Tripon Handcarry on a Backpackers???

canonid

Deregistered
Jan 21, 2011
Hi,

Just want to inquire about bring a tripod Hand-Carried on an overseas trip???

Anyone of you tried to bring hand-carry tripod on a flight (Jetstar Backpackers)???

Did they allowed it in the immigration??

I'm going to Phuket for 3 days trip and I'm planning to bring a tripod (Fancier) with me but im scared that they wont allow it hand-carried.

I'm only allowed to have a 7kg Backpack and NO Check-IN. If they ask me to check-it in, I need to pay... This is what im avoiding...

Any advice on bring a tripod on a overseas trip????

Rather than spending time highlighting and playing with colors in your post, try clicking the SEARCH button at the top.

Try a search for "tripod carry-on" or "tripod jetstar"

not to mention asking jetstar too :)

Does your tripod come with passport? If not I don't see any relevance for immigration ...

Does your tripod come with passport? If not I don't see any relevance for immigration ...

I think he might mean it as a restricted item or something. Things like nail clippers and aerosol cans cannot bring nowadays also, TS might be worried about this:think:

Well, to answer your question TS..

I took Jetstar to HK last november... Hand-held my camera bag and tripod into the aircraft. No issues at all...

My tripod is quite bulky and sometimes they do not let u in with that item. Ask u to check it in. Varies from country to country and airlines

best to check in, don't risk getting it confiscated.

Rather than spending time highlighting and playing with colors in your post, try clicking the SEARCH button at the top.

Try a search for "tripod carry-on" or "tripod jetstar"

Bro, Your such a great help...

not to mention asking jetstar too :)
Sometimes if you ask in Jetstar staff/counter they have different answer about this.

Here you go, 5 pages all about tripod as luggage:bsmilie:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611665

Thank you spree86.. ill browse it and look for the answer i need...

I think he might mean it as a restricted item or something. Things like nail clippers and aerosol cans cannot bring nowadays also, TS might be worried about this:think:
Im worried that I may not able to bring my tripod in and out after my trip, it would be a great waste i my part. Thanks

My tripod is quite bulky and sometimes they do not let u in with that item. Ask u to check it in. Varies from country to country and airlines
Yah, same as mine.. bulky.. well im going to phuket on a backpack...maybe i need to buy cheap plastic tripod then. Thanks

I hand carried in Weifeng 592 tripod for airasia. Best is ask at counter before check-in. I don't think it is that bulky...not as if you are bringing a bazooka lens with a case.

Yes personally i was able to carry on my tripod on various trips.
Mine is a benro A-550.

But there was this retarted incident in vietnam airport when i was returning home, i checked in and everything.. and i was going through the customs.. passport chopped. In vietnam right after that is the xray scanner and stuff..

Then the officer stopped me and said.. my tripod is too big to carry on.. so i had to check it in.. annoyed as i am.. i had to go out.. then i decided to try something.. i walked all the way to the other side where there are other xray scanners and stuff.. LO and Behold.!! the officers there didnt even pay attention to me.. so i got through.. :bsmilie:

Mine is a benro A-550.

But there was this retarted incident in vietnam airport when i was returning home, i checked in and everything.. and i was going through the customs.. passport chopped. In vietnam right after that is the xray scanner and stuff..

Then the officer stopped me and said.. my tripod is too big to carry on.. so i had to check it in.. annoyed as i am.. i had to go out.. then i decided to try something.. i walked all the way to the other side where there are other xray scanners and stuff.. LO and Behold.!! the officers there didnt even pay attention to me.. so i got through.. :bsmilie:
I think in Changi Airport, it's the same scenario, am I right?
You check-in your luggage, then proceed through customs & immigration, and only when you're about to enter the boarding lounge do you (and your handcarry) have to pass through the x-ray and scanner setup.
If, at that point in time, they find excess amt of liquid, or a pocket knife, etc, then there'll be huge headache for you to check it in.

Anyway, have brought my bulky tripod (>60cm when folded) and camera gear on a number of occasions before, and so far (touch wood) no issue. Maybe I'm pushing my luck though... :sweat:

best to check in, don't risk getting it confiscated.
That's the point TS does not want because check in luggage is excluded in the ticket type he wants to use. Only hand carried luggage.

Not sure.. seems rather that 'seasonal changes' are more likely to make problems rather then general rules. Last year I had a trip to KL and when I arrived in KL I discovered my Swiss army knife in the luggage I had in the cabin. On the way back I just wanted to know whether it was coincidence or not. I still have the knife :)
So far only AirAsia in JB insisted on checking in my luggage, also on the way back from KK to JB. Vietnam Airline did the same only on the way back from Hanoi. But it was rather some funky security guard from the airport who obviously got bored and started making up his own rules. When checking in at Changi it all went through.
Remove the head, cover the top mount plate so that there is nothing sharp or edgy to be seen. Best to have it in a tripod bag.

Mine is a benro A-550.

warouz.. security officer boh zho kang!!!

Hi,

Anyone of you tried to bring hand-carry tripod on a flight (Jetstar Backpackers)???

I'm going to Phuket for 3 days trip and I'm planning to bring a tripod (Fancier) with me but im scared that they wont allow it hand-carried.

I'm only allowed to have a 7kg Backpack and NO Check-IN. If they ask me to check-it in, I need to pay... This is what im avoiding...

Usually not a problem, but as you rightfully point out, they do have avenues to make you check it in. So you can try, but my advice is to be prepared to check it in, or be able to stuff it into your backpack when asked to.

You can solve this issue by making sure that your backpack can hold your tripod. Believe me, it's not that hard...

Bro, Your such a great help...

Sometimes if you ask in Jetstar staff/counter they have different answer about this.

could be - best to get a response on email if you can.. then you can print the email out and have it as documentary support ...

from my experience though, as long as the weight is not too much, the airlines are ok and don't cause a problem - now, security at the boarding gate- that's another story altogether, as mentioned by other folks here... :)

Thanks for all your replies...:thumbsup:

Ive come up to a solution: buy a lightweight tripod that is sturdy and can put inside my backpack...;)

But this kind of tripod will be costly... huhu:cry:

Hi,

Tried Tiger, Jetstar and Airasia. No issue for carrying a tripod in handcarry for me.

I put it in my bag and send it right through the scanner and was not stopped.

Last edited: