Tripods

charliechaps

Sep 9, 2010
some qns about tripods:
1. light + Sturdy tripod = aluminium?
heavy + sturdy = carbon fibre?

2.if my ballhead is unable to support the weight of my camera, can i just get a stronger ball head and attach it to my cheap aluminium tripod?

some qns about tripods:
1. light + Sturdy tripod = aluminium?
heavy + sturdy = carbon fibre?

2.if my ballhead is unable to support the weight of my camera, can i just get a stronger ball head and attach it to my cheap aluminium tripod?

1) Nope, carbon fibre tripods are way lighter than aluminium ones

2) Nope, if your cheap tripod legs cannot support the weight, no point getting a better head. The setup will still fail.

1) Nope, carbon fibre tripods are way lighter than aluminium ones

2) Nope, if your cheap tripod legs cannot support the weight, no point getting a better head. The setup will still fail.

1)is carbon fibre ALWAYS lighter?

2)current problem is that my ballhead tilts coz the camera is too heavy, if the ballhead is stronger won't it solve the problem?

1)is carbon fibre ALWAYS lighter?

2)current problem is that my ballhead tilts coz the camera is too heavy, if the ballhead is stronger won't it solve the problem?

1) If both tripods are of the same size and height, not considering the head, yes, the carbon fibre is always lighter.

2) You must see what weight your tripod legs are rated for, if the legs can support the weight and the ball head can't, then changing the ball head will solve the problem. However, if the legs can't support, then i suggest you get a new tripod.

Hi, any recommended brand?

Thank you.

Depends on your budget, how much pocket burn are you looking at?

A reasonable light tripod will do. Don't need extreme good.

A reasonable light tripod will do. Don't need extreme good.

For range of around $200 (give or take) you can consider Sirui, Benro, Manfrotto or Slik.
Carbon fibre tripods by the same brands will cost more.

If you have money to burn then look at Gitzo.

Personally I like Giottos tripods but they are almost impossible to find in sg.

For range of around $200 (give or take) you can consider Sirui, Benro, Manfrotto or Slik.
Carbon fibre tripods by the same brands will cost more.

If you have money to burn then look at Gitzo.

Personally I like Giottos tripods but they are almost impossible to find in sg.

You can check the price list that I gave u, they have the brand u mentioned.

You can check the price list that I gave u, they have the brand u mentioned.

Yea, but I settled for Slik already cos at that time no one going to HK, maybe my next tripod? Haha BBB virus strikes again:bsmilie:

a friend of mine got a CF tripod n ball head for 150. that even possible?

Any opinion on below tripod ?

Velbon Ultra VOXi L :

voxi.jpg

Very Very portable, good for traveling but don't know can it support a D700 with a 70-200 lens ?

Thanks.

Any opinion on below tripod ?

Velbon Ultra VOXi L :

voxi.jpg

Very Very portable, good for traveling but don't know can it support a D700 with a 70-200 lens ?

Thanks.

Max weight rating is 3.5 kg.

Remember a good ball head will be around 500g already.

left with 3 kg.. how heavy is that 70-200/2.8?

I think you better look at another model.

Max weight rating is 3.5 kg.

Remember a good ball head will be around 500g already.

left with 3 kg.. how heavy is that 70-200/2.8?

I think you better look at another model.

But it's really very convenient. Short & can be put inside the camera bag easily. It's made of aluminum but weight only 1.1KG.

If Lens + Ball Head + Body is less than 3.5KG, think should be ok.
:rolleyes:

I don't think there is any tripod more compact than this one. Good for traveling.

I saw it when I got my Billingham Hadley Pro bag at K13. Really tempted.

Anyone using ?

But it's really very convenient. Short & can be put inside the camera bag easily. It's made of aluminum but weight only 1.1KG.

If Lens + Ball Head + Body is less than 3.5KG, think should be ok.
:rolleyes:

I don't think there is any tripod more compact than this one. Good for traveling.

I saw it when I got my Billingham Hadley Pro bag at K13. Really tempted.

Anyone using ?

Sirui has one similar too that T1005X is weight is only 1Kg and rated for 10KG. I have one not bad for the price and size but the ball head G10 CMI better to get G20.

If it is not a very good one, sure it is possible. Especially if it is 2nd hand ;)

"Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 with RC498 Ballhead" this considered cheapo?

Last edited: