Tripod testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

waderbreak

Feb 2, 2009
Hi all

Need the seniors' help. Any handy tips when testing out a tripod (CF and/or Aluminium)? What are the details, workmanship, material quality to look out for before buying? Help list them here!

B. Regards.

what you want to test for and in what usage?

eg, strength could use a steel tripod to smash against a carbon fiber tripod or could run a truck over a titanium tripod.

what you want to test for and in what usage?

eg, strength could use a steel tripod to smash against a carbon fiber tripod or could run a truck over a titanium tripod.

lol. if a truck run over the tripod, and the pod is still in one piece and not scratched, rate it as perfect grade. HAHAHAHA.

for me(newbie) i test the frimness of the tripod, if the the axis rotaes, when clamped. etc. when you spread the legs, does it bent out further?

best is to bring ur camera along. to hold onto the camera tightly is more important than anything else, must not shake, roates, drop or topple when ur camera is mounted

the main purpose of a tripod is to hold your camera still

so first test is to do a really long exposure with your camera
maybe 1 or 2 seconds will do

then check for camera shake

i am not sure if my method is right...

for me personally i would select a tripod based on:

1. the height of the legs without extending the center colum (need to compliment my height so i dun have to bow at an angle to take pics)
2. the compatibility with the head that i will use on it
3. then the overall load it can take.

only then i will take into consideration the details, workmanship, material quality...

most importantly its the ergonomics & "sturdy-ness".

Hi all

Need the seniors' help. Any handy tips when testing out a tripod (CF and/or Aluminium)? What are the details, workmanship, material quality to look out for before buying? Help list them here!

B. Regards.

Last edited:
lol. if a truck run over the tripod, and the pod is still in one piece and not scratched, rate it as perfect grade. HAHAHAHA.

for me(newbie) i test the frimness of the tripod, if the the axis rotaes, when clamped. etc. when you spread the legs, does it bent out further?

best is to bring ur camera along. to hold onto the camera tightly is more important than anything else, must not shake, roates, drop or topple when ur camera is mounted
agree on this...any shop worth its salt will allow testing before purchase.

make a trip to TK and test the tripods there, quite a big range there...
also, do consider getting a good head if you do not want bad creeping...

go with a budget, do not be swayed to spend more than you really want to spend...
but if you are into photography long term, then spend once to get a "good good" one and no need to upgrade...
camera bodies come and go very fast, tripod stays more many many years...

Status
Not open for further replies.