Tripod recommendation

dadaChoy

Dec 31, 2009
Hi All,
I am thinking of getting a tripod for night shoot. My budget is around $100. Any recommendation? I don't mind the weight. Mainly looking for a stable and one within my budget. Thank you!

PS: I am currently using D5000 with kit lens and 55-200 mm lens.

Your set up not too heavy. Can look at some of those China-made brands.
Benro, Sirui, Fancier come to mind.

Benro I think is over $100 :)

Hi All,
I am thinking of getting a tripod for night shoot. My budget is around $100. Any recommendation? I don't mind the weight. Mainly looking for a stable and one within my budget. Thank you!

PS: I am currently using D5000 with kit lens and 55-200 mm lens.

Budget too low, even for a 2nd hand set, unless you want a flimsy and unreliable kit like shopping center tripod - anytime can come crashing down and DSLR and lens all kenar smash.

Anyway, hope this helps:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Budget too low, even for a 2nd hand set, unless you want a flimsy and unreliable kit like shopping center tripod - anytime can come crashing down and DSLR and lens all kenar smash.

Anyway, hope this helps:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Thanks for replying and the website. Just feel that my gear are quite light as well (Slightly more than 1 kg, i suppose). That why i plan to get a simple tripod for basic use. Plan to save some money for the SB600 and one portrait len. Maybe i will give it a second thought on how to spread out the budget.

Last edited:
hi,

let me help u out, less than 100 u can get a Fancier, but the trouble is that probably u should get something that can last u longer. Fancier at less than 100 comfirm got, but i think not so good quality. Why dont u stretch u budget to 130? I can get u a brand new one. Coz i bought a few on impulse lOL!!!!!!! coz its really value for money. I'm selling one at this thread http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684867
but this has been tried for testing purposes so i'm selling at 120.

if u want my the other set which got brand new smell lol, i sell u at 130. comes with ballhead with tension knob. quality is not bad. no obligations to view.

hi,

let me help u out, less than 100 u can get a Fancier, but the trouble is that probably u should get something that can last u longer. Fancier at less than 100 comfirm got, but i think not so good quality. Why dont u stretch u budget to 130? I can get u a brand new one. Coz i bought a few on impulse lOL!!!!!!! coz its really value for money. I'm selling one at this thread http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684867

if u want my the other set which got brand new smell lol, i sell u at 130. comes with ballhead with tension knob. quality is not bad. no obligations to view.

TS if you can stretch your budget to 120 or 130, might as well get a aluminium Benro or Sirui. Don't bother with Weifeng/Fancier at this price range.

Benro is cheap and good. But it still cost more than $100 though, so u still need to increase ur budget

hi,

I don't think you can advertise this blatantly in a non-sales section of the forum...

dadaChoy, Fancier is of good built, Benro and Sirui will NOT be able to give u a BALL HEAD WITH TENSION KNOB for sure. normal tripods with normal ball heads might be hard alr, not to mention ball heads with tension knobs. Pretty sure about it. at the range of 120 - 130 u wanna get a tripod with professional ball head with tension, i doubt there's anyone brands out there that can beat Fancier. If Benro with u a ball head with tension knob at 120, i'll go down immediately and get two sets.

TS if you can stretch your budget to 120 or 130, might as well get a aluminium Benro or Sirui. Don't bother with Weifeng/Fancier at this price range.

Last edited:
Sorry for causing argument over my topic! :( I guess i will stretch my budget to around 150 SGP.

lol! no lah, not really arguments haha... do walk around in cp and have a look and the staff will show u some models. they're pretty friendly and knows a lot about tripods. have fun!

u can try peninsula htl, itz ware tcw is located...lvl 1, haf seen a few shops ard...theres a shop selling benro tripods ..u might wan to go there to check it out...:D

Just borrow for one night?

u can try peninsula htl, itz ware tcw is located...lvl 1, haf seen a few shops ard...theres a shop selling benro tripods ..u might wan to go there to check it out...:D

The shop that you are refering to. If i am not wrong, they are the Singapore distributors for Benro products.

Cheers:)

ohhh ya, there's a benro shop at penisular shopping center, not plaza, its the opposite one. ya level 1. the tripods are pretty steady i must say. but again, if u wanna upgrade to tension knob i'll cost u 298, without tension will be around 190 i guess. they have cheaper range too. been there twice. the sales guy is pretty friendly.

dadaChoy, Fancier is of good built, Benro and Sirui will NOT be able to give u a BALL HEAD WITH TENSION KNOB for sure. normal tripods with normal ball heads might be hard alr, not to mention ball heads with tension knobs. Pretty sure about it. at the range of 120 - 130 u wanna get a tripod with professional ball head with tension, i doubt there's anyone brands out there that can beat Fancier. If Benro with u a ball head with tension knob at 120, i'll go down immediately and get two sets.

It is not about the features offered but the quality of the product. Do you want something that is cheap but offer every feature (but breaks easy) or one that lasts? When so much is offered for so little money, something's got to give (usually quality).

Tear open a ballhead of a Weifeng/Fancier head and you will see what I mean.

Trust me. I have been living in China for 7 years and have 2 weifengs myself. Even the locals here do not like to use Weifeng unless really on a strict budget. And the Weifeng/Fancier products are about half the price in China compared to Singapore. Benro, Sirui and Giottos (taiwan company with factories in Shenzen) makes pretty good products. Of the 3, I rank them so:

1. Giottos
2. Sirui
3. Benro

Weifeng/Fancier is for people who just want to buy a cheapo tripod for a couple of trips to throw around the tripod. They do not hold up well to abuse and heavier setups. And it is the defacto brand of tripods sold in lousy tourist traps. No decent camera store in China will recommend you a weifeng/fancier unless your budget is very tight. That, or if you look like a carrot head waiting to be chopped.

If you have slightly more budget, you might also want to consider Velbon or the slik pro series. And if you want to move up, go Manfrotto. And up some more to Gitzo if you have the budget for it. If you have even more budget, and uses a lot of big long bazooka lenses, you can go for Sachtler for a small piece of your fortune.

Last edited:
hi, okie for this i get what u mean lol. as for how long will it last i've no idea haaa.. so i cant garantee on that. however having used Fancier personally, i would say its pretty okie, a bang for the price i would say. considering 100+ for a portable tripod with tension ball head. its incredibly value for money.

for benro, i tried the standard model which provides option to upgrade the ball head, yes, its fantastic of coz lol. i'm impressed by it.

if u have spare cash... invest in a 190prob manfottro, always there's a price factor though. cheers!

It is not about the features offered but the quality of the product. Do you want something that is cheap but offer every feature (but breaks easy) or one that lasts? When so much is offered for so little money, something's got to give (usually quality).

Tear open a ballhead of a Weifeng/Fancier head and you will see what I mean.

Trust me. I have been living in China for 7 years and have 2 weifengs myself. Even the locals here do not like to use Weifeng unless really on a strict budget. And the Weifeng/Fancier products are about half the price in China compared to Singapore.

Last edited:
i'll see how long my fancier last me then. so long it can last a certain duration is fine for me though. i'm pretty curious too. i'm getting the manfottro tripod 190prob which is freaking solid to use too.