Tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

jOhO

Apr 20, 2003
Singapore
www.expressivelyjoho.com
My "free" tripod that i got from buying my cp5700 at the IT show is starting to feel a little "wobbly" to me. But since i have it, i just use it, but i'm wondering wat a "good" tripod is? i guess it has to take the weight of the camera (which isn't heavy) but if i wanna upgrade to SLR next time how? then the other thing is that everytime i use the tripod i will use the 3s timer so that it doesn't shake when i hit the shutter button. do "good" tripods hold the cam steady even when the shutter is pressed? i dun wanna be getting a remote control, for that cam it's 100+ bux and it can only be used with that cam...

i know it's a vague question, but if i were to buy a new tripod, what should i be looking for? wat brands are reliable and wat's a good price/budget to be working with?

currently i just take night shots of cityscapes (that's when i use the tripod most) or when i go out with groupd of friends, the tripod comes in handy when i need to take a group photo, and everyone can be included (not gonna let a stranger touch my cam as much as possible! heheh) other than that i don't use the tripod much.

IMHO... the free tripod is wobbly but it should be able to support the camera well.

I guess the concern is whether it can support the camera at portrait position cos the weight is balanced to one side.

If you upgrade to SLR, definitely a much sturdier tripod will be needed because of the heavy lens.

You can consider the SLIK U8000 (I'm using one with my CP5700). It's sturdy enough on the portrait and landscape. I have not tried portrait with the battery pack though(CP has a lot of MB-E5700s). Should be fine I presume.

However if you attach external speedlight on it... then portrait with the SLIK U8000 is NOT recommended. Get something stronger like Manfrotto 190.

hmm wierd, i got an email saying this thread is deleted becos it does not follow clubsnap's rules? eh... nvm.. the thread is still here!

espn,

thanx for the tips, i might go surf on the models u mentioned. wat about price-wise? wat sort of $$$ am i looking at?

also, wat's the diff between ball head and all that er... jargon? to me a tripod is where u plonk a cam on becos ur hand isn't stready enuff! someone educate me please?? ahahha :dunno: :dunno:

I'll try :D

Currently I got my eyes set on the SLIK 300 DX + a Manfrotto ball head + QR plate. I haven't brought my setup down for testing yet. Going to cost me about $200 :(

If you want a sturdier one for ur CP5700, then a SLIK U8000 ~$55, really is enough. But if you want something for SLR, then consider going a Manfrotto ~$120. Add a ball head then you'll need additional costs. Depends on your need really.

I can only suggest that if you are really interested getting a tripod, get a good one from the start, sure the money is painful but at least you won't have to upgrade frequently.

Maybe a suggestion for now is to get one that can support your camera, if you ever upgrade to SLR, then change, how about that? Or just carry on using ur free tripod until you change for a heavier setup then change the tripod. :)

Ball head allows you to position the camera up down left right and awkward angles, it's additional cost, but at least you can make the purchases seperately.

A quick release plate will allow you to detach the camera from the tripod without the screwing of the holder to the camera's bottom. Good if you snap half way and need to hold the camera in your hands. Which I think most tripods come with it :)

*Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Slik 300 DX :

Maximum Height 61.3" (155.7 cm)
Minimum Height 18.5" (47.0 cm)
14.0" (35.6 cm) with optional short center column
Folded Length 27.8" (70.6 cm)
Load Capacity 11.00 lb (4.99 kg)
Leg Sections 3
Leg Lock Type Flip levers
Independent Leg Spread Yes
Center Column Sections 1
Center Column Type Sliding
Center Brace No
Spiked Feet No
Head Type 3-Way pan & tilt with quick release
Head Mount Thread Size 1/4"-20
Weight 5.50 lb (2.49 kg)

Folded length @ 70cm+??!

Originally posted by espn
I'll try :D

Currently I got my eyes set on the SLIK 300 DX + a Manfrotto ball head + QR plate. I haven't brought my setup down for testing yet. Going to cost me about $200 :(

right.. sounds CHEEM!

but wat's it all mean? i guess a ball head can be attached to any tripod? as in like instead of attaching the cam to the tripod, u attach the ball head, then the cam gets attached to the ball head?

and wat is a QR plate?

QR - Quick Release.

Fella: Ooops 70cm? Hmmm then I'll need to bring my tripod strap down to test the carrying accessibility as well... should have tried compacting it the other day I was there looking at the SLIK 300 DX.

Nikonian Foo: Should be able, but will slightly go over $170 I think.

jOhO: Ball head is literally a head that uses a ball, allows the head to be rotated nearly 360 degrees. Good for funny angle shots.

Nikonian Foo: Should be able, but will slightly go over $170 I think.

jOhO: Ball head is literally a head that uses a ball, allows the head to be rotated nearly 360 degrees. Good for funny angle shots. [/B]

Ooh...$170 seems OK. U mean first hand or second hand? I'm OK with both.

Am I right to say that using a ballhead is faster to level the camera to the horizon?

Thanks.

First hand I was quoted about $120 @ CP, and I saw a ballhead there @ $75. I haven't bargain the head yet, will do it when I drop by with my gear, cos need to test first.

Status
Not open for further replies.