Tripods on a plane

jemjemjem

Mar 14, 2011
Hey guys iam going to Thailand next month, and iam taking jetstar. So iam trying to save some money by taking my video tripod in a tripod bag up the plane as handcarry baggage.

Do they allow that?

My answer is no, just check in the tripod to avoid any trouble upon boarding. I have seen passengers carrying tripods onto Jetstar flights, and I also encountered passengers being asked to check-in their tripods on other flights like Tiger Air... Best is to check-in your tripod as you are always at the losing end when it comes to arguing with the ground crew.

They don't allow. You may have to ditch yr tripod or pay for excess baggage which is about USD 30 per KG.

If you need, print a gorilla pod or a clamp.

I have flown Jetstar (but not to BKK). Best to take the above advice as it is cheaper to buy the check-in baggage than to be charged excess. For Jetstar (and most other no-frill airlines), everything is payable.

hey guys thanks alot for the advice. Hmm usually will they stop you at the immigration counter or will they only stop you when your about to board. Because for excess baggage its $23 for 15kg. But all I really need is like 1kg.

Was hopping if they are gonna stop me at the counter, aleast I can just pass my tripod off to my family.

hey guys thanks alot for the advice. Hmm usually will they stop you at the immigration counter or will they only stop you when your about to board. Because for excess baggage its $23 for 15kg. But all I really need is like 1kg.

Was hopping if they are gonna stop me at the counter, aleast I can just pass my tripod off to my family.

Clearing the counter doesn't mean you can bring it up the plane. When you are boarding, they can still insist that you cannot bring the tripod.

Jetstar will stop you before going into the departure hall, or during boarding. They can be strict if they want to.

spree86 said:
Clearing the counter doesn't mean you can bring it up the plane. When you are boarding, they can still insist that you cannot bring the tripod.

Yup this is usually the case. The counter staff doesn't bother if you carry a tripod past the immigration counter. You only get called to check-in your tripod when you reach the boarding hall... Usually 30 mins before boarding.

At the boarding hall you need to go through security scan before you enter the waiting hall... Usually you see bottles of water left at the security counter but once a while I do see tripod bags as well. :)

I always check-in my tripod when I go travel... I won't bring a tripod with me if I were to travel with only hand-luggage. If this is your case you might as well buy a cheap tripod at local camera stalls when you touch down.

Took Jetstar to BKK last year. Saw 2 passengers who were not alliwed to hand carry their tripods into the plane.

Airlines might say YES. Airport Security might say NO.

so you need to check

edit:

you know, you have a phone and you're paying a monthly subscription fee to use it to CALL people or anyone that's reachable by phone.

CALL them. it's faster than asking everyone to guess for every airport every airline.

Last edited:
it depends on the airport.

i hv taken jetstar to phuket, with tripod, BUT not video tripod.
no problem with hand carry.
i keep it in my backpack, so that it doesn't swing ard...

not sure abt BKK

Took jetstar to Siemreap. At counter they required me to checkin my tripod (Vanguard Alta Pro series which is quite long in length)
Best to pay for excess in advance to be safe and hassle free.

Hey guys iam going to Thailand next month, and iam taking jetstar. So iam trying to save some money by taking my video tripod in a tripod bag up the plane as handcarry baggage.

Do they allow that?

curious: how large is your video tripod?

So far have taken quite a number of flights (both full-fare and budget) and carried my 3-section tripod on-board without issue. The one and only time I was required to check-in the tripod was the return flight from Taipei. It seems the airport itself is the biggest determining factor. I would hazard a guess that most flights out of Changi would not have issue with tripod on-board (to a reasonable length/size of course ;) )

Ultimately, still a good idea to check at the counter. Make sure you get the go-ahead from both airline as well as airport staff.

I've been to Bangkok this yr on May. I could be the lucky one who managed to carry-in tripod into the plane w/o checkin in. I was carrying a small camera bag (Lowepro Adventura 170).