foreigners see you or your countrymen as weak?

If you so want retribution against then why don't you form a lynch mob and camp outside the British High Comm?

i am permanently amused by the "link this to out of point stuff" syndrome

I do not know how much you have been through life.
You can try to pull this kind of stunt in the 70's and 80's in my kampong and try to imagine your plight.
Todays, Singaporeans got ripped off in Vietnam and Bali while riding triwshaw. Is it because Singaporean have a "bully me" face??

We have lost our kampong spirit and cohesiveness, and that is what I am trying to say.
Did you shcool teaches you how to handle bullies beside dailing 999 and compliant to your mommy?

Good Points to ponder:

"On a side note, why are our elderly working such a tough job at such an old age? Is it because their public assistance grant of S$290/mth is not enough? I leave it to you to find out. These are the same people who built Singapore to what it is today but they can't enjoy the fruits of their labour and even have to be humiliated by tourists. This trishaw rider was a construction worker in his younger days so he literally built Singapore up! What is being done to help these people?

If you see senior citizens on the streets peddling their wares to earn a meagre living, please have a heart and buy whatever they are selling. Your comfortable lives in Singapore today are fruits of their labour."
Sadly enough most people are becoming more selfish nowadays, and this is a worldwide trend, perhaps (I think definitely) too many advertisements and lifestyle ads? These ads keep telling us how we should live our lives, how we should use our hard earned money to spend on that latest TV, camera, instead of using it wisely........

We take it for granted what our parents (well not mine as they were busy building up Indonesia he he he) did to built up this country, go to the chinatown museum and see and realise how the 50-60's generation lived all the way up to the early eighties. Don't forget, we will be in their shoes later too......

We also take it for granted the numerous foreign workers who also built up Singapore as building workers, and yet get so much bad treatments and also being looked down upon by many locals.......

Think about it when you step in into that nice aircon building that you are working in.....or the HDB flat you live in.

HS

Sadly enough most people are becoming more selfish nowadays, and this is a worldwide trend, perhaps (I think definitely) too many advertisements and lifestyle ads? These ads keep telling us how we should live our lives, how we should use our hard earned money to spend on that latest TV, camera, instead of using it wisely........

We take it for granted what our parents (well not mine as they were busy building up Indonesia he he he) did to built up this country, go to the chinatown museum and see and realise how the 50-60's generation lived all the way up to the early eighties. Don't forget, we will be in their shoes later too......

We also take it for granted the numerous foreign workers who also built up Singapore as building workers, and yet get so much bad treatments and also being looked down upon by many locals.......

Think about it when you step in into that nice aircon building that you are working in.....or the HDB flat you live in.

HS

I agree with you.

We are becoming more selfish now’s a day.
Our education has failed us, we are becoming more intolerance towards others and becoming too full of ourselves. Looking at some of the comments in the Portrait forum makes me feel so. Is there a need to condemn a picture just because the comentor himself label it as a snap shot and get jealous over some flattery remakes given by others? The picture is no longer impaotant, "Snap shot" has taken over as the main subject.

While we are critising the three Brits, we should also question ourselves. Why is this happening to an old man? Why did the Taxi driver continues to service the three hooligans?

Reply from the British High Commission:

Sent on behalf of the Director- General, Political and Communications.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for your email about the on-line video of three British tourists and an elderly trishaw rider in Singapore. We have looked at the video and agree that disrespectful behaviour is not to be condoned. We understand from the media that the individual concerned has apologised for his actions. Half a million British visitors come to Singapore each year and problems are very rare. They like being here, and enjoy meeting Singaporeans, whilst bringing significant benefits to the local economy.

Philip Malone
Director-General
Political & Communications
British High Commission

In Indonesia there is a chance they would get lynched by the crowd......:)

Anyway, I take this is as an action done by youngsters influenched by a common behaviour when people are in a group (hooligans), when they are alone, it is less likely they would pull up a stunt like this.....

HS

Status
Not open for further replies.