Tripod

sachokphantom

Mar 26, 2010
singapore
Hi bros/sis, I just wanna know how do you guys maintain your tripod? I took at photos when my tripod at the beach and of course the tripod had been hit my the sea water. After which I wash it with plain clear water but it seem like lock become more tight and there a sound on the leg when.

I am using MTL 9341B Giottos tripod.

Are you able to dismantle the legs of your tripod?

You shouldn't have dipped your tripod into seawater if the legs are not user-serviceable.

yep. never soak in salt water. Try oil it a bit?

The only way to make it work again is to dismantle your tripod and wash the inside. The locks are tight because the tiny sand was stuck in the mechanism. You will have to use a needle to pull them out. There will still be some left that is hard to get it out, just use high pressure water (Shower heads should have those) and clean them off several times. Put the tripod back together, stroke the legs a few times to loosen any other sand inside.

Hi bros/sis, I just wanna know how do you guys maintain your tripod? I took at photos when my tripod at the beach and of course the tripod had been hit my the sea water. After which I wash it with plain clear water but it seem like lock become more tight and there a sound on the leg when.

You should always wash down your tripod after playing with saltwater. The saltwater is much more corrosive than freshwater, and should be washed off as soon as possible.

Every now and then you should strip your entire tripod, and then wash down the inner parts. After drying, can spray WD40 and put it together again.

I had a Giottos tripod, I never figured out to strip it though. In any case, when you start shooting in seawater you can expect to have the tripod going kaput much faster than usual... At least I went through tripods much faster after I started immersing my tripods that way. That's just the cost of getting the shots you want.

If you really intend to shoot seascapes that way long term, you can consider getting a wooden tripod. You will not be free of such problems because of the different structure of such tripods, but it is much easier to maintain than the usual telescopic legs that come in metal. That said, these are much more cumbersome and less compact in general.

Cheers.

The only way to make it work again is to dismantle your tripod and wash the inside. The locks are tight because the tiny sand was stuck in the mechanism. You will have to use a needle to pull them out. There will still be some left that is hard to get it out, just use high pressure water (Shower heads should have those) and clean them off several times. Put the tripod back together, stroke the legs a few times to loosen any other sand inside.

Don't need needle, just get an old toothbrush and brush the parts hard, it will be fine.

Also, if TS has no confidence in putting it back together again, then get someone who's better at such things to help him. It would be a sad day if you dismantle already, wash happily, then cannot even put it back together again.. I'd rather have a squeaky sand-filled tripod than none at all. :bsmilie:

After deploying my tripod in water, I dismantle the tripod, rinse with warm water, clean all screw thread, oil moving parts lightly.

When u need to stick your tripod in sandy area, always make sure that the joint area is away from the sand.

just get three PVC pipes each with on end cap, put the tripod legs into the PVC pipe and tape pipe to the tripod legs, it will keep your tripod free from sand and sea water.

cheap and simple solution.

btw, if you are hardcore beach shooter, make a PVC tripod.

Thank you all for the reply. I am not sure if my model can dismantle the leg and in the webpage did not shown any step. How do you guys shoot landscape and lets put the location at punggol end? How about carbon fiber model? I do found the web http://www.naturescapes.net/082004/gd0804.htm and not sure if i could dismantle it in a same way.

Last edited:
I have a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod and I never hesitate to dip it in sea water. Good thing about most carbon fiber tripod is that the only metal you can find is on the head/ base and not in it's legs. Most Gitzo tripods are user-serviceable too.

CF can rust.

try to get a tripod with as few leg sections as possible, coat WD40 on the legs if metal.

I have a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod and I never hesitate to dip it in sea water. Good thing about most carbon fiber tripod is that the only metal you can find is on the head/ base and not in it's legs. Most Gitzo tripods are user-serviceable too.

Actually of all the tripods that have literally fallen apart, it is never the tubular section that gives trouble, i.e. the part which is replaced by carbon fibre.. It is the joints that give way... So unless the whole thing is carbon fibre, it will still give problems and there will be no significant difference from using a metal tripod, I wager.

Thank you all for the reply. I am not sure if my model can dismantle the leg and in the webpage did not shown any step. How do you guys shoot landscape and lets put the location at punggol end? How about carbon fiber model? I do found the web NatureScapes.Net - Article: Gitzo Tripod Maintenance Guide and not sure if i could dismantle it in a same way.

I don't know where you got your Giottos but when I had mine in the UK, it came complete with a manual on how to strip it down.. But it was the 3XXX series.

sachokphantom said:

Next time use those FOC umbrella plastic tubes that are found in shopping malls. And use rubber bands tie them up after slotting the tripod legs into them.

Next time use those FOC umbrella plastic tubes that are found in shopping malls. And use rubber bands tie them up after slotting the tripod legs into them.

I know a lot of people suggest that, but I don't think that's workable if you stabilize your tripod properly on the beach.

Why? You dig your tripod legs into the sand, hard. Chances of getting something slicing those tubes open? Almost certain. So you end up with a plastic tube full of seawater. It'd probably keep out some of the sand but it isn't fail-safe.

edutilos- said:
I know a lot of people suggest that, but I don't think that's workable if you stabilize your tripod properly on the beach.

Why? You dig your tripod legs into the sand, hard. Chances of getting something slicing those tubes open? Almost certain. So you end up with a plastic tube full of seawater. It'd probably keep out some of the sand but it isn't fail-safe.

Then use double or triple layer ...

edutilos- said:

Then what do u suggest? Any better idea?

Plastic tubes are the most practical, FOC, weightless, least cumbersome to carry around.

The plastic is not thin, they r quite thick. I happened to take one today.

Why not just try once and give feedback?