Tripod Recommendation...

pwnies5600

Oct 29, 2014
Clementi
Have no tripod now so planning to get a decent one that will probably last me for a year. Will a 190 series Manfrotto tripod with a 352RC head work? Gear is Canon 700D with 17-40 f4L and Nikon 800E with 70-200 f2.8 VR II. Any other recommendations for tripod/ head systems? Much appreciate the response!

A Manfrotto tripod is pretty decent, but I would personally go for a tripod with twist locks instead of flip locks. The Manfrotto ones tend to degrade over time due to corrosion, especially if you intend to use them in seawater. A Sirui would be a decent choice, or if you have a bigger budget, a Gitzo would do.

As for ballhead, I think it's better to get an Arca-Swiss compatible one should you intend to use L-brackets on your cameras in future. Both Photoclam and Sunwayfoto make quality ones.

your gears cost around 6k, so spend 10% on a tripod doesn't seem too much,
yes, get a arca swiss quick release system, you won't regret this, you can switch head switch tripod switch brand any time don't have any issue.

and yes, Sirui tripod is value for money, and the after sale service is good.

Any specific tripod from sirui should I get or any one will do? The S-1204/5 looks promising.

Any specific tripod from sirui should I get or any one will do? The S-1204/5 looks promising.
you have no experience in using tripod, you can't read the spec and know which tripod is suitable, bring your heaviest set up down to TK foto to try out.

Is TK foto the go to place to try Sirui tripods?

Yes TK foto has lots of selection and very patient advice

Got a N 2004 at TK foto today. Works a treat! Thanks for all the help!

A Manfrotto tripod is pretty decent, but I would personally go for a tripod with twist locks instead of flip locks. The Manfrotto ones tend to degrade over time due to corrosion, especially if you intend to use them in seawater. A Sirui would be a decent choice, or if you have a bigger budget, a Gitzo would do.

As for ballhead, I think it's better to get an Arca-Swiss compatible one should you intend to use L-brackets on your cameras in future. Both Photoclam and Sunwayfoto make quality ones.

I have used twist locks and flip locks and still own both versions. With twist locks you can unscrew all sections with one motion, but thereafter it is individual screwing of each section to get it locked. For a 4 section tripod it has 3 joints to screw, times 3 legs, equals to 9 screwing joints. Fast to unlock, slow to set up.

With flip locks, it is faster with a flip. With practice, you can unlock 2 joints with one hand motion for a 3 section tripod. So its actually faster.

All brands will degrade and corrode when you use it in seawater without maintenance. Soak a Sirui in the sea and then leave it out in the air over a few days and see if chemical reaction still takes place or not. If you are truly sea resistance you have to go Gitzo Ocean series but at $3000++ price tag, you can buy better camera and lens with that money and even Gitzo state that their Ocean series is not 100% waterproof, it is just a bit more resistance and you still have to do maintenance for it.

The Sirui is a good choice for carbon fibre options without the price of Gitzo, but if you are looking for heavier tripod for stability and holding large gear, Manfrotto is the way to go. For most hobby shooting, lightweight carbon fiber is better.

There is a pre-owned Sirui clone of the Gitzo explorer on BNS now, at good price and comes with a good ball head.

Last edited: