Tripod - VR/IS On or Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Hack

Mar 16, 2006
www.doggiehaven.sg
Hey dudes, when you mount your cameras on a tripod, do you switch off the VR/IS, or do you leave it on.
Google and searched some websites, some say to leave it On, whereas some say to Off it.

Did some testing shots. Both taken at 10s f/8 ISO200.

VR Off
3115282851_29b92709f1.jpg

VR On
3115282915_09e7a8ea1e.jpg

Seems like the picture is sharper with VR Off. So what's your take on this issue?

Switch it off. I think regardless of the brand or system, they all give the same advice to turn it off while using a tripod (especially with longer exposures). Your test has proven the manufacturer's advice to be correct.

Hey dudes, when you mount your cameras on a tripod, do you switch off the VR/IS, or do you leave it on.
Google and searched some websites, some say to leave it On, whereas some say to Off it.

Did some testing shots. Both taken at 10s f/8 ISO200.

VR Off
3115282851_29b92709f1.jpg

VR On
3115282915_09e7a8ea1e.jpg

Seems like the picture is sharper with VR Off. So what's your take on this issue?

Switch it off! You actually get a better picture with the switch on with a wobbly hand!Try it!:bsmilie:

Turn it off. The last I tried on my 18-200mm VR it induced a little movement to the picture.

Ryan

Ya dudes, found out that when using tripod, i will get a sharper image if i Off the VR.
Likewise, i will get a sharper image with the VR On when i'm shooting hand held.
Guess that the VR only helps if you are shooting without a tripod.
Search the web different people have different views on it.
So would like to find out what the bros here are doing. :think:

Last edited:
Switch your VR off. VR is a system that searches for Vibrations and correct it. If it's turned on, it'll search for vibrations that ain't there. And thus you get blurry pics.

Heh. That's the web for you. There'll ALWAYS be differing opinions about anything! And it is my opinion to go with the manufacturer's recommendation first (since we have to assume they know their own products the best), then if it works OK for you, just stick with their suggestions.

Switch your VR off. VR is a system that searches for Vibrations and correct it. If it's turned on, it'll search for vibrations that ain't there. And thus you get blurry pics.

That's what i think too. The VR is designed to compensate any movement.
So if the camera is very still on a tripod, the VR will not sense any motion, so resulting in a blur image.

Heh. That's the web for you. There'll ALWAYS be differing opinions about anything! And it is my opinion to go with the manufacturer's recommendation first (since we have to assume they know their own products the best), then if it works OK for you, just stick with their suggestions.

Yup, was wondering why VR will not work when a tripod is in use. So went to google and found mixed opinions.
So did some test shots comparison. In the end found out that what the manufacturer say is true.
5 out of 5 tries, results are the same. :D

i read somewhere dat says tat if IS/VR is on with tripod mounted, the mechanism would induce shake instead of reducing.. tats why the image wld nt be as sharp

My experience with nikon's vr is to leave it off on the tripod, but leave it on if the tripod is not locked down.

I remember reading articles that Canon's IS is fine to leave switched on while on a tripod but i've never used a C dslr on tripod yet so no actual experience.

I am using a C DSLR and when shooting night shots on a tripod, i do find that by turning off the IS, i do get sharper images.

I am using a C DSLR and when shooting night shots on a tripod, i do find that by turning off the IS, i do get sharper images.

Does your manual state that it is recommended to turn off the IS while mounted on a tripod?

For older (earlier models) Canon IS lens like the 28-135mm, the IS must be switched off when using a tripod. Chances of getting a blur shot is higher. With the newer IS lenses, the IS can remain on but it is of no use since ther tripod is already a stable platform. So good practice is to switch off the VR / IS when using a tripod. Will save some battery juice also.

Here is what the Nikon Knowledge Database says about this subject:
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7676&p_created=1067977631&p_sid=gR68LAYi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NjcsNjcmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1WUg**&p_li=&p_topview=1

"The Vibration Reduction technology built into some Nikon lenses or the COOLPIX 8800 can reduce or eliminate vibration during shooting. When the camera is on a tripod there will be very little (if any) movement so the question arises if VR should be used or not.

There are two techniques when using a camera/lens mounted on a tripod; keeping the pan/tilt head loose or fluid (when panning or moving with a subject) and keeping the pan/tilt head locked down and rigid while using a cable release (time exposures or for the new HDR techniques).

With the following lenses/cameras VR should be "Off" when the camera is mounted on a tripod and the pan/tilt head is locked down and using a cable release:

105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro Nikkor
18-200mm f3.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor
24-120mm f3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
70-200mm f2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
80-400mm f4.5-5.6D ED VR AF Zoom-Nikkor
70-300mm f4.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
Coolpix 8800

With the following lenses/cameras VR should be "On" when the camera is mounted on a tripod and the pan/tilt head is loose (fluid) while using the cameras shutter release button:

105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro Nikkor
18-200mm f3.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor
24-120mm f3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
70-200mm f2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
80-400mm f4.5-5.6D ED VR AF Zoom-Nikkor
70-300mm f4.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
Coolpix 8800

Nikon VR technology in the following lenses can detect minute vibrations that emanate from tripod legs. With the following lenses VR can be "On" when the camera is mounted on a tripod for either technique:

200-400mm f4G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
200mm f2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor
300mm f2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor

For all lenses VR should be "On" when the camera/lens is used on a monopod"

From what is stated, seems like some lens should be "On", while some should be "Off" when using a tripod. Also, whether the pan/tilt head is loose or tight, using the cameras shutter release button or shutter cable also comes into play. :think:

i leave it on. because i will forget to switch it on later

to me both pics look the same only that the other pic is brighter just a little bit.

at this size, who can tell?

anyways, i leave the in body shake reduction for my pentax ON when it is a very windy day. otherwise it stays off.

it is also ON when i shoot longer focal lengths on a tripod - much more vulnerable to shake from wind. if you look at the nikon recommendations, the ones that should be on when the head is fluid (i.e. not locked) also longer focal lengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.