Tripod questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freed

Jan 4, 2003
Northern Singapore
www.pddesignstudio.com
Hi, appreciate and can do with some help/ views here.

I have a F70 and my heaviest lens is a cheap Tokina 100-300mm that weighs 466 grams. The F70 weighs 600 grams. So the total is less than 1.1 KG

I am currently using the SLIK U8000 tripod.

In its website it states U8000 it can support up to about 2KG.

I have used this setup for like 6 to 7 years.

I am looking for a more portable and shorter (folded length) tripod, and came across the Sprint Pro which states it can support up to about 2.5 KG. But the description say until like only for digicams. The last time I set foot into the tripod shop for CP at Penin, someone ask about the Sprint Pro too, the salesman said that one only for digicams.

So my question is can the Sprint Pro support my camera and lens?
It's strange that the supported weight is 2.5 KG and yet the saleman say only for digicams. I just find it contradictory.

Would be grateful if someone can help me out b4 I bring my gears to try out at some shops.

Originally posted by Freed

.. So the total is less than 1.1 KG

I am currently using the SLIK U8000 tripod.

I am looking for a more portable and shorter (folded length) tripod, and came across the Sprint Pro which states it can support up to about 2.5 KG. But the description say until like only for digicams. The last time I set foot into the tripod shop for CP at Penin, someone ask about the Sprint Pro too, the salesman said that one only for digicams.

So my question is can the Sprint Pro support my camera and lens?
It's strange that the supported weight is 2.5 KG and yet the saleman say only for digicams. I just find it contradictory.

Hi,

you could still use the Slik 8000, because it has served you well, as you have attested.

but then again, one gets the upgrading bug now and then. :)

So you could go for the Slik Sprint, it comes with a ballhead (manageable, but not fantastic), and has independent legs, which are the main differences with your Slik 8000.

The tripod can be used for both film and digital camera, no restrictions. Perhaps he was thinking that film cameras setup are typically much heavier than consumer digital cameras.

You could get a good price from MS Color with an equote, ask then also for a UN Quick Shoe Jumbo as the quick release plate for the ballhead, all for about $100. You are ready to go from there!

Of course, you could always get another ballhead with quick release plate for a minimum of $50. My take on this is a ballhead of this cost, has very little qualitative difference compared to the original Slik Sprint ballhead.

Main gripe: do not extend the tripod beyond the last section. If you absolutely need extra height, then go for about halfway through the last section.

Hee, not really upgrading, but I will need a much lighter and smaller tripod when travelling.

Anyway, is it possible to get a panhead and use with the Sprint Pro?

you could use any head with the sprint pro. I have gotten a Kaiser ballhead and a Manfrotto 460MG for use on the sprint pro. Either costs more than the tripod and not really necessary :cry:

Originally posted by Freed
Hee, not really upgrading, but I will need a much lighter and smaller tripod when travelling.

Anyway, is it possible to get a panhead and use with the Sprint Pro?

Agree with Mpenza, why bother with a panhead? I always recommend using the product as is, in this case, use the original ballhead, and combine with a quick release plate.

Getting another panhead, or ballhead will mean incurring additional costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.