Tripod queries..

Lucrezia

Jun 9, 2010
Hi guys, just want to know if anyone heard of Vanguard tripods before. Was at MS Color yesterday and they were like offering 35% off for their tripods. Seems like a great deal, but when im searching around the forum, i hardly see anyone mentioning about this brand. Any advice?

TIA!

why not try benro.....

i was at the shop trying out a Benro, A-250EX, but dont think its able to match the Vanguard one though. Especially when the tripod is meant for macro shot :/ But im looking for a tripod below 200

Cathay Photo has promotion, Manfrotto 190XProb with free tripod strap at $183

Last edited:
Vanguard is a new entrant to the market here. I have seen it around when I was in UK.

I almost bought the Alta Pro tripod which won a TIPA award last year. Prior to that, only Vanguard bags were sold here but by limited stores, which I have 2, even the Uprise which also won a TIPA award this year.

I think only recently they have been brought in en masse.

Of course, since being new, will be hard to get a foothold in the photography industry market here.

I am not affiliated with Vanguard in anyway, just an end user.

Btw, if you want to find out about TIPA, click www.tipa.com.

Cheers!

I am using the vanguard tripod now..forgot the model..used it twice..so far not much major problem yet..I am using k-x with 17-70 sigma lens..so my set up (and the weight) could be different from yours..u can try to bring ur camera there to test

hmm okay noted.. gonna check out in the evening. But meanwhile, any recommendations for tripod below 200 for basic usage? Seen too many people recommending high end stuffs here.. :(

you're asking for a lot though... if for macro, I presume you need the center column to go horizontal?
With this function, prices tend to head upward pretty quickly.

My first benro was bought for $120 w ballhead. But it's really short and I found it annoying after a while. How tall are you?

im about 1.75m tall. Macro versatility for a tripod is an addon to me though.

im about 1.75m tall. Macro versatility for a tripod is an addon to me though.

Then i reckon u look at Manfrotto or Gitzo when there's a center column where it allows u to go horizontal...

Then i reckon u look at Manfrotto or Gitzo when there's a center column where it allows u to go horizontal...
but these series are far above my budget though haha

I find the Sirui tripod is very versatile, u might want to check it out. I got mine with ballhead and pack with so many features for $180 for the Au+Fe Alloy set. Which weights around 1Kg but can take a load of 10Kg.

Last edited:
Am a user of Sirui T1005X series.
It cost only 180 with ballhead.

The centre column can be changed to a shorter ones for macro.
Despite the fact that it is a aluminium tripod, it weights only 940grams (with ballhead attached).

will take note :)

but these series are far above my budget though haha

Next to consider will be either Benro or Sirui..

Maybe can head down to stores like CP/TK to find out more?

You can try Slik tripods too, they are usually quite affordable and do a decent job

You can try Slik tripods too, they are usually quite affordable and do a decent job

But please don't get those that you can carry with your pinky! Get one that feels hefty enough but light enough to be carried around all day.

Cheers!

But please don't get those that you can carry with your pinky! Get one that feels hefty enough but light enough to be carried around all day.

Cheers!

Yes, totally agree. Also, pay attention to the thickness of the legs, choose the ones that are thicker, they are more sturdy.

thanks peeps! will take a look later and consolidate my findings! ^^