Tripod, small & mighty to introduce.

EisMann

Feb 15, 2013
Singapore
G'Morning,

For those who are using or buy many types of tripods, so far what is the tripod that you have, feel like it is like 孫悟空 staff/stick?
When not in used, the tripod can be folded up so small that can tuck inside, say ThinkPad notebook bag. When in used, can even hold as heavy as Canon 1D including the 600mm F4 lens.

Ok I have exaggerated. The bag maybe unrealistic small and the gear too big and heavy. I just bring up for sizing purpose.

I like to take photos after work. My last trip to Shanghai, I have to bring tripod because I went to the Bund to shoot night scene.
As it is a business trip, I like bring my photo gears as inconspicuous as possible. Nor the bag is too big to put to the overhead air cabin compartment.

In my last trip, I have to dropped my work stuff in the hotel and collected my tripod for the shoot.

Ok some of you may say, use monopod, use string to form a triangle with your 2 feet and the camera lens. use bean bags, mini tripod......etc.
All the places I will be going, I am going for the first time and I don't have the luxury of time. At most, 6 or 8 hours before I take the last flight home.
i like to spend the limited time to take photos instead of looking for ways to improvise.

Getting those mobile phone camera add on lenses or filters from TaoBao will be my very last, last option.

I am using M4/3 gears. The heaviest setup is about 3kg. My eye level is 1.6m.
For Biz trip, I am using company's issued Dell notebook backpack, (0.4Hx0.36Wx0.12D)m.

Please share.

Thank You
EisMann

Any small travel tipods from reputable brands like Manfrotto, Sirui or Benro will be good enough. Prices around $100 - $200.

The Dell laptop back is quite soft. Better you get some inserts with zippers, keeps your gear nicely separated from the laptop stuff. Clear out unused items, we all accumulate quite a fair bit of stuff in our bags for work.
For a tripod, just spend a few hours in the usual shops. I saw Leofoto as new kids on the block, @daredevil123 has spent some time with a larger / high end model and was quite happy. I would detach the head when not using, makes the whole package smaller.
In the long run, I would check for better backpack. There are plenty of models with separation of equipment and other items with plenty of space for business purposes (laptop, charger, A5 notebook, other small items). With that, you have both topics covered in a neat and clean way.

Octarine, Ziggy,

Thank you for the replies.

Will check out Leofoto, Beno & Suri.
Have seen the usual sizes of Manfrotto & Gitzo. Will ask for more ranges.

This is my gear. The cam bag can put basic cleaning kit like the pen brush, lint free cloth, couple of SD cards plus a pop out flash.
Can squeeze inside the Dell bag, the main compartment without comprising the notebook.

Hence like to look for a reasonable extended height tripod to squeeze inside the Dell bag.

IMG_20190104_123254.jpg

EisMann

No Sir!

Not working for Dell. Company issued.
Like to look for tripod when folded < 40cm so that can put inside one of the compartment instead outside like this.

did not have time to drop in Plaza Sing or Peninsula Plaza yet to look Sirui or Benro models.

IMG_20190317_124218.jpg

Thanks Bamboo.

That's the smallest folded tripod I ever seen.

Incidentally in the last IT Show, I dropped in a booth selling both Vanguard & Velbon tripods.

I told them of my enquiry of small folded tripod. The Sale guy told me for these brands did not have my requirement. They recommended Samurai, a carbon frame tripod looked like Beno & Suri.

Thank You