Tripod Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshkoh

Oct 30, 2003
Visit site
Hi all-
Anyone can recommend me a light, good, relatively cheap tripod that can hold a canon 300D with either a 75-300 or 28-135? Probably around price range of $100? Anyone know where to buy from and the range that the local stores carry....

I would place empahsis on the portability of the tripod.....

Please help!
Thanks!

joshkoh said:
Hi all-
Anyone can recommend me a light, good, relatively cheap tripod that can hold a canon 300D with either a 75-300 or 28-135? Probably around price range of $100? Anyone know where to buy from and the range that the local stores carry....

Please help!
Thanks!

Maybe you can consider a Slik......

I just got myself a manfrotto 190D, and it's really very stable for my 300D and 28-135.. Even put a 420EX on top, and no unstability whatsoever...

joshkoh said:
Hi all-

Please help!
Thanks!

A light tripod has a higher chance of toppling over.. Why not invest in a better and sturdy tripod when your camera and + 28-135 cost over $2k. You won't want your tripod to topple over with your camera and get damaged right ?

I have 3 tripod, 1st one come as a package, not able to hold the camera when doing vertical shot.

2nd, bigger but not better.

3rd, manfrotto 190db. Heavy but very stable.

But now regreted, should have bought 190pro. Reason, the centre column can tilt, can go horizontal.

Since you have such a good set up, then go for something that will not only meet your current needs, but also you future. Manfrotto tripod is very well build, can last your life time.

Also, read from some forum, some use it to defend themselve against thugs and wild animal, something that is not likely to happen in singapore. But you get the idea of the build quality.

i use a Slik sprint GM pro with a slik ballhead 800. the tripod itself is very light.. legs itself only 900grams. but my ballhead weights 2kg.. :sweat:

i use it with my s2pro, do vertical shots, weird angle shots.. blah blah..

it holds up pretty well. but the downside is that it's prone to shakes, so i'm aiming for a cable shutter release soon.

Never get a tripod which is light for your convenience. I use a 055B Legs with 141RC Head. Heavy tripods are never a hassle to me as it's long term investment again. I used my tripod from a small digicam to a 35mm to a medium format.

Just imagine, you are on a very long exposure like 10 mins to 30 minutes. Your image will definately be blurred because your tripod is not holding your camera down.

There is only one way, well budgetly speaking is you still can buy a light tripod and pray that you find some heavy rocks put in your camera bag and hang it on the bottom of the tripod but be careful your bag might shake!!!!

Just fork out some money if you are serious hobbyist!!

:p My 2 cents worth........... :p

Hi, a fellow CS is selling a manfrotto 190b c/w ball head and sling. Good investment. Consider!!

what recomm would you guys give if only for canon A80 and nothing else? well maybe a sony digi-video cam (mini-dv). thks a lot.

pterodactylim: The SLIK U6600/U8000 is more then sufficient for your setups.

Pro Image said:
Never get a tripod which is light for your convenience. I use a 055B Legs with 141RC Head. Heavy tripods are never a hassle to me as it's long term investment again. I used my tripod from a small digicam to a 35mm to a medium format.

Just imagine, you are on a very long exposure like 10 mins to 30 minutes. Your image will definately be blurred because your tripod is not holding your camera down.

There is only one way, well budgetly speaking is you still can buy a light tripod and pray that you find some heavy rocks put in your camera bag and hang it on the bottom of the tripod but be careful your bag might shake!!!!

Just fork out some money if you are serious hobbyist!!

:p My 2 cents worth........... :p

Just to ask, how much did you pay for the setup?
I'm looking at a 055AB with 486RC2. Anyone knows how much this combo costs?
Can this tripod do centre column tilt, horizontal as well?

What I suggest is that you spend a little more on a good tripod, so that if you progress on to more 'serious' gear, your tripod will still be able to support your gears.

SLIK Able300DX with panhead ~ 2.5kg ; $125 at CP
my setup uo is similar to urs. it has served me well. manfrotto 190 is a good bet too.

Thanks for all the advice....
got the manfrotto already!

:D

SNAG said:
Just to ask, how much did you pay for the setup?
I'm looking at a 055AB with 486RC2. Anyone knows how much this combo costs?
Can this tripod do centre column tilt, horizontal as well?

What I suggest is that you spend a little more on a good tripod, so that if you progress on to more 'serious' gear, your tripod will still be able to support your gears.

486RC2 = $85

Status
Not open for further replies.