Tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddyks

Jan 15, 2007
Stad van Manneken Pis
www.flickr.com
Hi,

Tried taking photographs of fireworks today but found that the tripod I borrowed from friend is shaky and not good. So decided to buy my own - a sturdy one.

From what I can see, Benro and PPCP seem to be the cheaper ones (translate to ones I can afford). I am 179 cm tall and so want to know which tripod would be good for me? How should you choose the tripod height based on yours?

My set-up: D70 + kit lens + 70-300 - current
possible addition a VR lens max.

Future plans: D3xs or something ;p

Thanks and cheers

if you want a light tripod, like what kelccm said, slik 330/340dx is good, but both are definitely not high enough for your height without fully extending the center column...
but higher tripod like manfrotto 055 ain't light... :cry:

I think you should choose one that caters to the phoography. For fireworks, you definitely need a good and sturdy tripod. Cannot compromise with weight. Probably carbon fibre may help but the cost is higher.

Also I've tried a tripod which height is lower, you'd have to bend down or lower your body and it's very tiring. Now i got one that is up to my height(with center column down). So with the photographer comfortable, he can take better pics.

my 2cnets

this topic has been discussed to death...

i vote slik sprint pro gm for lightweight and cheapness. :)

Manfrotto 055DB is cheap and it meets your height. Can see my mo.

Bro,
The only suggestion I have is that you go to Cathay Photo Marina Square and check the wide range of tripods that they have. Talk to Sam and he will gladly show you as many tripods that you wish you check. Also, carry your gear with you, so that you can actually put your camera (and heaviest lens) and see how it measures up.

Slik and Manfrotto seem to be the tripods of choice amongst beginners and amateurs. I got a Slik Pro 400 which easily handles my Canon 30D and the 100-400mm lens. I didn't quite like the pan and tilt head, so changed to a Manfrotto 488 RC2 ballhead.

To shoot fireworks, you also got to invest in a cable release. This way you can time your exposure - from the time the fireworks are released until they burst.

Cheers...

How is it that I've not seen anyone recommending the PPCP tripods. I know they're backorder for now, but still...

save up and buy a tripod that can last you a long long time to come & cater to further expansions in the future. (NOT referring to any brands or models in particular).

If you want height, stability, but dun want the weight, the CF tripods will cost.

if you're planning on getting into heavy cameras, might as well spend some money getting a solid tripod and head...unless you use it for martial arts or extreme sports, a good tripod should last a long time so might as well get a good one now rather than thinking of upgrading in the future...so if light weight is key, might want to look at a carbon fibre one...

also, a good tripod head is needed especially for bigger setups and for better stability in difficult conditions...need to take that into account when looking at weight of the tripod...

when looking at height of the tripod, remember to add about 10cm to account for the tripod head...

I have gone for a Benro head and carbon tripod and am very satisfied so far...

Thanks for all the suggestions. Im still looking around for choices so feel free to keep adding your comments.

Why dun you tell us what your budget range is and we can better advice you. There are other brands and models available. Else, save up and buy a better one at a later time.
You can also go down to CP and have a look to see which model catches your eye.

P.S. eugenep has several Manfrotto models @ :thumbsup: prices.

I have Slik Pro 400DX, no problem even you have D3Xs and 80-400VR combo in future. Very sturdy and affordable tripod but it weights around 2.3Kgs.

Hmm, ok my first issue is I'm 179 cm. So how high should the tripod be without centre column extended? lets say we include 100 mm for ball head + camera.

And my budget is around 100-150 max coz student la, cannot afford very expensive stuff :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.