Tripod or handheld for macro?

handheld or use tripod for macro shots?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chenwei

Sep 6, 2002
Singapore
Just wanna find out ur preference, do u prefer to use flash n handheld, in order to move easily? or prefer to get a nice composition wif clean background, setup tripod and take the shot at lower shuttle speed?

This is a no brainer!

Don't even think about it. Whether you use flash or not, tripod is mandatory for MACRO shots.

Dun forget also .. Mirror Lock Up + Cable release / Timer .. is a MUST :D

unless you want to put 2000W studio lighting to photo a worm passing by ... :eek:

both i also use, i dun understand is there a need to put in the tripod all the time? i use tripod sparingly as its delays my work, like to sketch around for angles. i shoot stilllifes. objects as small as 1.5cm

i use flash and so i sync around 1/125. f8-36 (depends on subject) so tripods are not mandatory in my books.

Belle&Sebastain said:
both i also use, i dun understand is there a need to put in the tripod all the time? i use tripod sparingly as its delays my work, like to sketch around for angles. i shoot stilllifes. objects as small as 1.5cm

i use flash and so i sync around 1/125. f8-36 (depends on subject) so tripods are not mandatory in my books.

You may be able to freeze motion with flashes. But precise composition for tiny objects requires VERY STEADY hands, not because of the fear of getting out of focus, but very tiny movements can lead to tremendous changes in perspective. I scout around for angles too. When I find an angle I like, out come the tripod for precise framing. You can be lucky and get away with it. But for consistent work, tripod are mandatory.

I feel that for really closeup work, a tripod is mandatory. It's not so much as freezing motion, but more of ensuring that your very limited DOF is where you want it. A shiver in the hand can throw your entire picture out of whack, especially if you are using stuff like macro lens + closeup lens + extension tube + teleconvertor together.

For normal butterflies/dragonflies/large insects shoots however, than using flash is a much better alternative as DOF isn't as limited in the extreme closeup range, and freezing motion is very important, as oppose to when shooting still life. Moreover, the extra degree of mobility a flash grants you is more useful in insect shoots.

b18 said:
Dun forget also .. Mirror Lock Up + Cable release / Timer .. is a MUST :D

unless you want to put 2000W studio lighting to photo a worm passing by ... :eek:

2000w after 1 shot its cooked, so better take another shot to see the smoke... :bsmilie:

i think depends on the subject, if its super small with fast movement, have to use hands, as its constantly moving, when its steady, u set tripod, off it goes... if its slow moving, den a tripod can be used.. like product macro, surely u will use tripod and take your time to compose the picture... but u can't train a worm to stand still... unless the worm is dead... :sweat:

student said:
You may be able to freeze motion with flashes. But precise composition for tiny objects requires VERY STEADY hands, not because of the fear of getting out of focus, but very tiny movements can lead to tremendous changes in perspective. I scout around for angles too. When I find an angle I like, out come the tripod for precise framing. You can be lucky and get away with it. But for consistent work, tripod are mandatory.

care to share some of your macro shots?

EiRiK said:
care to share some of your macro shots?

Looks like the days I can

1 avoid buying a scanner and
2 avoid learning how to put an image into the computer and then uploading to websites,

are coming to an end soon!

Until then, I can only show you real prints, not digital ones.

mpenza said:
I used to shoot macros handheld with the Fujifilm S602Z and Casio QV-2900UX.

We all can shoot macro handheld with any camera with or without flashes.

The point that I was making (also Del_C), is that with macro shots, a slight change in the position will change the perspective. Also the very narrow depth of field is another important consideration.

The other issue is that when one talk about "macro", what is being referred to? Butterflies? Or as Belle&Sebastian mentioned, as small as 1.5cm? What is the magnification? 1:1? 2:1? 4:1?

Whether handheld or tripod it all depends on the style of the photographer. Be it butterflies or tiny flies, a good shot can still be achieved using either method even at 1:1 magnification. Background, composition or even sharpness can be similarly achieved if you apply the techniques correctly.

One advantage of using tripod is you have the luxury to use lower ISO settings.

One advantage of handholding is you have the flexibity of speed and composition.

it is not black and white, use the appropriate method as the situation requires. how do you use tripod when the subject doesn't stay still or is 1cm on the ground? it is not helpful for the uninitiated to read words like "mandatory".

I use both incidentally.

Sometimes, you may want a very small aperture to get a deep DOF (so that most parts of the object is in sharp focus). Having a tripod will allow you to do that.

student said:
The point that I was making (also Del_C), is that with macro shots, a slight change in the position will change the perspective.

u mean focus?

jumbocrab said:
Sometimes, you may want a very small aperture to get a deep DOF (so that most parts of the object is in sharp focus). Having a tripod will allow you to do that.

you can handheld too, the key is the amount of light, not whether you have tripod or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.