tripod recommendation

ducky88

Apr 22, 2010
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
can bros here intro me some tripod. i read from some bros here in other post. They suggest dont get a tripod tat extend from the middle of the 3 stand(legs) as it is unbalance. I nid a tripod tat can be use for travelling ard.

Huh? don't get a tripod that extend from middle of 3 legs?
Do you mean the center column?

When the center column is extended, the tripod isn't quite so stable.
Hence it's better not to count the center column when calculating the height of the tripod.

For low budget, you can consider brands like Fancier, Sirui, Benro, Velbon, Slik.
For higher budget, you can consider Manfrotto, Gitzo

For tripod, there are a number of factors to consider:

1) Load capacity
2) Max height (fully deployed)
3) Min height (folded)
4) Number of sections
5) Weight
6) Price

Hence it's better not to count the center column when calculating the height of the tripod.

For low budget, you can consider brands like Fancier, Sirui, Benro, Velbon, Slik.

yup the center column. my budget is ard $300 looking for gitzo or manfrotto. hopefully is within the budget and get extend to the height of 1.8m.

Can consider the Sirui T-1205X. For ballhead, can consider either the sirui g10,g20 or photoclam or markins.
It's carbon fibre and folds up to just 37cm excluding head. I bought mine at TK foto

If you need 1.8m, you will need to consider other tripods. Stable tripods at 1.8m will be longer when fully folded up.

Last edited:
can bros here intro me some tripod. i read from some bros here in other post. They suggest dont get a tripod tat extend from the middle of the 3 stand(legs) as it is unbalance. I nid a tripod tat can be use for travelling ard.

Try Sirui if u are on a budget or get Gitzo if u are constraint by tat.

TK Foto a gd place to get all these :)

$300 for gitzo or manfrotto???

wait long long...

don't forget that you also need to purchase the tripod head, which can cost anywhere from $50 - $2000+
i think gitzo legs alone are upwards of $500. Don't tell me you'll fix a $50 head on it? :D

Manfrotto maybe possible for head and tripod combo around $300, but I can't stand the weight.

If you're 1.8m and want to stand fairly upright when photographing, then probably you need a tripod that's 1.55-1.6m when fully extended (w/o center column). Add in the head and the height of the camera to the viewfinder, and should be about right.

For tripod, there are a number of factors to consider:

1) Load capacity
2) Max height (fully deployed)
3) Min height (folded)
4) Number of sections
5) Weight
6) Price

is a gd guide for me. thank you.

1) support til 3kg
2) 1.8m
3) No idea. ( will find out more)
4) 3-4 sections
5) 1-2kg
6) $300

ACtually bro, the all aluminium Manfrottos are quite good value for money.

The carbon fiber ones from Sirui Benro, Velbon and Slik are also quite picey.

Gitzo, well, we all know it is hella expensive.

is a gd guide for me. thank you.

1) support til 3kg
2) 1.8m
3) No idea. ( will find out more)
4) 3-4 sections
5) 1-2kg
6) $300

am not asking you to fill in the blanks! :bsmilie:

Use those criteria to shortlist some tripod models.

Read my earlier reply. If you're 1.8m, and you get a tripod that's 1.8m, once you fix the tripod head (eg. ballhead) and the camera on top, how high do you think the viewfinder will be? You'll need a step ladder to see! :D

Last edited:
ACtually bro, the all aluminium Manfrottos are quite good value for money.

The carbon fiber ones from Sirui Benro, Velbon and Slik are also quite picey.

Gitzo, well, we all know it is hella expensive.
ya I think my list not so accurate... :embrass:

type too quick.

but must also compare apple with apple...

CF Benros are still significantly cheaper than CF Manfrottos...
The Manfrotto equivalent to my tripod would have set me back an additional 40%

Last edited:
am not asking you to fill in the blanks! :bsmilie:

Use those criteria to shortlist some tripod models.

Read my earlier reply. If you're 1.8m, and you get a tripod that's 1.8m, once you fix the tripod head (eg. ballhead) and the camera on top, how high do you think the viewfinder will be? You'll need a step ladder to see! :D

haha. ok. sorry for the noob question. but tripod come with ballhead?

haha. ok. sorry for the noob question. but tripod come with ballhead?
Not always.
Like cameras, tripods are packaged accordingly.

Basic cameras/tripods are packaged with lenses/heads since they are targetted at first-time users.

Advanced/expensive cameras/tripods are usually sold separately since buyers might already have their own lenses/head

Not always.
Like cameras, tripods are packaged accordingly.

Basic cameras/tripods are packaged with lenses/heads since they are targetted at first-time users.

Advanced/expensive cameras/tripods are usually sold separately since buyers might already have their own lenses/head

ic. ok i will do more research. i nid a pricelist for tripods. but the pricelist for tripod are all 2007 price. :bsmilie:

Oh I forgot 1 calculation. Unless you're some alien, your eyes will not be 1.8m from the ground if you're 1.8m tall.... :bsmilie:

You need to calculate the height of your eyes, then deduct the height of your camera (from viewfinder to base), then deduct the height of the tripod head, and that's the maximum height your tripod should be when fully deployed. Slightly shorter is no problem.

Cheap, strong (sturdy), light.

Pick two.

...the tripod head, which can cost anywhere from $50 - $2000+
i think gitzo legs alone are upwards of $500. Don't tell me you'll fix a $50 head on it? :D

Bro, don't poison him with $1700 tripod heads lah :nono:
That said, it's true; you need to balance everything out. No point having a weakest link e.g. having super expensive tripod head with cheapo tripod legs, or vice versa. The weakest link will bring everything down.

Last week, YS shared how just by using the centre column of the tripod unnecessarily, can weaken the chain of things already.