Tripod with horizontal arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
Thanks to someone at Eastgear who pointed to me a tripod with horizontal arm, now i am looking at Manfrotto 055 or 190.

My question is, is there a tripod about 170mm height with the horizontal arm?

think around now, after the heads up, only Manfrotto have this option, wonder if gitzo have this as well, & also mayb slik... thinking of replacing my Sony 680RM, kinda over that tripod already... now for the next phase...

oh ya, i need the tripod to be light as well, heard the 055 was quite heavy... but i think heavy, because need it to stablise it while being horizontal mounted.

anybody have a setup to sell also welcome to post here.

Try the Gitzo Explorer series. Very very stable, and much more versatile than the Manfrotto Pro series. It's also heavier though. Even the carbon fibre versions is >2kg.

justarius said:
Try the Gitzo Explorer series. Very very stable, and much more versatile than the Manfrotto Pro series. It's also heavier though. Even the carbon fibre versions is >2kg.
Wah... Gitzo prices is so high... i think Manfrotto should be a good start first... like the 055 one first...

I feel that setup for the Manfrotto to get the horizontal arm is rather finicky: remove central column, insert central column into Pro insert. With Gitzo, it's just a twist of the knob, tilt and tighten. I wouldn't argue with you that the Manfrotto is more economical and probably quite a capable tripod in its own right though.

If you really need the versatility, see if you can pick up a second hand Gitzo (which was what I did, and it isn't surprising that the vast majority of my current equipment are all second hand. :bsmilie: ).

justarius said:
I feel that setup for the Manfrotto to get the horizontal arm is rather finicky: remove central column, insert central column into Pro insert. With Gitzo, it's just a twist of the knob, tilt and tighten. I wouldn't argue with you that the Manfrotto is more economical and probably quite a capable tripod in its own right though.

If you really need the versatility, see if you can pick up a second hand Gitzo (which was what I did, and it isn't surprising that the vast majority of my current equipment are all second hand. :bsmilie: ).
How much did u get yours second hand? If its the same price as my manfrotto i'll bang head on wall for sure... :)

I got most of my stuff when I was still back in the UK, so prices aren't really directly comparable, but the Gitzo was about 20pounds more expensive than a new Manfrotto 190ProB, which is about S$60.

No need bang head... cos I suspect after converting the price of my 2nd hand tripod over to Sing dollars, I have enough to buy a new carbon fibre Explorer :D

justarius said:
No need bang head... cos I suspect after converting the price of my 2nd hand tripod over to Sing dollars, I have enough to buy a new carbon fibre Explorer :D
Wow... GIAN!!!! Mouth watering.... o well... my manfrotto will serve me well... haha... thanks...

I think we OT a bit... haha.. better get back on track to help our snapper who need help with tripod...

Cheers!

actually yesterday night i went to MS color, den bought the 055pro with a 3D head... hehhe... the lock is damn stiff... overall not bad, just when i place my camera on horizontal, the tripod would fall, any idea where to get the centre bag on the manfrotto site? also anybody got it? how much is it?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
actually yesterday night i went to MS color, den bought the 055pro with a 3D head... hehhe... the lock is damn stiff... overall not bad, just when i place my camera on horizontal, the tripod would fall, any idea where to get the centre bag on the manfrotto site? also anybody got it? how much is it?

just hang your camera bag below the center column lor

i always do that when i use my tripod, cos carbon fibre is really too light ;p

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
why not just put your horizontal arm parallel to one of the legs... i dunno how to explain... can somebody actually interprete wat i saying?

Cheers!

.|
/.\

.|_
/.\

You're saying put the column so that the top down view looks like the figure on the top. With the column this way, the tripod should be less likely to tip over since there is a leg directly underneath.

Del_CtrlnoAlt must have been putting it like the figure on the bottom

i know liao... u mean like the horizontal arm not to be between the 2 legs... but along the axis of 1 of the legs... but den, if i doing a horizontal shot, wouldn't the leg be blocking the view of the horizontal arm?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
just when i place my camera on horizontal, the tripod would fall

Simple solution, just shorten the leg opposite the camera. The horizontal column will now be pointing slightly up, then use your tripod head to adjust your camera accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.