Tripod vs monopod

Status
Not open for further replies.

niki

Dec 3, 2005
SengKang
hi all,

when to use the monopod, when to use tripod? so far, i'm using the tripod only.. monopod, easier to carry ard rite? pls enlighten! hehe..thanks!

sORe-EyEz

Jun 28, 2005
SGee
i oni own tripodz, IMO i will oni get a monopod if my lense + cam combo is v heavy.

a tripod w/ 1 leg extended = monopod, no? weighs more thou...

niki

Dec 3, 2005
SengKang
mainly nature. so, better to stick wif tripods? :dunno:

niki

Dec 3, 2005
SengKang
a tripod w/ 1 leg extended = monopod, no? weighs more thou...
truetrue.. actually... 3 legs extended, without splitting the legs, also considered monopod rite? hehe.. ;)

zcf

Apr 10, 2005
270 degree of Singapore
I have tripod and a self-standing monopod, nowaday I only use the self-standing monopod because of it portability, but it sure won't be as stable as a tripod, that's why the AS of KM5D come to help.
For Night/Firework or long exposure time shooting, better stick to tripod. Use monopod as support if you are shooting with heavy lens.

zcf

Apr 10, 2005
270 degree of Singapore
niki said:
truetrue.. actually... 3 legs extended, without splitting the legs, also considered monopod rite? hehe.. ;)
some people actually stick all three legs out and group it together for portability and use as a monopod, it's more stable than the single leg solution.

niki

Dec 3, 2005
SengKang
icic.. point noted. thanks.. now.. dun have heavy lens yet..so i guess, i'm alrite for the time being.. ;)

pai

Nov 24, 2004
Lala Land
www.flickr.com
niki said:
heh, never thought of this ;)

i only have a tripod, no monopod. sometimes when i want to be more mobile, i only extend one leg on the tripod - much easier to control the height by leaning the 'pod at different angles. and if i really want to shorten or lengthen it, adjust one leg can already.

not as light and convenient as a monopod, but can save a bit of cash. more importantly, the other legs will be there when i need them.

Denosha

Dec 25, 2003
Bukit Timah
www.sgl.per.sg
Instead of looking at the type of photography, look at the type of shutterspeeds u'll need. From my own experience, a monopod, when used correctly, is good for an extra 2-3 stops slower shutterspeeds (especially with heavier equipment). So if you need shutterspeeds even lower than what you can get with a monopod then use a tripod.

Jul 31, 2005
Bt Batok
i only use my tripod at night when im doing exposures under 1/10th. normally monopod+vr is gd enough. a stable enough tripod(for d70s+70-200vr) is just too bulky to lug around while i can simply clip my monopod to my belt.

no pt using those freebie tripods for heavier gear, they're abt as stable as a monopod and r shorter

Chris Lim

Oct 24, 2005
Hi, honestly the tripod is a better option if you require longer exposure time. Not necessary true that it helps with faster panning. It very much depends on how you manuvere your pod too. In fact. there are some specific ways of using the monopod. If used correctly, can take up to 3-5 seconds exposure with extremely mild if not no shake. So maybe you might wanna try and see how it works for you too.

drake336

Jan 21, 2006
Always choose tripods unless

a) weight and agility is issue (e.g. hiking, climbing)

b) no space to deploy tripod

c) tripod not allowed (e.g. certain meuseums)

Hey Niki, nice Westie! :hi-five:

drake336

Jan 21, 2006
roti_prata said:
how come a tripod is not allowed? and y a monopod is allowed instead?
Not becos monopod allowed, but monopod maybe fast enough so that you can shoot and scoot... :bsmilie:

Seriously though, once you try to setup a large tripod in the middle of walkway, you can bet the curators will pounce on you, but if you walk in with camera already on monopod, you may escape their notice and they might not care since you are not obstructing anyone...

But remember... no flash photography in museums, ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom