Tripod - would you pay for $$$ for good one /

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeman

Feb 10, 2007
HI,

I am in a decision making process right now if I should spend $$$ to get a good light CF tripod that is good for travelling like Gitzo or to cut back on my budget and go with an above average range and spend money on other accessories.

I want to make an investment that I dont regret or my wife wont regret helping me to carry..hehehe

Anyone can recommend me a good brand and model number ?

It's best to plan far and get the best one you can afford. That said, there are cheaper brands like Benro you can check out that's almost as good as gitzo, but cheaper.
BTW, its better to list out your equipment and possible expansions so that the rest can know what specs you require.

It's best to plan far and get the best one you can afford. That said, there are cheaper brands like Benro you can check out that's almost as good as gitzo, but cheaper.
BTW, its better to list out your equipment and possible expansions so that the rest can know what specs you require.

Woah, even Manfrottos and Sliks don't get the reputation of being almost as good as a Gitzo..

If you want light, doesn't have to be expensive. The expensive part is quality and stability and weight capacity, i.e. you pay for a combination of all 3 in some way or another.

Slik Sprint Pro is cheap cheap cheap, but it is not the most stable of all tripods and can't really hold much weight, meaning you gotta stay off telephoto lenses that look like bazookas. But if you're using kit lens only, and light telephoto lenses.. Then you can consider that! +)

For me I would rather pay one time for a really good one.
Got a light gitzo cf(g1058). It's so compact, light and yet reasonably strong.

Benro is good value for money tripod but weight wise even their lightest CF isn't nearly as light as Gitzo's offering. I think Gitzo is already one of the best around. Expensive though :(

My Spec is D200, 18-200VR.

I brought along a $30 tripod to Greece. Went up to the highest place in the city to capture the most beautiful picture at night but because the wind was SO STRONG and the tripod was not stable, I cant even extend my tripod at all. In the end, just open my tripod without extending the legs, hook up the camera and took the picture.

Came back, sian of it as the photos outcome. Wasted not only my time but also my life to spend such tie under the howling wind in winter time.

Since then, I pay attention to tripod and started to save for this one in a life time investment.

Hope to get more advice from forumer before I commit my funds to it.

is the weight included the head ? heard that CF are lighter

It's inclusive. CF is definitely lighter, and costs a lot more too.

Ai yo... bringing a tripod to travel is a bit 'mah fan'... after i spent some money buying a CF one, very light, but didn't really use it at all for travelling or holidays.

It is good to get the best tripod you can afford the 1st time. Not necessary have to be a Gitzo. Any good brands that you like and suits your needs. Don't forget to factor in the cost of a good head.

HI,

I am in a decision making process right now if I should spend $$$ to get a good light CF tripod that is good for travelling like Gitzo or to cut back on my budget and go with an above average range and spend money on other accessories.

I want to make an investment that I dont regret or my wife wont regret helping me to carry..hehehe

yes ! definitely ! do u know why ? because a tripod will follow you for a long time unlike the camera body and lenses which can be outdated. I am using Benro.. so far very good.. light and cheap.

;)

If you can afford it.. go for the gitzo... the quality and weight cannot be matched by anything else...

i couldn't afford it and went for a 055MF4 instead.. was on sale at cathay...

don't buy too ex. will be very heartpain if stolen.

I can't agree with the logic of not getting an expensive tripod just because it might be stolen. If that is the case, we should not be getting any expensive camera and lenses that cost even more because they too might be stolen.

benro CF should be good enough really.. been very happy with mine. of course if you have extra $$$ get the gitzo.. but i personally would save that money and use it for other things like my lens fund.

HI,

I am using a Velbon 640 and love it for the weight and size. Never regretted, although I find that I use my mini tripod more since its so much more convenient to carry around in my pocket. More importantly, the legs must be matched with a proper head which sometimes costs more - lots of pp use Manfrotto 486 which is pretty good, but if you want to avoid upgrad-icitis get something better. Chris from Cathay Peninsula would be a good bet for tripod advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.