Tripod Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freed

Jan 4, 2003
Northern Singapore
www.pddesignstudio.com
Looking for a cheap tripod.

Folded length must be less than 21 or 22 inch, must come with a head.

Dun mind if it's 4 section.

Any recommendations?

What would the weight of your typical setup when mounted on the tripod? would be easier to recommend if you could also put that down, and the budget you are working with. :)

Weight... shouldn't be more than 1.5kg - I am using F70 and dun really use heavy lenses.

Budget.... around $100, maybe, if the tripod is really worth it dun mind paying more.

But The folded length must be shorter then 21inch, so I presume I will be looking at a 4 section tripod.

Any recommendations, thanks!!!

Why not invest in a good tripod, esp if you are a serious photographer. A good tripod should last you a long time. Stability of the tripod makes sharp pictures. Good tripod reduces virbration from passing traffic (eg Shears Bridge) and from camera shutter. :)

Recomemdation: Manfrotto 190B or 190ProB + 486RC2 Ballhead

perhaps a Slik Sprint Pro GM? It's slightly longer but fits the other requirements. Won't be very stable with big lenses though and you might want to get a better head.

Originally posted by mpenza
perhaps a Slik Sprint Pro GM? It's slightly longer but fits the other requirements. Won't be very stable with big lenses though and you might want to get a better head.

I used to bring the Manfrotto 190 for hiking every week. But the combine weight of the Tripod, Long Lens and Body landed me in backaches and shoulder pains. Ever since I bought the Slik Sprint Pro, it is so light and stable that I don't mind carrying it everyday. However, I have to DOWNGRADED my SLR body to the BEGINNER grade (EOS 30 to EOS 300 and EOS500N) to match the tripod :bsmilie:

I'm very very happy with the new combine weight :D

Seriously, if you're a outdoor shooter, Don't buy equipments that are too heavy to carry around for ONE Whole day :devil:

Originally posted by jasonpgc
I used to bring the Manfrotto 190 for hiking every week. But the combine weight of the Tripod, Long Lens and Body landed me in backaches and shoulder pains. Ever since I bought the Slik Sprint Pro, it is so light and stable that I don't mind carrying it everyday. ...
Seriously, if you're a outdoor shooter, Don't buy equipments that are too heavy to carry around for ONE Whole day :devil:

Cannot agree more. A tripod can weigh a ton after a short walk. The Sprint Pro really is a good balance of weight, functionality, and price.

BUT you are looking for a 4 section, I would not extend the Sprint Pro beyond 3 sections, as the last part is very wobbly when fully extend. So if you really need extra height, extend section 4 mid-way instead.

You could get it new for about $80 at MS Color, a good buy. I did not buy a new head for this though, preferring to buy a UN Jumbo Quick Shoe instead. Works fine for me.

Thanks folk. Went to CP today and saw the Slik Sprint Pro too. Considering tt now.

What is a good head to go with it?

Would appreciate if anyone could give me a rough indication of the prices :)

Hee Thanks!!

Originally posted by Pepper
Good tripod reduces virbration from passing traffic (eg Shears Bridge) and from camera shutter.

Wrong. A good tripod cannot perform these two functions.

A good, stable tripod cannot provide a stable platform for the camera if the place you put the tripod on is shaking or vibrating.

Camera shutters do not shake the camera. It's the mirror slap in SLRs that cause the problem.

I am going to hijack Freed's thread and see if I get answer for my question instead of starting another tripod thread :)

I am currently using a Manfrotto 190CLB with 141RC head.

What I need to know if this setup is O.K for a Nikon F100 and AF-S Nikkor 300/2.8 (some times with TC-14E II or TC-20E II)

Or would the tripod be better with a ball head ?

or a different tripod and head ?

cheers and sorry Freed

james m ....

Originally posted by mysteriousjimmy
I am going to hijack Freed's thread and see if I get answer for my question instead of starting another tripod thread :)

I am currently using a Manfrotto 190CLB with 141RC head.

What I need to know if this setup is O.K for a Nikon F100 and AF-S Nikkor 300/2.8 (some times with TC-14E II or TC-20E II)

Or would the tripod be better with a ball head ?

or a different tripod and head ?

cheers and sorry Freed

james m ....

ok jimmy,

i dont really know the answer but these are the guidelines i follow.

1) weight of load. don't overload your tripod or the tripod head. stay within the limits of the specifications.

2) i presume that you have a tripod collar for the 300mm? use that.

3) personally, i think a panhead will be more stable than a ballhead for heavier lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.