Tripod recommendation again! (Budget $400)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrailsofLife

Jul 6, 2004
Singapore
Hi everyone,

Going to sell my Manfrotto 190Pro with 488RC2, this was a very good set-up, that I've been using for about 1 year to shoot landscape, and some studio product shoot for some extra cash. Ever since my product shoot got call off because of budget, I've been using it to shoot landcape, mainly. So I decided that dragging my Manfrotto along to outing is not a good idea anymore, although its very stable.

With a budget of $400, can anyone recommend me a light yet stable tripod plus good solid head.
My setups are Nikon D70 with kit lens, peleng 8mm and Nikon 70-300mm. All cheap lens lah. When not shooting IR, I use Canon EOS 20D, with 17-85mm & 70-200mm f2.8L or Sigma 15mm f2.8 & Tamron 90mm f2.8.

Lastly, I really hate tripod with too skinny legs. ;)

Thanksamillion!

Oh, I have did a search in CS for tripod recommendation. Found alot but not helpful enough.:dunno: So I guess everyone have a customised problem.

a newbie opinion if you like:

$400 maybe not slightly too short!

This is what I set for a few months - also $400 for a light n good tripod for travel. So end up with fesiol 3401. It serves me alright - working properly as it is but I Just dun quite like the 'design/built quality' feel.

Make it $600 and you know what it is, otherwise you will end up with an 'heavy' one and you will still have this 'maybe next trip I will bring it along' issue.

If I can reverse time, I will .....

Hi.

If you squeeze another $100, you may wish to look at Velbon Carmagne series ... they are available @ Eastgear.

I'm using a 3+ year Carmagne 630; its light, well-built and still going strong! ;)

sell ur D70 & all Nikon lenses = top-end CF tripod w/ Arcatech Ultimate ballhead?;p

sORe-EyEz said:
sell ur D70 & all Nikon lenses = top-end CF tripod w/ Arcatech Ultimate ballhead?;p

No way, my D70 is for IR shoot. Canon 20D suck big time when comes to ir.

Adam Goi said:
Hi.

If you squeeze another $100, you may wish to look at Velbon Carmagne series ... they are available @ Eastgear.

I'm using a 3+ year Carmagne 630; its light, well-built and still going strong! ;)

Thanks Adam, will check it out. But its just the leg set, right?

Just been to Eastgear to look at tripods.

The 630 is quite similar in dimension to the Feisol 3301. Maybe a tad heavier only.

FYI, the Gitzo promo at Cathay is over. Heard that there will be some new models Gitzos coming end of this month something like 1257.

Also wait see got new promo or not.

Yep, maybe go CP to check out their Gitzo. No need tripod urgently anyway.

Actually, will be good if anyone can recommend me combination of head and leg set and how much.

Check out east gear already, very expensive leh. Buy the leg set, no money to buy ball head liao.

spend more on legs or head now so nx time jus upgrade 1 part. $ave abit tis way...:think:

sORe-EyEz said:
spend more on legs or head now so nx time jus upgrade 1 part. $ave abit tis way...:think:

I will, thanks for the advice. For me, the ball head is more important. A friend just told me my Manfrotto 488rc2 can be used on Gitzo, if I know it earlier, I would just sell the leg set.

488rc2 is a very good ballhead!:thumbsup:

Hi again!

Anyone heard of Gitzo G026 Weekend explorer classic? Never seen it before, is it stable??

Not sure of the G026, but saw the explorer G2227. Big tripod and heavy even though it was CF.

I'm also looking around for a light weight tripod but should be tall enuf for me. However, so far the tall & solid tripods are still heavy. 2 kg for a CF excluding the head.

The G1227 from specs looks good but no more stock. Replace by I think G1257.

The series 0 & 1 are light but too short for me.

Its difficult lah. I think I'll pack up my heaviest lens and my most used dslr and go CP to ask Chris. Actually does TKphoto carry tripods? Here their prices are quite competitive.

Where's else can I try?

Status
Not open for further replies.