Tripod Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy

Jan 4, 2006
Hi,

would like to get some suggestions getting a tripod.

Future Maximum Setup - D300 range + 105 2.8 VR lens

I know there's a lof of info like manfrotto's weight calculator etc. but im not sure how heavy these two work to be..not to mention other brands' calculator etc. and there's too much selection at the shops, makes my eyes dizzy

im leading towards the manfrotto's 190Xpro genre, no gitzo for me, but main concern i guess would be the tripod head

Appreciate if members can help to identify and eyeball any setup

I am using the manfrotto 190xpro with the 486rc2 head... heaviest I put on is

D300 + 70-300mm VR + SB600.. and the head still can lock.

great, i'll keep that in mind. another one i still can't decide is whether to go for pan or ballhead

as the other time when i shoot in night. my body was in portrait and tilted to face up to the sky. notice that the body do slide down

great, i'll keep that in mind. another one i still can't decide is whether to go for pan or ballhead

as the other time when i shoot in night. my body was in portrait and tilted to face up to the sky. notice that the body do slide down

Since you are going into macro, i would recommend you get a ballhead using arca-swiss system. KangRinpoche & Markin is a good choice as they had less creep.

thanks leong

when u say creep, what do u mean by that?

thanks leong

when u say creep, what do u mean by that?

Not very good in word....
Creep means after you tighten the knob, it will still be slight changes before it come to complete stop due to the weight of the setup. Quite a pain if you are doing macro when slight changes means alot.

Use to own Manfrotto 488RC4, very happy with it until i go into macro, now using KangRinpoche, cheaper version of Markin.

OT a bit.. you are Izzy from Plamo right? ;p

yes and izzy**** from sgcollect

ah, ok........cos i would spend money on a decent tripod, as i figured i only need ONE good tripod. aslo in this sense, i think the ballhead/pan is more impt than the tripod itself

ah, ok........cos i would spend money on a decent tripod, as i figured i only need ONE good tripod. aslo in this sense, i think the ballhead/pan is more impt than the tripod itself

My thoughts exactly. Tripod to me is like lens, will last if taken care of and interchangeable is you're upgrading (same brand for lens)....

i may be wrong abt this.. but are ball-heads more popular with photographers? Seems to be the case esp since many don't recommend the pan-tilt heads. Is there anything 'bad' abt the pan-tilt heads? besides the fact that you hv to do 2 actions (i.e. pan and tilt) instead of just 1 with a ballhead. Is speed the only downside to it?

I'm also shopping for one.... when compared, I find that it seems more fluid.

3-way pan or ball head is up to your like, for macro, i would recommand ball head as it is easiler to compose.

From Manfrotto website
A 3-way pan have separate locking controls and rotational movement on each axis - panoramic, front tilt and side tilt, allowing precise framing adjustment.

A ball head allows movement on all axes at the same time with a single locking mechanism, ideal for faster framing changes.

From RSS wedsite
Top quality ballheads can support heavy loads, lock solidly, and move smoothly. All top quality ballheads are faster to use and inherently more stable than any 3-axis “pan-tilt” tripod heads. Aiming and horizon leveling can be accomplished as one instinctive motion, and rigid lockup takes just a quick twist of one control. The best ballheads also offer variable “drag” (tension) that makes them easy to control. Tripods with ballheads are also much easier to carry and pack than tripods with pan-tilt heads—no long, protruding handles.

Hope the above help

thanks, seeing that im still relative new, im going to the manfrotto 190 with a ball head for the time being, still go dough for lens, i want that tammy bad

will hopefully upgrade eventually to gitzo with arca swiss or markins

I used to own a Manfrotto (190proXB tripod with Giottos MH1000 - 2.5kg) but in due time find that the weight is getting in the way plus sore shoulder and back. Back then I have to find a good reason to bring out my tripod in consideration of its weight and size.
Then I upgrade to Benro Full Carbon Fibre(C-269 tripod with KB-0A - 1.6kg), value for quality and its very light weight/ compact. now I can bring my tripod anywhere I want without any second thoughts.

Think weight whats important to you, price or weight. Something to think about.

yes, but i'll def upgrade in due time. i dont' see myself holding on to the manfrotto indefinitely, but setting the funds for somewhere else first. i can live with this at this moment.

hi everyone,

been reading around on tripods. im a complete newbie with tripods, never owned or used one, however i intend to invest on one to use at home to have a good at some product photography.

so i guess weight shouldnt be an issue?

erm any1 got any recommendations as to what i should get?

will be helpful if you can indicate how much is it as well.

:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.