Tripod Recommendations

thirtyone

Dec 13, 2008
Hi, I have looked through "mass sales" in clubsnap.. can't decide on which tripod and what are the main uses (even after going to the brand's website). I got confused with all the info~! Might as well, heed fellow members for recommendations to a tripod that covers these basic needs :

1. Preferably made of Carbon Fibre

2. Load should be able to withstand >5KG

3. Height should not be higher that 1.65M, How low it goes doesn't really matter..

4. Weight of the tripod definitely not too light! But not too heavy making it a burden to the shoulder... :confused:

5. Budget = <$150

My main use of the tripod is taking panorama & portrait photographs..! :)

It would be easier for me to walk into a shop and ask for the price of certain tripod from each shop then having to flood them with all the questions!

Thanks for taking the time to read. Need your replies! :D

i dont think u can get any carbon fibre tripod within your budget ...
u can go take a look at benro aluminium EX series tripod ... it quite sturdy and good and the price is reasonable too ... u can look at the mass sale section for it ...
hope it helps :)

5. Budget = <$150

When thread starter drops requirement no. 1 or no. 5 is removed from criteria list, the search pool widens significantly.

Dear t/s the cheapest carbon fiber tripod i knew off cost at least at a minimum of $650++, and its a manfrotto.

...cheapest carbon fiber tripod i knew off cost at least at a minimum of $650++....

...multiply your budget by 5 before considering a Carbon Fibre tripod with a decent ball head.

Thread starter may also check up carbon fiber tripod from Benro or Sirui or Manda or other brands of tripod which are cheaper.

Hi, I have looked through "mass sales" in clubsnap.. can't decide on which tripod and what are the main uses (even after going to the brand's website). I got confused with all the info~! Might as well, heed fellow members for recommendations to a tripod that covers these basic needs :

2. Load should be able to withstand >5KG

3. Height should not be higher that 1.65M, How low it goes doesn't really matter..

4. Weight of the tripod definitely not too light! But not too heavy making it a burden to the shoulder... :confused:

5. Budget = <$150

My main use of the tripod is taking panorama & portrait photographs..! :)

It would be easier for me to walk into a shop and ask for the price of certain tripod from each shop then having to flood them with all the questions!

Thanks for taking the time to read. Need your replies! :D

Condition #5 already excludes most good quality, NON-CF tripods that can comfortably do >5kg. In reality, that probably means looking for a tripod with an advertised max load of 10kg or more. One possibility is to look for antique metal tripods at bargain basement prices.

Still have to take into account a good pano head, as well as dedicated nodal point attachment. These two alone could easily amount to $800 - $1K plus, not including the tripod. Cheapo less reliable head knock off say $200 - $400. Or can get a cheapo head in the $80 - $200 region with a pano base and DIY a nodal point attachment for around $100+, but quite a bit of precision work is involved.

You might be able to get a Benro Carbon Fiber tripod for $300-$400..... but without any 'Head'....

So TS.... your $150 buget is..... :sweat:

Oh my sorry. Maybe I should get rid of the type of material and increase my budget to $200? Any more, will be a little too steep for me..

You might be able to get a Benro Carbon Fiber tripod for $300-$400..... but without any 'Head'....

So TS.... your $150 buget is..... :sweat:
:embrass:

Oh my sorry. Maybe I should get rid of the type of material and increase my budget to $200? Any more, will be a little too steep for me..

Try looking for 2nd hand set-ups, or some of the Benro kits in the Mass Sales section, but whatever the advertised max load rating is, simply halve it.

heys, I bought a tripod a few days back at cathay photo. they all selling manfrotto 055xprob for 198 sgd. but w/o the head la. maybe thats a good choice.

TS.... check with Jack006 to see for any good Benro offer at the Mass Order section.

With your new buget of $200.... you might be able to get a good Alumin Tripod.... but no way for Carbon Fiber :bsmilie:

My advise is to get a good tripod instead of cutting corners and ending up with something that you'd upgrade in a year's time, and lose money on the purchase. For your budget of $150-200, you could be looking at the Benro, Manfrotto or Silk tripods. The Manfrotto 190 is a good choice, and coupled with a nice tripod head, it matches your budget nicely.

As for the weight, height and the load capacity, the Manfrotto 190 should be right in your ballpark. It's not extremely heavy, yet it's sturdy enough for a 70-200mm f/2.8 or 300mm f/4. Forget about carbon fiber tripods - its way out of your budget.

You should also be paying attention to the tripod head. Get a sturdy head and you're good for a decade of photography easily. Think about whether you want a tilt-and-pan or a ball-head. The nice thing about buying good tripods is that they'll last you a long time, and even if you decide to buy a larger one or lighter one in future, the original one still serves its purpose somewhere down the line. Buy a cheap one though, and you'd be junking it very soon.

Thanks everyone for your replies.. I've got myself a vanguard tripod for $140 :) It's gd enough for me.. Quite satisfied so far :)

My advise is to get a good tripod instead of cutting corners and ending up with something that you'd upgrade in a year's time, and lose money on the purchase. For your budget of $150-200, you could be looking at the Benro, Manfrotto or Silk tripods. The Manfrotto 190 is a good choice, and coupled with a nice tripod head, it matches your budget nicely.

As for the weight, height and the load capacity, the Manfrotto 190 should be right in your ballpark. It's not extremely heavy, yet it's sturdy enough for a 70-200mm f/2.8 or 300mm f/4. Forget about carbon fiber tripods - its way out of your budget.

You should also be paying attention to the tripod head. Get a sturdy head and you're good for a decade of photography easily. Think about whether you want a tilt-and-pan or a ball-head. The nice thing about buying good tripods is that they'll last you a long time, and even if you decide to buy a larger one or lighter one in future, the original one still serves its purpose somewhere down the line. Buy a cheap one though, and you'd be junking it very soon.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.. Got myself a tripod already.. :)

I am asking a question and not replying here since we are on the same topic.

I already have an Aluminum Manfrotto tripod but finds it too heavy. Looking at Carbon Fiber ones. Are Benro tripods and heads good? I generally do not trust made in China quality but it's at a good price. Anyone has any bad experience with Benro legs and heads?

I am asking a question and not replying here since we are on the same topic.

I already have an Aluminum Manfrotto tripod but finds it too heavy. Looking at Carbon Fiber ones. Are Benro tripods and heads good? I generally do not trust made in China quality but it's at a good price. Anyone has any bad experience with Benro legs and heads?

I have tried Benro tripods in a shop. The built quality is certainly not as good as Manfrotto.