Tripod w/o central column

Status
Not open for further replies.

binbeto

Jan 18, 2002
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
Is there a way to remove a tripid central column and just mount the head w/o it?

What gargdet do i need?

Originally posted by binbeto
Is there a way to remove a tripid central column and just mount the head w/o it?

What gargdet do i need?

u need the Manfrotto PRO series tripod.... :p

actually, i dont really know. but u can do that with the Pro Series.

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Which make and model are you using?

Gitzo series 2 reporter..

I can't find the short column for it. My is not the MK2 model. Can i use the MK2 short column?

i got a suggestion....(u might have or might not thought of it but anyway here goes...)

im assuming you wanna go lower without the centre column getting in the way rite?

this may not be favourable but you could saw off the additional section of the column and put a small stopper at the end....

pitfall being that the column becomes sorta useless....

Have a question regarding my tripod too. Hope you don't mind binbeto.

I just got myself a manfrotto 055 of which the central column can be taken out. The ball head could be mounted on the tripod via a provided adaptor.

I wish to know if its advisable to use the tripod all the time(including transportation etc) without the central column.

Thanks!

Originally posted by wormz777

I just got myself a manfrotto 055 of which the central column can be taken out. The ball head could be mounted on the tripod via a provided adaptor.

I wish to know if its advisable to use the tripod all the time(including transportation etc) without the central column.

Thanks!

No problem.

The advantage of w/o the centre column is so that
1. I can go very low
2. lesser weight
3. more stable as compare to mount on column.

Hope ut helps..

But the height adjustment will be limited. Some tripod will be too low for the user if he didn't use the center column.

For the 190/055Pro you can remove the adaptor from the bottom of the centre column, remove the column, then attach the adaptor to your head and secure it back onto the tripod.

Thanks!

What you have left would be a slightly lighter load. However, you will not have the option of raising the height when needed. Personally I keep my centre column attached and raise it only when needed.

3. more stable as compare to mount on column.

Why is this so?

I tried to carry my tripod without the central column. Feels good, but looks a bit wierd cos all the three legs touch each other at the end.

Originally posted by Zerstorer

What you have left would be a slightly lighter load. However, you will not have the option of raising the height when needed. Personally I keep my centre column attached and raise it only when needed.

The reason why I bought the 055 instead of the 190 is because of its height wo extending the central column. The height is just nice for me as I am abt 1.77m tall.

The reason why I bought the 055 instead of the 190 is because of its height wo extending the central column. The height is just nice for me as I am abt 1.77m tall.

If you find the height sufficient, then you can just use it in this configuration. In fact, it seems a popular way to use it in the states.(Bogen 3021)

Why is this so?

I tried to carry my tripod without the central column. Feels good, but looks a bit wierd cos all the three legs touch each other at the end.

Just slightly better .

Look at it this way..

If u use the center column high up. It is like using a monopod cramped on a tripod. When it is at it lowest podition, the effect is not so much.

Something like this. It is one more joint though the difference is not that obvious.

Not sure if u get me...

Yup, got what u meant binbeto. Another joint means more instability.

So I have decided to remove my central column for good.;)

Yup, got what u meant binbeto. Another joint means more instability.

So I have decided to remove my central column for good.;)

Really depends on your shooting style.

If you use long tele lens and slow shutter speed like 4 sec or more. You will do better w/o the center column.

Other than that the column won't introdue much problem.

W/o the center column, it will be more troublesome if u need a small adjustment in height.

Really depends on your shooting style.

If you use long tele lens and slow shutter speed like 4 sec or more. You will do better w/o the center column.

Other than that the column won't introdue much problem.

W/o the center column, it will be more troublesome if u need a small adjustment in height.

Oh ... I dun see myself adjusting the centre column higher cos that will be over my eye level, so the only adjustment is downwards and that can only be done using the legs anyway.

Thanks for pointing that out! :)

Kinda regret getting the 190 after hearing ur logic.
btw, how much did u pau 4 ur 055? :D

Originally posted by markccm
Kinda regret getting the 190 after hearing ur logic.
btw, how much did u pau 4 ur 055? :D

Got my 055CLB for $160 with gst :D

so for the 055 got include head or not?? typically what head is recommended?? can share??

The 488rco works fine for me. Its a ball head with a seperate pan. More than sufficient for most SLR setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.