Tripods in certain buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

markccm

Deregistered
Jan 25, 2003
Asylum, Ward 4444
Visit site
Please pardon my ignorance, why are tripods not allowed in most buildings for a photoshoot?

Understand we will have to write in to gain permission to use tripods. Was not allowed to use tripod at the new building near Bugis & Fullerton hotel.

Can anybody please explain why this is so?

Thanks

Originally posted by markccm
...Was not allowed to use tripod at the new building near Bugis & Fullerton hotel.
erm, which building is that? Bugis and Fullerton very far apart leh...

hey i work around Bugis, so i guess you must be referring to 1 Parkview Square, the gothic looking brown chocolate mousse of a building. Incidentally, that building houses the Austrian Embassy, but noone has moved in yet.

Tripods are not allowed in many areas nows-adays.:D for security reasons. Whatever that reason is..is it because it looks too much like a concealed weapon when placed in the tripod bag?

i was stopped in an australian shopping center for taking pictures. no tripod. i think there's a general rule of no photography in a lot of places. reasons could be photographs can be used against a company's interest.

Originally posted by Larry
erm, which building is that? Bugis and Fullerton very far apart leh...

Both areas. I brought a tripod in w/o a bag. Immediatly, I was stopped by sercurity.
Was told its a standard code of law in S'pore that tripods are not allowed in buildings, unless you write in for approval.

I mean, I do not understand how will a tripod look like a weapon or such. My tripod leg ends has rubber fitted &thus will not scratch their floor, so I do not understand the rational behind it.

Y would they not allow people to take photos of their beautiful building?

What is the real reason behind it? Real puzzled. :dunno:

Tripod is not allow because when fully extended they took up too much space, and cause traffic congestion. This will result in people tripping on one of the legs, and cause the heavy camera to fall on to the polished marble flooring. Both the flooring and your camera will be damaged.

This law is to protect you and the property owner :)

Originally posted by markccm

Both areas. I brought a tripod in w/o a bag. Immediatly, I was stopped by sercurity.
Was told its a standard code of law in S'pore that tripods are not allowed in buildings, unless you write in for approval.

huh? i think tat's ridiculous. anyone has any idea on the current ruling? i've been walking around wiff my tripod on a strap (exposed) and so far no one has stopped me yet. :angry:

Originally posted by kiwitan
Tripod is not allow because when fully extended they took up too much space, and cause traffic congestion. This will result in people tripping on one of the legs, and cause the heavy camera to fall on to the polished marble flooring. Both the flooring and your camera will be damaged.

This law is to protect you and the property owner :)

Ic. But I was there around ten plus at the new Gothic looking building near Bugis, almost nobody there, but its still open. So my tripod will not block anybody

Really loved to take pic of the statues & stuff there, but really chised off by the sercurity's attitude. At least the staff at Fullerton Hotel were much more polite.

I mean, the building owners or comittee should view it as a compliment dat we appreciate the beauty of the building, thus wanting to take pix of it.

Real strange.

I think due to terrorism, more people are getting over sensitive. I think they just do want to take the risk of possibility of next target for bomb planting.

Originally posted by cillin
I think due to terrorism, more people are getting over sensitive. I think they just do want to take the risk of possibility of next target for bomb planting.

So sad hor? Bcoz of terrorism, photograhers also affected....

maybe next time when we want to take picture we must place a sign stating why we are taking picture ... letting the mass of people know why we are taking picture ....

imagine taking a picture with a BIG signage stating
i'm taking picture for FUN ah ... go away can ... :devil:

I think I have to share this with all photograhers.

As a amatuer photograher myself, I also love to take photograph of beautiful buildings. But unfortunately, as I work in a commercial building, I understand why it is forbidden.

A commercial building is a private property and it is the owners' interest whether to let anybody to take photograph in the property. (It like yourself owning a large piece of land and someone entered to your land and take pictures)

Tripod of without tripod the person who has an interest to take photograph has to write in for that purpose. This is prevent any unwanted act of business interest by third parties in the building.

I hope hope I clear the issue.

Cheers. :cool:

I think even write in you would never got approve from the owner for shooting or bring tripod into his building.

We have few experience from companies who has taken commercial shot at the lobby after they wrote in and its free too. We even allow at the office space but there is a minimum sum to cover our operation cost. Cheers.

hey thanks for the info about the shoot thingy ...

note taken ...

well what ever it is it still depends on the owner ... nothing we can do ....

unless .... heh heh ... we come in groups ... someone distract the security gurads while the rest take pictures .... we'll take turn ... haha .... :devil:

Originally posted by sukun
hey thanks for the info about the shoot thingy ...

note taken ...

well what ever it is it still depends on the owner ... nothing we can do ....

unless .... heh heh ... we come in groups ... someone distract the security gurads while the rest take pictures .... we'll take turn ... haha .... :devil:

Dats a devillish idea... I like... :devil:

I actually went with 2 other amature photographers, but we all kena together by the sercurity. :confused:

Really wanted to get some shots of dat Gothic building man.

so next time we must sagregate ourselves huh ... we must distributed a decoy and those who are really taking pictures ... haha

Status
Not open for further replies.